PDA

View Full Version : Continental Sprinter Tubular

terrytnt
10-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Anyone used this tubular for everyday training? How does it hold up? Was also thinking of using it for indoor roller training during the coming winter months, thoughts? Is it smooth enough to not create thumping on ultra smooth rollers?

thanks,

TAW
10-21-2009, 08:16 AM
I had a set on a pair of tubulars, and they wear very well. I never tried them on rollers, so I can't comment on that, but they should have lots of tread life.

terrytnt
10-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks TAW, appreciate your feedback!

csm
10-21-2009, 08:17 AM
I'd be careful using any tubular on rollers. the heat generated can cause the tire to wander.
or so I read somewhere.
I am a fan of the sprinters tho. good all around tire atmo.

djg
10-21-2009, 07:15 PM
I'd be careful using any tubular on rollers. the heat generated can cause the tire to wander.
or so I read somewhere.
I am a fan of the sprinters tho. good all around tire atmo.

Er . . . I guess you pedal faster than I do. I haven't had that problem.

XTC
10-21-2009, 08:46 PM
I think that on rollers their out of roundness can be felt and it is a bit annoying....

MsRN
10-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I've Sprinters on my Ritchey; they've worn very well, but lack the smoothness of Vittoria CXes. Given the cost and labor factor involved in tubies (love 'em), I'd recommend getting a cheap pair of clinchers for pedalling circles to nowhere, and save the tubulars for when ride quality really matters.

As for overheating...back in the day, I used to regularly blow out rear tires on my old Tacx (plastic) rollers. I've not noticed the problem on my Kreitlers, but I've only limited hours on them.

My $0.02...good luck!

M:)

10-21-2009, 10:32 PM
You'll never generate significant heat on rollers, even with a resistance unit on them. I often ride rollers at length and/or at high speed on lightweight 145 gram track tubulars and don't even wear down the tread. If your rollers are out of round they will pound up the tire a bit, but modern high quality rollers don't have any such problems.

Definitely on rollers when you start up you'll feel every little dip or bump on your tubulars. However, it's a rare tubular that's as smooth as a clincher so you just want to avoid the really bad ones. At 18 mph you really feel the bumps. At 25 you don't. At 35 you aren't thinking about them. If a tubular is round enough not to jam under my fork crown or seat stay bridge, it's fine to ride rollers on. Just ride fast. And I sprint out of the saddle, ride handsfree, etc. on these tires. I'm no master of the rollers, just ride them like everyone has to at the track. TruTrainers, by the way.

false_Aest
10-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Given the cost and labor factor involved in tubies (love 'em), I'd recommend getting a cheap pair of clinchers for pedalling circles to nowhere, and save the tubulars for when ride quality really matters.

The same advice was given to me by a friend/coach and the owner/mechanic (and cat 2) of a store I know and trust.

toaster
10-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Currently using Sprinters. Nice all around tubies.

Gothard
10-22-2009, 04:31 AM
I had a rear sprinter that was showing casing that I used for another 500kms until the tread was *completely* gone. I chickened out and changed it, but still had no flats.

terrytnt
10-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I would have to echo 11.4's comments. About this time of year through February, I live on my rollers (TruTrainer - absolutely the best). I ride each night for over a little over an hour, ~ 28 miles and watch Fox News. You're right, 11.4, that as the speed accelerates, the slight thumping minimizes. I was just curious if the Sprinter was durable enough and would acccommodate me for the next 4+ months.

Melting the cement off the tubular is NOT a problem. I do, however, eventually get some wear, particularly if I'm using a season old tire like my Veloflex (it's when I approach 4K+ miles that I may get a blow-out on the rollers). Never a problem, and usaully before I glue my new sets of Veloflex for the coming season.

bostondrunk
10-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I've had great luck with sprinters as well.
A couple of notes:
1. Are you more concerned about puncture resistance or ride quality? If puncture resistance, go with the sprinter. If ride, go with the Vittoria CX.

2. By the end of the outdoor riding season, your rear tire should be worn enough that you don't care about destroying it on the rollers/trainer! If the tire still happens to be relatively new, then take it off and put on a $20 Vittoria Rally tubular for the winter.

