PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing replacement

false_Aest
10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Bearings on my front wheel went bad.

Replacements coming.

HED Sonic hub. (Bastogne wheels). Press in bearings.

Can't seem to find a tool for it on the park website.

Thoughts?

dave thompson
10-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Use gently.

dave thompson
10-20-2009, 02:41 PM
On a serious note, contact Hed for info regarding correct tool.

cmg
10-20-2009, 02:43 PM
can you remove the axel to expose the inside/backside of the bearing? If you can take a screw driver and knock it out. Or take a cheap screw driver and place the nib in a wise and bend into an "L" or "J", hook the back of bearing and pull. do this to 2 screw drivers, place on opposite sides of interior bearing hole, put washers in between them, squeeze back end of the screwdrivers so that the tips flare to grip inside of bearing and pull. or you could buy the bearing puller from enduro http://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/products/enduro-cartridge-bearing-puller-tool/ Suspect it would only last long enough to pull 1-2 bearings before the edges would fail.

paulrad9
10-20-2009, 02:45 PM
I thought the attractiveness of bearings was the elimination of tools..otherwise, cup & cone starts looking mighty attractive again.

Dave
10-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I've always used a large screwdriver inserted through the opposite side of the hub to knock the bearings out.

To install new ones, it is critical that any force only be applied to the outer race. I've always used a soft hammer to start the bearings back into the bores, gently tapping around the OD. Most bearings are recessed slightly, so I find a socket wrench that's barely smaller than the bearing bore and use that to finish tapping the bearings into place.

Only takes a few minutes to do.

cmg
10-20-2009, 02:55 PM
I've always used a large screwdriver inserted through the opposite side of the hub to knock the bearings out.

To install new ones, it is critical that any force only be applied to the outer race. I've always used a soft hammer to start the bearings back into the bores, gently tapping around the OD. Most bearings are recessed slightly, so I find a socket wrench that's barely smaller than the bearing bore and use that to finish tapping the bearings into place.

even dumber trick, to install, set the wheel in sun so that hub warms up, set the bearings with grease on them in the freezer. figure the rest out...... it does make it easier.

R2D2
10-20-2009, 02:57 PM

+1 On using a socket that matches outer race/hub bore.
Very simple procedure.

Dave
10-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Not enough temperature difference to be worthwhile.