PDA

View Full Version : Why does Ben Serotta get no love ?

Smiley
02-15-2005, 09:10 AM
I find it very interesting that Ben the man is never mentioned when it comes to the best bike builders of our era . Why does he not get love from you . Is it cause he does not use a torch anymore or he does not talk on these boards . I for one think the guy borders on genius in all aspects of the bike biz . Not only as a visionary with his colorado tubesets but his business accume to production line a small build shop and still maintain the one man shop attitude . Please show the man his due by placing him among the tops the US has ever had as a bike builder . One day his work will be collected along with the rest of the greats of the business . I am lucky to call the man a friend and everytime I ride my bike I call him genius .

OldDog
02-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Your right, Ben does not wield a torch. But I believe he has found a home among other notables who do not wield torches, Colnago, Merckx, etc. Not a bad group to included with?

David Kirk
02-15-2005, 09:20 AM
I couldn't agree more. There were some days a long time ago when one of the key guys in the shop would be sick and we'd start falling behind and Ben would roll up his sleeves and come down into the shop. Of course there were guys in the shop who didn't really know Ben's past and thought "what the hell is he doing here?". Ben would fire up the torch and show the kids how it was done. I miss those days.

Ben is one of the great innovators in this business ( from both a design and business perspective) and doesn't get his due.............he's just a modest guy who doesn't blow his own horn.

Thanks for the thread.

Dave

jerk
02-15-2005, 09:21 AM
something tells the jerk that when there is strange circumstance whereby a lot of csi s or steel forks are in the build queue both ben and kelly start brazining.....
jerk

zap
02-15-2005, 09:23 AM
.............he's just a modest guy who doesn't blow his own horn.

David-I think your right.

weisan
02-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Every brilliant man who builds a company that stands the test of time understands the concept of building something greater than himself. Ben did just that in the Serotta brand.

sspielman
02-15-2005, 09:35 AM
I have always considered Serotta to be alot like the best Italian quality medium sized builders.....like DeRosa or Pinarello. Not everybody who can build a great frame is gifted with the business acumen to operate a larger operation....and grow the business in a market segment that is a) crowded and b) desireable by every manufacturer.
To demonstrate what a classy guy Ben Serotta is, I will relate a short story. Several years ago, several friends and I were doing the Seagull Century. Serotta had a sizeable display in the exhibition area at the finish, and Ben was there. He was mingling with the onlookers and answering questions. One member of our small group had a Serotta. It was from about 1980-81, and had been recently repainted with the proper era of decals re-applied. As we looked around at the Serottas, Ben noticed his old product. He immediately dropped what he was doing and came over to visit. He was pleased to learn that the bike had covered TENS OF THOUSANDS OF MILES as the owner's favorite steed. In short, Serotta is a BIKE GUY. He loves bikes. he takes pride in his products. Selling the next new bike to him was less important than to find out about a veteran frame of his.....By the way, he could tell from the serial number that he had brazed this one and his wife had done the filing.....

Bruce K
02-15-2005, 09:36 AM
I think Ben's legacy goes beyond his bikes.

He has managed to build a "family" or "culture" around his brand.

Bikes, forums, Open Houses, charitable work, seminars, fittings, etc., etc. etc.

There are few men who have built companies/products that are modeled like this.

VW (beetle), Mini, Apple computer, BMW, Prosche, to name a few.

And on top of it, he is a really good guy.

From backyard builder to successful businessman in a difficult business. Ben should get all the "love" and accolades we can muster.

BK

Kevan
02-15-2005, 09:43 AM
be careful with your thread titles from here on out. Sandy's in his car and is on his way up to give Ben that needed love.

Lock and bolt the doors Ben... he's coming!!!! :D

Jeff Weir
02-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Smiley is a day late, Wasn't yesterday Valentine's Day?

BumbleBeeDave
02-15-2005, 10:33 AM
. . . Was something said here that implied he was NOT on the list of best builders?

I don't really think he needs any reinforcing of his reputation, especially on this forum.

BBDave

MartyE
02-15-2005, 10:48 AM
I think there is some confusion when we here at Serotta Forums, and
at CR list, BikeFourms, RBR etc. talk about Framebuilders.
When I think of framebuilders I immediately think of small one man shops
such as e-Ritchie, Dave Kirk, Brian Baylis etc. I don't think of a production
shop (Serotta, Pegoretti, Tomassini, De Rosa). Does that
make Ben, or Dario or Iro or Ugo any less of a framebuilder?
No I don't think so.
Ben (like e-Ritchie) got his start in a small one man shop, thereafter
they took different paths. This is neither a good nor a bad thing.
I'm just glad that there isn't a 3 year waiting list for a Serotta.
I just think that a production shop doesn't get the Buzz (love) as
much as a one man shop, although that certainly doesn't mean that
it isn't deserved.

Marty

cinelli
02-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Ben Serotta has long been considered a great bicyle designer, an accomplished bicycle businessman and an astute bicycle marketing man. On the other hand, when the term "bicycle builder" is brought up, the first thing you think of is the guy behind the torch.....ie,,,Richard Sachs, Tom Kellogg, David Kirk, etc. Ben's has probably built a lot of great bikes himself, but his greatest accomplishments will probably be considered for skills other than wielding a torch.

Too Tall
02-15-2005, 12:41 PM
???????????????????????????????????????????
Goes without saying. Here's to saying it.

A song in dedication to Ben Serotta ====> www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/bannana.ram

Climb01742
02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
"why does ben serotta get no love?" i'd bet mrs serotta would argue this point. :rolleyes:

M_A_Martin
02-15-2005, 02:35 PM
I don't know about that Smiley. We showed him plenty of love when he came to Kinetic Systems to do three seminars on his bikes/bike building. He spoke to a full house at all three sessions, *and* we postponed our club's annual banquet so we could have him speak there as well. It was an All Ben All Day type of day. Kinetics is a adamant Serotta supporter (Friends don't let friends ride cheap titanium) and our club, the Flying Rhinos seems to have a large percentage of Serottas in it.

Keep in mind, we often call them Serottas, but you also see reference to "Ben's bikes" on this forum as well. I think it's well remembered that Ben is a bike builder first.

Smiley
02-15-2005, 02:39 PM
I tell SandyMan everytime we ride together how much I LOVE my Serotta , I think we just take for granted how great these bikes are against their competition. :banana:

MartyE
02-15-2005, 02:40 PM
. . .
Keep in mind, we often call them Serottas, but you also see reference to "Ben's bikes" on this forum as well. I think it's well remembered that Ben is a bike builder first.

MA your first sentence above is very telling, "on this forum".
Yes we do remember Ben is a framemaker first. I don't think this is
so in other areas.

Marty

Sandy
02-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Trust me on this one. There is nobody that is as passionate about Serotta bicycles as Smiley. To Smiley there are Serotta bicycles and then the rest of them. A distant rest of them.

Smiling Sandy

Kevin
02-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Ben for president.

Kevin

M_A_Martin
02-15-2005, 04:25 PM
Marty,
Considering Smiley's original post (section below) I believe he was referring to the most recent spat of "best frame builder" threads on this particular board, that's why the "here" part of my post.

"I find it very interesting that Ben the man is never mentioned when it comes to the best bike builders of our era . Why does he not get love from you . Is it cause he does not use a torch anymore or he does not talk on these boards."

jeffg
02-15-2005, 04:29 PM
I just don't think about who's building my bike. I think about whether I trust the company. Ben Serotta is a huge factor as to why I would never hesitate to buy a Serotta bike and would pick a Serotta as my only bike (which was true for a good while). :banana: :banana: :banana:

Serotta PETE
02-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Send Uncle Ben a bottle of Dry Creek Vinyard Reserve "Old Vine" 2001. He will appreciate it. If each of us send a bottle it will make him very very happy.

It will also make Flyhest and I very happy for we will "borrow" a few of the bottles.

Thanks in advance PETE

cycleman_21
02-15-2005, 06:05 PM
:) ???????????????????????????????????????????
Goes without saying. Here's to saying it.

A song in dedication to Ben Serotta ====> www.ahealinghand.com/images/general/bannana.ram

OH MAN! I haven't heard that song in ages,really made me laugh
thanks,I needed that :banana:
still haven't ridden my FIERTE yet and it's almost a month old :crap:
Ron