PDA

View Full Version : Rollers

CalfeeFly
02-15-2005, 11:10 AM
I tried rollers out for the first time last night. They are an old set with lousy bearings and such. They were a friends old ones. :bike:

How many of you out there use them, used to and quit, said to heck with it, and whatever. Personally I have never tried anything as difficult in my life on a bike and maybe my entire life. However I am balance challenged, coordination challenged, reaction challenged, concentration challenged, gravity challenged and age challenged. I'm sure I could even add a few more. :D

I was in a doorway and had two different roller riders "coaching me over the phone." Wow was I frustrated! :help:

Any other experiences? Any other opinions? A trainer is looking good right now!

P.S. I know all the advantages of rollers in such things as your spin. It just may be beyond my meager capabilities. :bike:

Ti Designs
02-15-2005, 11:28 AM
I've probably tought 100 people how to ride rollers. There are two parts, one about your pedal stroke and the second about how to make your riding instincts take over.

Pedal stroke - everything happens from the hip down. You need to be able to pdeal down the road without throwing your upper body weight around. Concentrate on this out on the road or on a trainer. I have my riders work with one leg at a time on the trainer, making the noise one consistant hum, not the whirr, whirr, whirr you'll hear if you only push down.

Set-up - make sure your front axle is as close to directly over the front roller as you can get it. Make sure that your headset works well, and if you've noticed that your bike doens't track straight you may want to get a frame builder to check that out.

Getting up on the rollers - don't watch your front wheel. Most people look down and make corrections based on where their wheel is and send themselves right off the rollers. It's a feedback loop, but there's some delay. So, you look down, you make a correction, nothing happens, you make more correction and then zip! you're off. Place an object 20 feet directly in front of you, look at it and think about riding on the road and running over that object. As soon as you forget that there are rollers down there your riding instincts will take over and you'll be up and riding. Next thing, most people freeze when they get too close to the edge - wrong! Keep the pedals moving, rollers are less stable at lower speed, or should I say the person up on the rollers is.

Bradford
02-15-2005, 11:28 AM
I love rollers, and have for about 13 years. It took me 45 minutes before I could let go of the wall, a couple of rides before I could shift comfortably, and maybe a few weeks before it was easy. Now, I wouldn’t even consider a trainer. It is a lot like water skiing: when you first try, it seems like you’ll never get it, but then it just happens and you are fine.

When you think of it, it’s really like learning to ride a bike all over again, except it is always easier to take those leaps when you are 5. The guy who taught me always said it is like riding on a 1 foot wide patch of ice for 20 miles, and that is about it. At least until you get used to them.

The first season, I had to concentrate pretty hard or I’d slip off. Now, I watch TV, watch training videos, and sometimes completely zone out. When I started, I used flat pedals and flat shoes for safety, but now I just use my regular speedplays. At first I was petrified to even take my hands off the bars, now I can grab a water bottle, and switch the computer back and forth.

I was once told at a shop that over 90% of people who buy rollers give up. I can still remember those first few rides so I understand. But if you put in the time and learn the skill, you’ll never go back.

One more thing: if you are a little balanced challenged, you are exactly the right person for rollers. Rollers will make your balance better, and that will pay off dividends when you get back on the road.

Hang in their, you'll get it.

pbbob
02-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Put off rollers for a long time due to fear of falling and failure. A month ago I said to heck with it and got some. It took 10 minutes and I took my hand off the wall and haven't had a lick of trouble since. learning to play bridge is way more difficult. trainers yuck.

alembical
02-15-2005, 11:29 AM
I got my first set (although I had ridden other people's before) for Christmas this year, and I have grown to love them. I am not yet at the point where I can just relax, do one-leg drills, or sprint, but I like them. I feel that I have noticed a difference, but I agree that the in the door frame is a great place to start.

Alembical

marle
02-15-2005, 11:57 AM
I use Kreitler rollers exclusively for my indoor training -- they are never boring because they require your attention.

