PDA

View Full Version : Best Pro Team Uniform

sspielman
02-15-2005, 06:36 AM
Now that the first photos of the 2005 peloton are starting to reach us through the miracle of the internet, what are some of the opinions on the best and worst?.....Also any opinions on the all-time best and worst?
Here are some of mine for 2005:
*I like the new Communitat Valenciana (ex-Kelme) kit...and the matching Orbeas
*Illes Balears is classy as is Liberty Seguros
*Bouygues Telecom is a standout as well...
*Unchanged and still classy is Saunier Duval and Euskaltel
(Heck, I like the whole Spanish peloton!)
Some help is needed for:
*Italian squadra Naturino.....Spanish team Kaiku....

William
02-15-2005, 06:38 AM
I didn't think the Bianchi kit was too hot. But maybe that's just me?

I have yet to see some others.

William

Jeff N.
02-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Best Pro Team Uniform? Why, the San Diego Chargers throw-backs, of course! Jeff N. :beer:

Ozz
02-15-2005, 08:20 AM
the skinny orange guys...forget their name... ;)

BdaGhisallo
02-15-2005, 08:52 AM
I think last year's Illes Balears strip was the tops!

toaster
02-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Team Discovery is awfully conservative and boring. Postal wasn't that much better, either.

If you're going to make us wear tights at least make 'em colorful.

I thought Phonak's last year were nice and bold. CSC was plain but well done and Fassa Bortola started to stand out more. Usually, in my opinion, it's the colors they choose first then the graphic design next. Big field of a bold bright color should be the recognizing feature rather than trying to read logos on similar looking backgrounds.

BumbleBeeDave
02-15-2005, 03:22 PM
. . . any team strip that has lots of fine details. This opinion was reinforced when I went to Hamilton to watch the Worlds race fall of '03 . . . those guys went by so fast you could hardly tell who was who!

I think it said somewhere here it would be $10k to get an itty bitty logo on the SN/Ofoto jerseys. Waste of money IMHO--almost illegible unless they're standing still.

People tease me about wearing the A&S/Domina zebra stripes, but I think that's a brilliant kit just because it does exactly what it's supposed to do--attract attention. People rib on me but they know immediately what team it is . . .

BBDave

Ozz
02-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Team Discovery is awfully conservative and boring. Postal wasn't that much better, either.

If you're going to make us wear tights at least make 'em colorful.

I thought Phonak's last year were nice and bold. CSC was plain but well done and Fassa Bortola started to stand out more. Usually, in my opinion, it's the colors they choose first then the graphic design next. Big field of a bold bright color should be the recognizing feature rather than trying to read logos on similar looking backgrounds.

My thinking exactly....you can't miss the E-E orange team.

Both CSC and Fassa Bortolo are very classy looking. F-B tends to blend into the crowd easily. I guess it works for them cuz Pettachi is always crossing hte line first.

The black/red/white of CSC is more distinctive and easier to pick out of the peloton.

Discovery Channel really missed the boat on this one....looks too much like the USPS jerseys...just with different colors. They have that cool globe logo to work with...maybe black jerseys, star background with globe and name.

Climb01742
02-15-2005, 03:34 PM
i always liked the old half black, half red lotto jerseys. or for strange but oddly neat looking, the old lampre jersey's that were blue and a sorta electric pink.

jerk
02-15-2005, 03:50 PM
the jerk doesn't know about nicest kit, but there's going to be a new england based uci continental pro-team on one of the world's nicest bikes!
jerk

flydhest
02-15-2005, 03:51 PM
. . . any team strip that has lots of fine details. This opinion was reinforced when I went to Hamilton to watch the Worlds race fall of '03 . . . those guys went by so fast you could hardly tell who was who!

I think it said somewhere here it would be $10k to get an itty bitty logo on the SN/Ofoto jerseys. Waste of money IMHO--almost illegible unless they're standing still.

People tease me about wearing the A&S/Domina zebra stripes, but I think that's a brilliant kit just because it does exactly what it's supposed to do--attract attention. People rib on me but they know immediately what team it is . . .

BBDave

Dave, I think the reduced rates are because you can only see the logos when they are standing still, like in podium shots and promotional photos. It is only in some situations where they can be read, but if you could read it all the time, it would cost more. Your zebra stripes are associated with the main sponsor. They pay up for that recognition.

toaster
02-15-2005, 05:19 PM
Oh, and just for fun, what about Team Maipei and Jelly Belly. Those are very unique.

Bill Bove
02-15-2005, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=BumbleBeeDave, People rib on me but they know immediately what team it is . . .

