PDA

View Full Version : 28 spoke rear wheel

redblack
02-15-2005, 02:29 PM
For those of you that a use a 28 spoke rear wheel. How do you have them
laced?, what type of spokes?,any durability issues? what do you weigh?
160lbs w/clinchers and dreaming of new summer wheels.

dsimon
02-15-2005, 02:50 PM
dura ace 28 hole hub laced to mavic oopen pro rims, black, 14g straight laced radial non drive and 3x drive and weight. shush(200-210) the only thing is that they kept coming untrue until i had them retrued and then i put locktight color blue on thye nipples works great no problems :D

David Kirk
02-15-2005, 03:12 PM
I ride old Mavic SSC Paris Roubaix rims laced 2 cross into Dura Ace hubs. They are 28h and I weigh about 185. I ride them on pavement , dirt, single track....where ever I'm going and beyond the few tweaks on the spokes after the first ride I haven't touched them.

At your weight so should have no issues.

Enjoy!

Dave

christian
02-15-2005, 03:22 PM
I have a rear 28h Dura-Ace hub laced 2x with 14/15 DT Competition spokes into Mavic CXP30 rim. The front is a 24h version of same.

It has remained true for me, at approximately 165lbs over the last 2000 miles. Considering how much those rims weigh, I would expect so...

- Christian

Ozz
02-15-2005, 04:33 PM
How much to four spokes and nipples weigh?

flydhest
02-15-2005, 04:39 PM
it's likely obvious, but I'll say it anyway. 28 can be enough, however, all of this presupposes the wheels are built well. Good wheelbuilders can make those wheels strong enough for you, I have no doubt. The key is in getting high and even tension on the spokes. If the person building them is new, I'd be more cautious. It would be worth making sure whoever builds them is good.

redblack
02-15-2005, 04:56 PM
"How much to four spokes and nipples weigh?"
not very much, but if they are not needed, why bring
them to the party.

cs124
02-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Ultegra hub, Open pro, 14g spokes 3X, 145 lb. Trued once in around 8,000km.

However, that is the second rim on that hub. The first was a Campy Omega V that got trashed in what I like to call a "racing incident". No fault of the wheel though, I blame the nut on the end of the stem.

ShockTreatment
02-16-2005, 05:01 AM
My rear fixed gear wheel is cross 2, 15 gage on Mavic Open 4 CD. I weigh 155 pounds and use them for everything, including commuting on awful roads, and I haven't broken any spokes yet. I'm planning to rebuild them with tubulars, and will probably switch to 14/15 ga just to be safe.

Bill Bove
02-16-2005, 05:42 AM
175lbs, Record hub strung 2x to a Campy Montreal rim with DT 14/15 spokes and brass nipples. 28h=2x, 32h=3x, 36h=4x, just the way I always built my wheels and I never had any real issues with them, now I ride mostly prebuilts, Neutrons and Eurus'.

flydhest
02-16-2005, 07:46 AM
My rear fixed gear wheel is cross 2, 15 gage on Mavic Open 4 CD. I weigh 155 pounds and use them for everything, including commuting on awful roads, and I haven't broken any spokes yet. I'm planning to rebuild them with tubulars, and will probably switch to 14/15 ga just to be safe.

Curious, do you use brakes or do you stop with the pedals? I broke two spokes on my wheels on my fixie (commuting on crappy roads in all weather, I'm a big guy, yadda, yadda) but only after I stopped using the brake and was doing all of my braking either through resistance, skidding, or skipping the rear wheel. I believe (not really going out on a limb) that this type of riding is harder on a wheel.

ShockTreatment
02-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Curious, do you use brakes or do you stop with the pedals?

Almost all of my braking is back-pedaling. The front brake is for panic stops, and almost never use it. I am a lightweight, and have gotten away with 24 spoke wheels with stupid-light rims for the kilo on the track

93legendti
02-19-2005, 03:37 PM
it's likely obvious, but I'll say it anyway. 28 can be enough, however, all of this presupposes the wheels are built well. Good wheelbuilders can make those wheels strong enough for you, I have no doubt. The key is in getting high and even tension on the spokes. If the person building them is new, I'd be more cautious. It would be worth making sure whoever builds them is good.

Dave Thomas built me 2 such wheels in 2003, with 28 spokes mated to Velocity's offset rim and they have not neede to be trued yet.

Climb01742
02-19-2005, 04:52 PM
now I ride mostly prebuilts, Neutrons and Eurus'.

bill, how would you compare the ride of those two wheels? thanks, climb. ;)

Bill Bove
02-19-2005, 06:22 PM
bill, how would you compare the ride of those two wheels? thanks, climb. ;)
I notice very little difference between the two. Maybe the Neutrons are a small bit more compliant the Eurus' are stiffer, but not to the point where either characteristic is dominant. I ride the Neutrons more often only because they're on my Legend wich is my daily driver and the Eurus' are on my aluminum "hot rod". When strengh is a concern, be it rough roads or something I feel more confident on the Eurus', when light weight is the primary concern it's the Eurus in the rear and Neutron up front. If I had to choose only one of the two for everyday use I'd take the Eurus. They are a good all around wheel. The Neutrons are also great but that little bit of percieved added strength of the Euros tips the scale in their favor. A side note James, Record hubs laced 2x to a Mavic Open Pro with 15/16 butted spokes and alloy nipples on the front wheel and 14/15 brass nipples on the rear drive side and 15/16 alloy nips non drive will yield a very light, strong set of wheels that will be much easier to repair when the inevitable oops does happen. But pre-builts have a higher cool factor.

Just remembered your one those guys using that new fangled Dura Ace gear, I hear it's good and may catch on. Try the American Classic hubs in place of Tulio's gems and save even more grams.