I am a righty and get out of my pedals basically using only my right foot. So, my set up is in the garage with a wall 3 inches from my left side and a gym mat on my right -- with a picture of Bruce Lee ahead of me. I clip in my left foot first while propping myself against the wall. I then start to ride using a low gear and clip the right foot on. That's about it. To stop, I simply slow my pedalling to a stop and come to rest against the wall.

Tip -- use very clean and properly inflated tires.

Hope this helps.

Too Tall
02-15-2005, 12:11 PM
Make yourself ride the rollers for a few weeks and it will become second nature. Look up "roller racing" in google. It is a ton of painful fun.

Bittersweet
02-15-2005, 12:12 PM
20+ years on them and love em', if you can call riding indoors an amorous pursuit. Tried a new fangled trainer in the early 90's and was deathly bored by something that is boring to begin with. With practice it can be a just slightly twitchier version of the road which is a good thing. I can stand and climb, no hands and take off an extra layer, etc just like the road. Learn to drink out of your bottle with it in the cage as normal as well. Very little coast on rollers, unlike the road, and this skill really helps in a pack where people often weave all over the place when drinking and eating.

The above isn't to say I'm a trapeze artist in my free time as well (the klutzy opposite really). It is just practice. Ti Designs' advice is right on. Look ahead of you and make sure your set-up is correct. Also drum size is the key. My current set is very similar in resistance to the road based on rough HR, speed, distance info taken off my computer.

It is the practice that makes the time go by, unlike a trainer.

MartyE
02-15-2005, 12:39 PM
. . . They are an old set with lousy bearings and such.

I think this may be part of the problem, if they are not spinning easily they
could make for a difficult learning curve.

I love my rollers (yes I am a sick puppy) and although I also have a
cyclops fluid(2) I never use it.
A few pointers if I may.
Relax. If you are all tense any movement in your upper body is going to
telegraph down your arms and send you weaving all over the drums.
Loosen up your grip, drape your hands over the tops or hoods as opposed
to actually gripping the bars, this helped me alot.
I hated being in a doorway, it felt very clasustrophobic to me. I set up
next to a chest height counter which made for an easy grab when things
started to get out of control. I also use a single step stool next to the roller
to assist mount/dismount, that way I don't have to worry about putting my
foot down on the rails.
I can't do one leg drills but can ride no hands and do some limited standing
sprints. Hang in there it will get easier.

Marty

christian
02-15-2005, 12:49 PM
My current set is very similar in resistance to the road based on rough HR, speed, distance info taken off my computer.

What are you running? Dyno-Lytes, Poly-Lytes?

- Christian

weisan
02-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Ti-Master, you are so cool! Excellent advice once again.

CalfeeRollingfly, please be patient, it takes more than one try. The payoff is worth the admission price: pedalstrokesmoothasbutta.

Bittersweet
02-15-2005, 02:29 PM
MartyE:

Big Yankee. Old 80s turned wood drums that are dished (smaller in center). Probably about 3.5" diameter in the center but I've never bothered to measure. They have built on steps on both sides that are level with the top of the drum to aid getting on and off. Certainly something to think about if you want to have children, etc, etc should you have a miscue (most sessions).

Go try the various models of the Kreitlers with your normal bike and HRM and take a look at how things go relative to what you do on the road and choose the diameter that you like most. Probably a Dyno-Lyte (3" diameter) but you decide.

spiderman
02-15-2005, 04:06 PM
i would have to say
that reading a thread like this helped me get started rolling...