BBDave[/QUOTE]
Ah Dave, now you see the genius of my shops pink uniforms, so easy to spot in a sea of red, white and blue. I'm very disapointed with T-Mobiles kit. Great color, lousy exacution. My all time favorite was ONCE's pink TdF kit followed by 7-11's red, white, green. But then there was Molteni, good enough for Eddy.

Xyzzy
02-15-2005, 08:49 PM
http://www.specialized.com/SBCWhatsNewDetail.jsp?article=5004

I'm not a fan of light colored shorts but I like the Gerolsteiner look, especially how it matches the bike... It is pretty easy to pick out from the crowd too...

OttrottAZ
02-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Quickstep Lookin' Pretty As Usual.

Tom
02-16-2005, 05:50 AM
I liked the old Mapei ones that were all colored blocks.

William
02-16-2005, 06:41 AM

The Oregon State University kit from the early 90's was like that. By far, it's still my favorite to wear to this day. The Oregon State text on sponsor logos weren't easy to see when you were ripping by the crowd, but there was no mistaking the team by the colors/design. Orange, black and white.

Upper chest and back are white, Front has letters OSU (orange with black outline) on the white. Back has Oregon State University in smaller black lettering...one line.

Collar is black with white OSU lettering.

Sleeves are orange with black trim.

Side panels were white with Oregon State in black lettering.

The rest of the jersey from the upper chest and back down is sort of a black & orange tiger stripe. It wasn't random stripes though, more like a "V" that has been pulled open and laid almost flat. Narrow at the ends and getting thicker toward the middle while still retaining the inner and outer points.

It's loud, and usually I always get noticed by motorists.

William

BumbleBeeDave
02-16-2005, 02:57 PM
. . . examples of, uh, "distinctive" team kit.

First, we've seen the Naturino stuff, but I wonder if they get paid extra for wearing those glasses, and I wonder if there's a model with rhinestones across the top?

Second, we got this photo today from NYC ballet--it's from a piece called "Harlequinade" they are apparently going to do at Saratoga Performing Arts Center this coming summer. I was kind of wondering what Mapei did with the rights to their team kit after the team folded . . . ;)

BBDave

Tom
02-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Isn't that the third Marx Brother?

flydhest
02-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Isn't that the third Marx Brother?

you mean Karl?

Elefantino
02-16-2005, 04:01 PM
The Oregon State University kit from the early 90's was like that. By far, it's still my favorite to wear to this day. The Oregon State text on sponsor logos weren't easy to see when you were ripping by the crowd, but there was no mistaking the team by the colors/design. Orange, black and white.

It's loud, and usually I always get noticed by motorists.

William

I'll bet you didn't ride much in Eugene wearing that kit. You would have been more than noticed!

William
02-16-2005, 04:44 PM
I'll bet you didn't ride much in Eugene wearing that kit. You would have been more than noticed!

Yes, the ducks would always go crazy when there was Beaver near by. But, as usual, the ducks never got any Beaver. (Ta da dum)

William ;)

gasman
02-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Yes, the ducks would always go crazy when there was Beaver near by. But, as usual, the ducks never got any Beaver. (Ta da dum)

William ;)

That was bad, really bad.
I had a girlfriend from OSU when I was a Duck and I actually did get... oh never mind.
It was always fun to ride up to Corvallis, in the cold rain wearing my old wool tights, wool top, wool gloves and smelling like a drowned rat when I arrived.sort of glad we were together only 6 months. ;)

flydhest
02-16-2005, 04:52 PM
wearing my old wool tights, wool top, wool gloves and smelling like a drowned rat when I arrived.sort of glad we were together only 6 months. ;)

dude, you should undress before you . . . well, you know.

gasman
02-16-2005, 05:00 PM
dude, you should undress before you . . . well, you know.

Yea- but even after shedding the clothes the wool smell seemed to "linger" longer than male dogs around a female in heat.

I better stop.

flydhest
02-16-2005, 05:01 PM
I better stop.

you would not believe the number of times I've had to say that.

Come to think of it, maybe you would...

BumbleBeeDave
02-16-2005, 06:14 PM
For the sake of all of us . . . .

You better stop. :rolleyes:

BBDave

William
02-17-2005, 05:43 AM
That was bad, really bad.

This is true. But Beavers aren't supposed to be funny. You don't get very far by laughing at a Beaver. (Ta-da dum):rolleyes:

GO BEAVS!! :banana:

~O~
~S~
~U~
"fightfightfight",
~O~
~S~
~U~

William :)