PDA

View Full Version : Decoding Serotta serial number?

el-cid
10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Long time lurker (mostly in the excellent classifieds); first time posted anywhere other than classifieds due to the fact that (drumroll please) I actually own a Serotta now.

Long story short, I had my Ventana El Commandante 29er up for sale and wound up trading it for a ti. Serotta CX bike. I built up a pretty nice Airborne Carpe Diem ti. CX bike last year and most certainly wasn't in the market for another CX bike but when I saw pics of the Serotta I just couldn't resist. Needless to say, the Airborne will be up for sale very soon. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out when the frame was built. The serial number is: CGT 56M 028. I searched the site and guess the CGT refers to model (dunno which), the 56 refers to size (although it seems to measure 57cm square) and 028 refers to the 28th frame built (though 28th of the year, series or what I don't know).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'll be posting a more fleshed out post shortly once I have the bike dialled in. I will say that it's the smoothest riding road/CX bike I've ever ridden and I've had some pretty decent stuff.

Thanks!

johnny1221
10-20-2009, 11:10 PM
I have had some experience with this but I'm certainly no expert. I'm fairly sure that the following is correct: The C means that its custom geometry as opposed to standard. The GT refers to the model but I don't know specifically which one was designated with those letters. The 28 means that it was the 28th of that particular model that was made. Hope that helps.

el-cid
10-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Johnny, thanks for the input. What I'd really like to figure out is how old the frame is. For the most part it looks like the current CX frame but the head tube isn't eccentrically machined.