PDA

View Full Version : more sram questions

vqdriver
10-20-2009, 11:52 AM
does the first generation sram force shifters have multiple downshifts?
i'm pretty sure the first generation rival did not.

also, how well do they hold up? do you rebuild them occasionally a la campy?

Likes2ridefar
10-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I've the 2009 and 2010 force and they both shift the same amount of cogs - two up and one down. You can rapidfire it down and really shift through the cogs quickly and accurately. I don't know if the 2008 Force is different. I know they changed the paddle shape from '08 to '09.

jtferraro
10-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Just to clarify, when you say 'downshifts', you're referring to the chain running down the cassette, into smaller and smaller cogs? If so, I don't think that was ever available on any SRAM road shifters. The 'downshifting' is similar to Shimano - one click = a one cog downshift. Re: 'upshifting' or moving up the cassette, into larger and larger cogs...YES, I believe all SRAM road shifters allow three cog upshifts at a time.

Re: holding up - I can't comment yet b/c I'm only on my 2nd cross season w/Rival shifters but so far, so good.

Other forumites, please correct me if I'm wrong, as I've never experience Force (just original Rival shifters, new Rival & Red shifters).

Thanks,

vqdriver
10-20-2009, 12:40 PM
maybe i'm thinking backwards. i'm equating up and down with gear inches, so 'downshifting' refers to moving up the cassette to larger cogs.

i know you can with the newer sram like the 09 rival. but was curious about used force.

jtferraro
10-20-2009, 02:10 PM
'downshifting' refers to moving up the cassette to larger cogs.
i know you can with the newer sram like the 09 rival. but was curious about used force.

I know you can w/the original Rival, so I would expect you could w/the original Force too.

EDS
10-20-2009, 02:38 PM
does the first generation sram force shifters have multiple downshifts?
i'm pretty sure the first generation rival did not.

also, how well do they hold up? do you rebuild them occasionally a la campy?

I am still rolling original rival on my Serotta purchased in 2006. Cables, cassette and chain have been replaced since but everything else is original and working without issue. No rebuilding yet.

Not sure of the total miles, but probably around 15,000 or so now.

Dave
10-20-2009, 02:56 PM
It's best to say shifting to smaller cogs or shifting to larger cogs, then there is no question. I always thought that SRAM shifters could shift 3 cogs larger and 1 cog smaller.

The 3 cogs larger shift is really common with a compact crank, but so is 3 cogs smaller. I prefer one push of a Campy thumb button to tap, tap, tap.

The new DA 7900 can only do two larger.

Bruce K
10-20-2009, 03:14 PM
I have Force on my Concours that started life with me on my Concours Cross that originally was on Lyne Bessette's Cyclocrossworld.com team bike.

1 season with Lyne, 1 cross with me, and now 1 road with me. So far, so good.

BK