PDA

View Full Version : Having some knee pain

weaponsgrade
10-18-2009, 12:57 AM
About two weeks ago I did a pretty hard ride. There were some stiff climbs towards the end, I was definitely straining, and my knee started hurting. The pain is on the outer side of my one knee and below the knee cap. The pain wasn't too bad and I just pushed through. Well, today I go out for one of my regular rides and maybe 20 relatively easy miles in I get the same pain. This is the first time I've been out since that hard ride.

The bike is a custom Serotta that I got 10 years ago, it's got thousands of miles on it, and I've never really had this problem until now. I've been using the Time Impact pedals on it for maybe 5 years. I haven't done any major adjustments recently.

Any ideas on what's going on and what I can try?

Some other history: I think I do have a tendency to over-pronate and had a set of orthotics made years ago after I developed a bone spur. I used them for awhile (in regular walking shoes), wasn't getting any more spurs, and stopped using them.

thwart
10-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Sounds like an unhappy IT band to me...

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/itbs.htm

JumpStart
10-18-2009, 10:25 AM
I have had similar symptoms and have managed it by raising my saddle a bit. This takes some stress off the patella. Icing and stretching help also.

OtayBW
10-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Sounds like an unhappy IT band to me...

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/itbs.htm
I had IT problems some years ago - took a long time to recover completely. But isn't it from high repetition (snapping of the IT band over time) rather than a shorter-term overuse injury?

WadePatton
10-18-2009, 11:58 AM
happens to me some-usually in spring when i jump on the pedals too hard/too long with too little base. i rx specific stretching and reduced length/intensity riding until it passes.

dd74
10-18-2009, 02:37 PM
I had the same knee problem over the course of two or three rides. I did what JumpStart and WadePatton suggests here, and the pain disappeared.

rickbb
10-18-2009, 04:26 PM
In addition to saddle height adjustments (up), I've found that a higher cadence, avoiding mashing, helps a great deal.

PBWrench
10-19-2009, 12:59 AM
I had the same problem earlier this summer when I was (over)training for a 15K climbing 200 km challenge ride. Ice, rest but I also went to a sports chiropractor who did stretching, ice sleeve on the leg and some funky tape. Pain went away completely. Good luck!