PDA

View Full Version : Ricco's suspension not 2 years like everyone else, WHY?

bzbvh5
10-22-2009, 11:43 AM
From cycling news: "The International Cycling Union (UCI) reduced Riccardo Riccò's doping suspension from 24 to 20 months today, according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.
He will also be eligible to race the 2010 Giro d'Italia. He won two stages and finished second overall in the 2008 edition."

So he only misses 1 Giro and 1 Tour with a 20 month suspension. Basso, Ullrich, Landis and others miss 2 of each race with the traditional 24 month suspension. Why is what did Ricco less offensive to cycling and the fans who follow cycling?

gasman
10-22-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't understand the decision. Ricco's a punk as far asI can tell.

Acotts
10-22-2009, 02:32 PM
dont be surprised when Ricco's body is found behind a cafe with a rodent in his mouth.

Just sayin' (pure unadulterated speculation, BTW)

derosa_guy
10-22-2009, 02:58 PM
I was under the impression that he received a reduced sentence for admitting he took the dope and for working with the prosecutors.

bzbvh5
10-22-2009, 03:06 PM
It seems that each country has its own doping rules and agenda.

CONI (Italy) gave Ricco 20 months then the UCI said no 24, now it's back down to 20. My opinion - just in time to get Ricco in the Giro.

Valverde can race everywhere except Italy. What's that all about?

During Operation Puerto, it seems the Spanish looked the other way when charging Spanish riders verse riders of other nationalities.

The AFLD (France) seem to be unable to trust any lab that doesn't find negative results. After all, if you test the American stuff enough times at enough labs, you're bound to find something eventually.

With all the infighting and mistrust, soon no country will recognize any other countries exclusion of riders for doping offenses. Doping penalties will be non-existent and people will pay even less attention to bike races as they do to Barry Bonds home run record - if you could call it a record.

torquer
10-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Speaking of doping penalties, as I recall the standard ban used to be two years (I guess for a first offense) followed by two years away from any ProTour team. This year, though, we've seen Basso and Vino return to top-tier teams and to competition in Grand Tours. When did the second penalty phase get dropped?