10-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Note that rollers do put a little more torsion on a tire than regular road riding -- the entry and exit angles of approach are higher and pressure is localized into a smaller contact patch because of the convex shape. For this reason I'd be cautious about going to a really cheap tire since they can give you other problems including casing separation and a tread separation from the casing. A better, used tire would usually be safer, at least compared to a tire as inexpensive as the Rally. I don't honestly trust those on the road either. A Sprinter shouldn't be a problem. However, note that for little more you can get a Vittoria Evo Corsa CX II in a 21 mm width from PBK. Very nice tire for the rollers and you'll ride it most of next year as well. (I only recommend the 21 over the 23 because on rollers the 23 will need quite a bit of pressure not to bog down.) And by the way, on rollers you typically do a bit more pressure than on the road. It's a bit safer. Certainly don't drop pressure to increase resistance like some people suggest -- you can have a tire failure that way.

terrytnt
10-22-2009, 12:01 PM
That's any interesting point, 11.4, about pressure with rollers. I tend to use the same pressure settings on the road as my rollers (100 front/ 115 back - Veloflex). Are you suggesting I increase pressure on the rear for rollers? If so, what would you suggest?

many thanks,

tnt

10-22-2009, 04:40 PM
That's any interesting point, 11.4, about pressure with rollers. I tend to use the same pressure settings on the road as my rollers (100 front/ 115 back - Veloflex). Are you suggesting I increase pressure on the rear for rollers? If so, what would you suggest?

many thanks,

tnt

For tubulars, I usually do about 140 psi which is generally what I ride daily at the track. There's quite a bit of difference in ride and resistance for every ten psi difference. If I'm riding rollers in the winter on clinchers, I use 20 mm Conti Supersonics in Kinlin KR-300 rims inflated to 130 psi. These tires have a smooth tread which minimizes tire noise and gives the best traction on rollers, and at 350 tpi or whatever, they are extremely smooth and supple even in the 20 mm width. (I use 20 because the 23's don't fit the clearances on one of my track bikes.)

You can warm up on a road bike before a race at the same pressure you'd race on, but if you want to be doing high cadence workouts at least try the higher pressure.

terrytnt
10-22-2009, 08:32 PM
This is interest. Just so I'm clear, I have the Continental Sprinter (700x22mm) Black Chili Compound. The inflation recommendation is 10 bar/ 143psi. So are you suggesting I inflate to 140psi for my TruTrainer rollers?

thanks,

tnt

10-23-2009, 12:31 AM
This is interest. Just so I'm clear, I have the Continental Sprinter (700x22mm) Black Chili Compound. The inflation recommendation is 10 bar/ 143psi. So are you suggesting I inflate to 140psi for my TruTrainer rollers?

thanks,

tnt

Different strokes for different folks. Always ignore what the tubular has printed on its sidewall. If you ride on rollers at 140 psi, you'll have a fast cadence (130-140 rpm) with lots of snap. At 130 psi you'll have reasonably fast cadence (120-130 rpm) with a tad less snap but a little more resistance. At lower pressures the same kind of trend will continue. If you want to build balance, quick response, high cadence, etc., 140 psi works well. If you're light, 130 psi might be plenty. The point is generally that if you want to optimize the training that rollers are best for, you can go to a bit higher pressure.

terrytnt
10-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Great advice. An observation with Trutrainer after two years now of use is that I find them much more challenging to maintain balance than say Kreitlers. For example, in my multiple sets on the roller (my typical training regimen), I have a slightly slower period (3-5 minutes) where I drop the cadence (100 to 90) and gear ratio (53/18) to rest. During this period, I take one hand at a time of the bars to stretch and relief pressure. My rollers & bike are so sensitive to movement that if I'm not careful I can loose control. Unlike Krietlers, I could never take both hands off the bar.

Do you find this with your Trutrainer? I bring all this up because if I increase the pressure, won't I find this situation enhanced?

csm
10-23-2009, 08:14 AM
I've not spent much time on anything other than kreitlers but I have found the kreitlers are much easier to control. I used to practice riding wheelies but had enough close calls and slips that I gave that up. I could never get the front wheel up for very long.

terrytnt
10-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Funny you say that... CSM. I first attempted rollers (after much deliberation) about 2+ years ago. A local friend had build a 'platform' that positioned the rollers we at the same level as the wheels, making quite easy to learn on. The rollers he used were Kreitlers and after just 30 minutes I was able to ride without hands, stand and even close my eyes (with supervision). This feeling is VERY different from TruTrainer which I believe may be due to the build-in flywheel and overall design. That said, my TruTrainer rollers are incredible but do require paying attention when I ride ;)

csm
10-23-2009, 10:29 AM
for any kind of playing around I'd set them next to something tall or in a doorway so that I'd have something to grab hold of.

terrytnt
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Well, I wanted to put closure to this thread (maybe). I bought the Sprinter tubular and mounted it to my 'cleaned' Shamal rear wheel rim. Then cycled 28 miles on my rollers (Trutrainer).

Result: the worst tire ever used on my rollers. Now, I totally understand machined rollers enhance any kind of defect (especially tubulars), but the thumping was so bad I it was audible! And nothing like my season-old veloflex tires.

So, my sprinter becomes a back-up spare for my outside rides and I'm back to the drawing board on finding a suitable inside roller tire for training indoors. :confused: