PDA

View Full Version : Race Across the Sky (Leadville Trail 100)

rspecker
10-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Sorry if this has been covered in another thread . . .

But I saw the documentary last night. It is outstanding, and inspirational. Catch a showing if you can.

Lance haters should stay home.

spacemen3
10-23-2009, 11:35 AM
I also enjoyed the film. It was cool to see four of my friends in it, too. They commented afterwards that it was much colder than it looked. :)

protege55
10-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Wish they would have spent a little more time on some of the other competitors - the story about the lady in the car crash was pretty compelling...more of that would have been cool. Loved the guy in the "hazmat" yellow rain suit trying to get up Columbine...

The coverage of the race from the front was epic, though. Watching Lance (sorry to those of you who can't stand him) is like watching a machine...unreal.

Overall it was a pretty amazing film.

Bytesiz
10-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Is this going to be released on DVD at some point? It sounds good, but not good enough for me to pay $12.50 and drive 4 hours to see it.

johnnymossville
10-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I went to see it with my wife last night and it was nearly a full house. She even came away inspired. Definitely worth seeing.

Steelhead
10-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Is this going to be released on DVD at some point? It sounds good, but not good enough for me to pay $12.50 and drive 4 hours to see it.

You're not gonna have to spend that or drive to get there cause it was one night/one showing only :crap:

I really liked it. I also wish there would have been more coverage of the "everyday" riders and inspirational stories. I was very fond of Dave Weins and how humble and unassuming he was/is. I felt like he got ganged up on with LA bringing his pacers out to drive the race so hard and then fall back. I wish the Lance/Dave showdown would have been more "mano a mano"

I'm entering the lottery with a riding buddy to see if we get in for 2010! :)

PaMtbRider
10-23-2009, 02:56 PM
My wife and I saw this last night and really enjoyed the show. I actually like Lance more, after seeing him in this. I was never a Lance hater, just not a big fan. I would like to try Leadville in a year or two if some of the celebrity status goes away. I have raced the local 100 mile off road event, the wilderness 101. The W101 has longer sections of technical single track. I just wonder how much that would make up for racing and living at 400 feet above sea level, as opposed to 10,000 feet.

hokoman
10-23-2009, 03:00 PM
i must be a tough critic because i didn't think the movie was that good. it was "ok" - but dragging 3 of my friends to go see it and shelling out $50 wasn't worth it. lance is definitely awesome, he knew how to draft, dw obviously is not as comfortable sitting in on someone's wheel. my favorite guy was the one with the vetta helmet and the original front tire! i think watching triathlon coverage on nbc is just as inspiring. they focused on the race portion of it too much... not about the everyday folk like me and you. just my opinion.

chuckred
10-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Wish they would have spent a little more time on some of the other competitors - the story about the lady in the car crash was pretty compelling...more of that would have been cool. Loved the guy in the "hazmat" yellow rain suit trying to get up Columbine...

The coverage of the race from the front was epic, though. Watching Lance (sorry to those of you who can't stand him) is like watching a machine...unreal.

Overall it was a pretty amazing film.

I think the guy in the yellow suit was also the guy in the old helmet with the old bike and "Fred" - the guy with the mechanic's shirt on - Ricky. He's one of the guys who's always there - and surprisingly fast giving credence to the "its not the bike, it's the motor". He's always has a good answer when folks ask the inevitable "what's the best tire", or "what bike should I buy for the race"! Including him was a nice nod at the "regulars" who have been showing up for years before the celebrity factor hit.

Personally, I thought the flick did a pretty good job of showing the suffering both for the elite levels and for the weekend warriors. There's obvioulsy a lot of emotion - from Dave Wiens tearing up at the award ceremony to the sobbing of those who miss the cut. While Lance may have made it look "easy" to some, I think from the nervous look at the start line to the "I was freezing my ass off" comment before Columbine, to the fear in his eyes when confronted with a flat, I have to think he was suffering as much as anyone - just not for nearly as long as most!

I met Matt Shriver's dad the day before as I was getting back from a quick spin at Twin Lakes. A very unassuming guy - I thought he was just some guy out to find out where to crew for his son until he slipped that Lance had asked his son to ride with him! When I told him that I was rooting for Dave, he understood and said that, as a boy, Matt had always had a poster of Dave on his wall and that he was one of his idols.

My daughter, who had crewed for me before, enjoyed it as it helped her see what the race is "really" like. Her take away was that it wasn't easy for anyone.

ericspin
10-23-2009, 07:37 PM
So what about those of us who missed it? Is there a way to see it now?

PaMtbRider
10-23-2009, 07:38 PM
The DVD is supposed to be available in February.

tiretrax
10-23-2009, 08:37 PM
also, email the producers and request another showing. that was something they said at the end of the movie.

i, too, would have liked more focus on some of the other participants. it would have made for better race coverage. the story about the woman who was recovering from being hit by a car was compelling and even brought tears to my eyes. why didn't they have more footage of her? what does it take for an ordinary human to make it through that ride? i enjoy following armstrong's career, but the movie suffered from being lance-centric, like versus coverage of the cycling.

if i knew the dvd would be out in february, i would have saved the 62.50 i shelled out to see this with the family.

1centaur
10-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Doesn't take much to pump out DVDs once you have the movie done. Surprised they are missing the Xmas selling window as that was on my wish list.

kaze
10-28-2009, 10:26 AM
If anyone missed it and wants to see it on the big screen, they're having an encore showing on November 12th. As of today, participating theaters TBD…

http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/Sports/RaceAcrossTheSkyENC.aspx

:cool: