PDA

View Full Version : Frame painting question

sokyroadie
10-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I recently purchased a used Serotta/Campy neutral support frameset and am not thrilled with the condition of the chrome plating on the frame. The paint is basically perfect and the chrome plating on the fork is new. I think my only option is to have a painter bead blast the chrome off and paint a contrasting color maybe yellow in it's place. Any suggestions including painters would be appreciated.

Jeff

nahtnoj
10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
That is a cool frame.

You MUST speak to Tom Kellogg. I just got a frame back from him and it is stunning.

Not sure about a "spot" repaint, but if anyone can do it, he can. Maybe ask about a chrome-colored paint to make it look original?

Pete Serotta
10-19-2009, 04:45 PM
TOm Kellogg does a first class job... Highly recommend. PETE

Jeff N.
10-19-2009, 04:48 PM
For flawless paint there is only one choice, IMO: Joe Bell. Jeff N.

EddieBirdsell
10-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Polishing compound. I'd mask off the painted area first. I used to use some really high-grade German-made stuff when I worked on Harleys, but I can't remember the name. It worked very well at buffing scratches and pitting out of chromed parts. Let me see if I can dig up the brand.

malcolm
10-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Joe Bell is only among peers and one of them is Tom Kellogg. I've got bikes done by both and I can't imagine anyone doing better.

Ahneida Ride
10-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Polishing compound. I'd mask off the painted area first. I used to use some really high-grade German-made stuff when I worked on Harleys, but I can't remember the name. It worked very well at buffing scratches and pitting out of chromed parts. Let me see if I can dig up the brand.

Semi Chrome ... Velo Orange has the stuff. German made.

I used in on my Legend Ti to take the Polish up to a dull chrome.
It's a very good polish.

With a Dremel, the Semi Chrome will take Ti up a chrome mirror finish.

The Semi Chrome (or Mother's metal polish) is worth a shot.

Jeff N.
10-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Joe Bell is only among peers and one of them is Tom Kellogg. I've got bikes done by both and I can't imagine anyone doing better.True. Very true. But Joe Bell does one thing and one thing only, and that's handle a spray gun like Lucas McCain handles a Winchester. Jeff N.

skijoring
10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Worth checking out Velocolour, though they are in Canada. They do great restoration work:

http://www.velocolour.com/

rePhil
10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Flitz?

cadence90
10-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Just for clarity, the polishing compound Ahneida is referring to (and perhaps EddieBirdsell as well) is called Simichrome (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_en&q=simichrome), not "Semi Chrome".

It is German, is available in better hardware stores, and is excellent.

Peter B
10-19-2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.simichrome-polish.com/