PDA

View Full Version : Arkel, and OMM?

jpw
10-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Anyone using Arkel bags?

Anyone using rear OMM racks?

I wonder what your opinion is? I've always been an Ortlieb man, but I'm considering my options.

Thx, Jason.

GD2002
10-23-2009, 07:54 AM
I have the Tail Rider and the old Utility baskets for grocery shopping trips.
They are worth the price in my opinion but not for the weight-conscious folks

paulrad9
10-23-2009, 10:03 AM
On some touring boards, the debate between Arkel and Ortlieb can go on for pages which lead me to believe they are equally admired.

I like my Arkels and have several types. I find them well designed from a strength and usability perspective - plenty of pockets and well thought out places to store stuff.

fiamme red
10-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I like my Arkels and have several types. I find them well designed from a strength and usability perspective - plenty of pockets and well thought out places to store stuff.I've never used Arkel, but every Ortlieb bag I've owned has had zero pockets. It can be an adventure digging through an overstuffed Ortlieb pannier to find small objects.

Pete Serotta
10-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Used it on a week trip and it was waterproof and held the items I needed without any negative handling of the bike....

First class product. I have had no reason to consider another brand

sam.g
10-23-2009, 12:12 PM
This past August I rode the 960 mile Washington Parks loop with Arkel panniers. The Arkel products included a pair of the GT-18 front panniers (which were mounted in the rear to a Nitto rack), their small Bar Bag and the Tailrider. Fortunately I also purchased the rain covers for the panniers which were used frequently.

I found the pannier pockets very convenient since I was constantly retreiving then repacking rain gear and the pockets allowed me to segregate wet articles from dry. I also highly recommend the Arkel Bar bag, great for holding maps, camera, snax, valuables and anything for which you need easy access.

The only downside to all the pckets is that you need a consitent packing plan and need to remember your plan. After several days, I knew right where to go for anything. Well engineered and well made products, highly recommended.

Sam in Cincy

aosty
10-23-2009, 12:22 PM
A few friends and I did an 7-day offroad ride with OMM racks mounted on a variety of different frames (all without rack mounts) and experienced zero problems.

A few of us also used the affordable waterproof rolltop panniers from Performance and Nashbar... they worked fine but the construction, materials, and design aren't even close to Ortlieb.

I also own a Arkel Tailrider (didn't use it on the trip) and like it very much... it's very well thought out.