PDA

View Full Version : Wheelset swap issues

ira38
10-19-2009, 04:49 PM
As I transition to my trainer for the rainy season, I decided to get a cheapo wheel set, pop on a 12/25 cassette on it. My daily wheel set also has the exact same model cassette.

For some reason I can’t shift to the lowest gear despite the cassettes and spacing being identical.

On daily wheelset it works like a charm, swap to cheapo and it shifting is horrible. I can run the gammit with the barrel adjuster and it has no impact at all.

Anyone have any ideas, I just cant accept the need to mess with the limit screws when they are the same.

Ozz
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
are the hubs different?

I needed to (slightly) adjust the limit screws and cable tension when swapping my wheels with the DT240s hubs and my campy hubs to get the chain to run smoothly....

good luck.

maunahaole
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Make sure that both are dished identically.

robin3mj
10-19-2009, 05:02 PM
As I transition to my trainer for the rainy season, I decided to get a cheapo wheel set, pop on a 12/25 cassette on it. My daily wheel set also has the exact same model cassette.

For some reason I can’t shift to the lowest gear despite the cassettes and spacing being identical.

On daily wheelset it works like a charm, swap to cheapo and it shifting is horrible. I can run the gammit with the barrel adjuster and it has no impact at all.

Anyone have any ideas, I just cant accept the need to mess with the limit screws when they are the same.

How cheapo is it? Assuming both are 10-speed cassettes, do you have the correct spacers, in the same places?

ira38
10-19-2009, 05:03 PM
thank you both the hubs are in fact different, and I suspect dished differently as well as the wheels are different.

So I guess its time to tinker with the limit screws or maybe Shim?

ira38
10-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Well daily set are Dtswiss 1.2 rims with Phil wood hubs 10 speed 6600 cassette

The cheapos are a Cannondale pulls Mach1 rims with Cannondale Earth hubs? 10 speed 6600 cassette.

I thought when I got them I could put the cassette on and maybe adjust the barrel and be done. 

Ozz
10-19-2009, 05:16 PM
...So I guess its time to tinker with the limit screws or maybe Shim?
adjusting the limit screws and cable tension takes about 10 minutes....find some good directions. I found some in a 10 year old copy of "Bicycling"... :rolleyes:

I did it for the first time ever a couple months ago and it it was better than any bike shop ever did for me.

ira38
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
adjusting the limit screws and cable tension takes about 10 minutes....find some good directions. I found some in a 10 year old copy of "Bicycling"... :rolleyes:

I did it for the first time ever a couple months ago and it it was better than any bike shop ever did for me.

Thanks Ozz, I can do it I was just questioning the need to do it. because I am a bit dense at times ;)

Chris
10-19-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm going to bet that you can adjust the spacers on the cassettes to get the positions of the cassettes identical. You shouldn't have to keep readjusting you derailleur.

guyintense
10-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Make sure that both are dished identically.

How does wheel dish effect shifting?
BTW, hubs differ, usually just takes a little fine tuning to get things meshing again.

Ken Robb
10-19-2009, 08:57 PM
How does wheel dish effect shifting?

I don't think it can.