i bought a set of kreitler challengers
but had a similar view of them after my first ride...
...even though i hung on for dear life my first time
i stayed on them,
and my wife encouraged me to continue trying.
there came a point when you have to decide to let go...
...it was easier for me following the same approach outlined...
1) roller set-up: free spinning drums and front fork just behind the center
of the front roller...my initial attempt the fork was too far back...
2) roller position: being left handed or just that i'm used to it...
either a pole or the wall on my right
with my a step aerobic platform on the left
(i also now have a big yankee set with bilateral wood platforms)
3) use a nice medium gear to get started and get a good cadence going.
then, get both hands on the hoods...looking straight ahead...
4) i started making the best progress when i could see my reflection
in a window that was right in front of me...i know it sounds more
dangerous than it is...it helped me take my eyes off the front wheel
and keep looking up ahead...it also really helped me relax my hands...
i could see how tense i was...with a more relaxed, natural riding posture
i can ride for an hour easily and get a great workout!
now i can ride while watching t.v.,ride one handed
change the settings on the cycle computer,
shift easily and change/rotate hand postitions every 5-20 minutes...
...i don't get out of the saddle, ride aerobars or go no handed...
if i ride for longer than 30 minutes, i can get parasthesias
if i'm not rotating my hands...i suppose i could wear gloves
but i like the bare-handed feel.
if i want more resistance, i ride the big yankees
and 20 minutes does me in.
i can start and stop nearly unassisted on the big yankees...
i quit using the killer head wind with the kreitlers...
...it just gets plain noisy...!

so, don't give up...sounds your about ready to break through...!
keep us posted!

csb
02-15-2005, 04:07 PM
i add to ti-d's ideas: try a big gear at first. it
may help you turn smooth circles instead of
jerky-bouncy-ovals that have you twitching
the front end back + forth and eventually off _
right at the family pet.

Marron
02-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Because I commute I ride rollers more on an exception basis. That said, I've been riding them for years and can jump on them and go with no problem. One thing I was wondering about this morning (it was an exception day) was how fast do people usually go on "standard" rollers like the Kreitler Challangers. I usually ride between 25 and 30 mph with a cadence in the 100-115 range, but was wondering if that's on the slow side given the light resistance. The reason I ask is that I've always assumed that there's a beneficial stabilizing effet to more speed, i.e. the faster you go the easier it is to do tricks!

flydhest
02-15-2005, 05:41 PM
Because I commute I ride rollers more on an exception basis. That said, I've been riding them for years and can jump on them and go with no problem. One thing I was wondering about this morning (it was an exception day) was how fast do people usually go on "standard" rollers like the Kreitler Challangers. I usually ride between 25 and 30 mph with a cadence in the 100-115 range, but was wondering if that's on the slow side given the light resistance. The reason I ask is that I've always assumed that there's a beneficial stabilizing effet to more speed, i.e. the faster you go the easier it is to do tricks!

Marron, I tried commuting on my rollers for a while, too, but it wasn't very effective. After not making it to work after 45 minutes, I gave up.

Jeff Weir
02-15-2005, 05:47 PM
Fly,
If you start with your rollers outdoors, you will have much better luck commuting. I've always found getting through the front door on my rollers to be real tricky.

MartyE
02-15-2005, 06:13 PM
I telecommute on my rollers at least once a week

Marty

William
02-16-2005, 06:54 AM
I made the leap to rollers about 10 years ago and never looked backed. It was a little sketchy at first but you will catch on quickly after a little practice. Even my wife (who doesn't ride that much) was able to get the hang of them quite quickly. Ti gave some very good advice. I still like to put cane off the front of the rollers just as a reference point. I usually just pop a tour video in and off I go.
After a while riding with no hands, grabbing the water bottle etc... will be a breeze. Doing out of the saddle sprints takes a little doing at first but it will force you to smooth out...or else put burn marks in the carpet. :crap:

Stick with it, you'll get the hang of it. :)

William

Roy E. Munson
02-16-2005, 07:10 AM
When you guys say you are doing "sprints" on your rollers, can you describe what you are actually doing, please? I'm curious.

William
02-16-2005, 07:16 AM
When you guys say you are doing "sprints" on your rollers, can you describe what you are actually doing, please? I'm curious.

~Waht Roy~ :rolleyes:

;)

Meaning getting out of the saddle and winding the cadence up as fast as I possibley can while staying smooth enough to stay on the rollers.

At least that's my definition.

William

Too Tall
02-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Bittersweet - d**d don't forget I've got first dibs on the Yankee's :)
Marron - Ummm, you are flat out cooking on the rollers. That was a joke right? Right? That's a nice cruise / endurance rpm on rollers.

Sprint on rollers???? No f'in way. Seated sprints yes but not out of the saddle. When I used to roller race on a set of Belgian Competitions we'd do 1500 meter races and launch a seated sprint for the last 500 meters hitting 160+ rpms but that was IN THE SADDLE fer sher and sometimes you'd 'crack' from the effort and an assistant would have to put a hand on the head tube to make sure you didn't fall off!!! Y'all are way better than me.

Roy E. Munson
02-16-2005, 07:25 AM
Too Tall

You echoed my sentiments exactly about the seated vs standing sprints on the rollers.

Rich_W
02-16-2005, 07:30 AM
I've have 2 sets... first Kreitler with the full size drums... found them to be really noisey, and caused wicked tire wear.

Then found a used set of cycle-ops, with more of tubular rail construction, and and even larger drum. about 5". They must be 10 years old by now. They're super quiet, and the larger drums feel much more stable. I have no problem riding them for 60 min plus. I find that with the larger drums, its easier to stand up and pedal to relieve pressure (however in a stiff sort of way, and especially to ride no-handed to stretch out the back.

They work great. The only larger drum rollers I've expereinced is up at Fraysee's on the roller-racer machine. 12" wood drums... old as dirt.

Its this frankenstein looking machine something straight out of The Triplets of Belleville. And if the workout doesn't get you... you will easily succumb the the smell of catpiss in the mansion's dungeon before long (sorry to get sidetracked)

But whats interesting is that those are even easier to ride standing and no handed to stretchout just because of their super-large diameter.

William
02-16-2005, 07:33 AM
F'in WAY!! :D

I'll do seated as well, but my term is "winding up". Out of the saddle I call sprinting. Just my terminology. It's pretty sketchy at first, but you can get it. You just have to be "Buttery Smooth".

Try "winding up" and then try slowly lifting off the saddle. Taint easy and you'll feel like you'll simultaneously go off the sides and off the front of the rollers at first.

William

Roy E. Munson
02-16-2005, 07:39 AM
William,

What are you trying to accomplish this by doing it?

Ha ha - you said "taint".

Rich_W
02-16-2005, 07:40 AM
thats why I keep my rollers in the middle of the room with nothing to grab onto. Once my girl found a black tire mark on the back of the couch it was all over.

Too Tall
02-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Rich - You RACED on the bikeworks roller machine??? I am in awe. If anyone does not know about this check this out:
http://www.bikecult.com/works/rollers04K.html

The owner of College Park Bicycles (Maryland) has two sets of these and used to have races. I've begged and pleaded for him to sell me one of the sets so I can run a race series similar to Bike Works. Maybe someday.

Rich_W
02-16-2005, 07:51 AM
No... not that set... but the same idea. Except made of wood drums. Mike's pre-date those... post-war era. So old, the rollers are chain-drive.

William
02-16-2005, 07:56 AM
William,

What are you trying to accomplish this by doing it?

Ha ha - you said "taint".

There twisn't ;) a particular training goal in mind when I do this. I just do it to see how fast I can wind up while staying smooth and on the rollers. I like to think it has handling benefits that carry over to real riding. Nothing I can quantifiably prove though.

William

CalfeeFly
02-16-2005, 05:43 PM
I greatly appreciate all the suggestions and support I am given new hope!

You guys are great! :beer:

dirtdigger88
02-16-2005, 10:24 PM
thanks for the tips folks- I just played in the basement for an hour- I think I actually have the hang of rollers now- side note- Arione saddles scuff easily when they hit the concrete floor :crap: But after that I got it- once I got up for a few seconds I got the feel for what I needed to do- I think I am going to like these a bunch- I dont even know what kind I have, a friend of mine was moving and gave me his. they are older than dirt but they seem smooth enough for me. :banana:

jason

csb
02-16-2005, 10:33 PM
relax your grip + relax your shoulders

dirtdigger88
02-16-2005, 10:35 PM
yes sir :D

jason

csb
02-16-2005, 10:37 PM
+ riding in the drops gets it done quicker,
especially if you have a fan pointed at yourself

Too Tall
02-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Are my roots showing?

An old skul method to safely add some drag to your workout is to wedge one or two playing cards into your front spokes.

William, that scares the carp outtta me...the standing thing. Impressive though. Say, what is the sound of a Titan if he falls in the forest and no one is there to see?

William
02-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Say, what is the sound of a Titan if he falls in the forest and no one is there to see?

Depends on how many bottles of JACK are HANDY.

William

"The crows keep calling my name", thought Caw. :rolleyes:

flydhest
02-17-2005, 10:12 AM
William,

I know a couple of folk who can out-of-saddle on rollers. I haven't made myself learn yet. You rock. Or more likely, you don't. I amazed myself (not a difficult feat) when I learned how to ride without hands on rollers and could sit up and take off my jersey. After corresponding with out-of-saddle types, I felt pedestrian again.

(grumble, grumble)

William
02-17-2005, 12:05 PM
I never really thought too much about it. I was riding the rollers one evening watching a tour video keeping tempo to what was happening on the screen. When it came to the final sprint, I decided to try it. Scary but fun, then I just kept practicing after that.

One thing I haven't tried is actually riding up to the rollers from behind and hopping on and spinning away. A guy we used to train and race with back in the early 90's could do it. Ride up and pop the front wheel clear of the rear drums, roll up a little more and bunny hop on. Spin for while and then hop off forward, roll*and then hop the rear wheel over the front drum and ride away. No real practical application but hey, fun to try. This guy was an Jr Olympic RR champ & raced in Europe so he practically lived on his bike 24/7.

William

Too Tall
02-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Stupid roller tricks. It's like art for art's sake isn't it? Sigh, I love this game.

Dekonick
02-17-2005, 12:39 PM
FOr anyone that is having a hard time learning to ride rollers - check out performance - they make an elliptical 'training' set - just has a slight curve on each end so if you start to veer off it gently corrects you to the center (kinda like bumpers except you can still shoot off)

I bot a set on sale for @150 or so - I like em alot. Its actually pretty easy to ride em after you loosen up a little bit.

Whatever you do: Put a sheet or something you dont mind ruining underneath your rollers. The first few times you will go off and make a nice black tire burn mark - I have 3 in our workout room. The wife is still pissed about that...

:)

dirtdigger88
02-17-2005, 01:27 PM
fun pix of rollers

http://www.bikecult.com/works/rollers.html

jason

csb
02-17-2005, 02:11 PM
i ride 'em standing but have yet to master the sans hands.
i do not 'sprint' standing, its just to stretch the legs a bit.

flydhest
02-17-2005, 02:17 PM
complements and compliments

csb
02-17-2005, 02:30 PM
donate donut(s)

flydhest
02-17-2005, 02:48 PM
prostrate prostate

djg
02-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Just relax and look ahead. And take it in small doses until you think you're making progress. You'll get it.

What I like about the doorway method of getting started is that it gives you an intermediate point between bailing and riding. Basically, your body will get the hang of this if you keep at it. Bailing keeps you from falling, but it doesn't reinforce anything much other than bailing. By flaring out an elbow or two toward the doorframe, you can help to steady yourself while still riding. Think of the whole system (bike, rollers, doorposts, etc.) as a big biofeedback device. Keep the feedback coming, and your body will get the hang of how to sit, spin, and so forth, to make it all work.

womancyclist
02-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Bought my Kreitler Dyn-Lyte Rollers about 5 years ago...
The first winter season with them I thought I would never get the hang
of it! It wasn't unitll next season, one day I got on and that was it, I was
balanced and rollin along! Now I only need a chair next to me for getting
on and off. To hop on and off easily I apply the front brake to stabalize my
bike while holding on to the chair and hop right on.

If I had to just ride a trainer I would go crazy!
To mix thing up I'll ride on the rollers and then do intervals on the trainer.
The time goes by faster that way...

Rollers make you spin more naturally and are great for balance.
Keep at it, you'll get the hang of it!
Kreitler are the best, worth every penny!

dirtdigger88
02-17-2005, 05:40 PM
has anyone heard of Cortina rollers- the sticker on the side says "A Mel Pinto" product- they also say they are made in Italy- so they have to be good- right?

Jason

csb
02-17-2005, 09:25 PM
ken can

Too Tall
02-18-2005, 06:56 AM
Jason, Cortina's were imported by the g-dfather of euro bike parts Mel Pinto. He still lives and breath...old as dirt...in suburban virginia. I recently talked to the old dood and he STILL making sales! Awesome guy.

The rollers are gems. Don't ever let them go. Very well made and if you have the same ones I do they are a pretty heavy aluminum rollers that are round and smooooth with big cartridge bearings and they fold.

SA WEEET.

dirtdigger88
02-18-2005, 07:20 AM
yes- yes mr Too tall

that's what I have- they are the only rollers I have ever been on but they seem nice enough- A friend gave them to me almost a year ago and I tried them once or twice but couldn't get the hang of it- so I put them away. This thread- and the fact that mrs dirt is in jamaica ;) - inspired me to get them out and try- Two hours over the last two nights- I sorta got it now- I watched Trump's show last night in the living room while on the rollers- ie mrs dirt is gone (I feel like a kid whose parents are away) :cool: To sir william- I was able to stand up last night- I will have to work on being able to hammer out of the saddle though- my hat is tipped to you for this skill- :D

jason

MartyE
02-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Too Tall,
Mel Pinto imports, Annandale Road, Falls Church Va. I lived about a mile
from there (before both Mel & Co and I moved). I remember
wandering into the shop he ran downstairs as a neophyte and not
knowing much about anything but I knew that all those shiny campy parts
had to be mine.

Ok, back to rollers.
I tried the standing thing this morning. What I found that worked
for me was to move forward off of the saddle and then straighten
up as opposed to doing a stand and sprint. I can hold it for about a
minute before I begin to feel all squirrely and out of control (my natural
state).

Marty

William
02-18-2005, 10:26 AM
sir william- I was able to stand up last night- I will have to work on being able to hammer out of the saddle though- my hat is tipped to you for this skill-

jason

I tried the standing thing this morning. What I found that worked
for me was to move forward off of the saddle and then straighten
up as opposed to doing a stand and sprint. I can hold it for about a
minute before I begin to feel all squirrely and out of control (my natural
state).

Marty

:cool: :cool: :cool: :banana: :beer:

William

Too Tall
02-18-2005, 12:34 PM
You are my hero. Hey, you can still see some of the good old stuff in the showcase at The Bicycle Pro shop in Georgetown...yep that's the shop just a block from the EXORCIST STAIRS!

MartyE
02-18-2005, 02:09 PM
I remember drooling all over the counter in that shop...

Marty

dirtdigger88
02-18-2005, 02:16 PM
I am absolutly amazed at the work out I have gotten with two nights on the rollers- I can feel it in my legs so much more than on the trainer- the best part is that I can tell I worked through my mid- section. It is the difference between having to keep your balance and being held in place- I love it.

Jason

marle
02-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Jason,

You'll never go that trainer again. I know I haven't since I started with rollers.

spiderman
02-18-2005, 04:15 PM
with your wife out of town...
...i'd want mine around
in order to call 911
when i knock myself out
on the glass coffee table by my rollers...
:bike:

weisan
02-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Before anyone claims that they can either brush their teeth, play the flute, fry an omelette or doing all three together at the same time while ridding rollers....Or the fact that if they are hooked up to the neighborhood power grid, they can provide electricity, let's bring our attention back to a true master of the art. He's gonna show you cats the proper form and technique, so don't blink!

Before we start watching the video, here's the usual warning: Do not attempt this at home. Adult supervision required. Jason, definitely a good idea to wait till Mrs Dirt comes back. :D

http://alicehui.com/serotta/rollers/rollers.jpg (http://alicehui.com/serotta/rollers/rollers2.mpg)
Click on the image to bring up the movie.
Limited Seating. Show times expire on President's Day Weekend. Not Rated.

Enjoy! :p

weisan

Edited: Monday Feb 21st
Sorry, I am curtailing the viewing. If you like, you can PM me for a special seating. :D