PDA

View Full Version : Field test Handlebra waterproof bartape

rustychain
10-17-2009, 09:08 PM
It's been raining for the last several days. I had to get out (cabin fever) so I took my cross bike and did 4 hours on the road and single track in my area. I was covered in mud and so was the bike. That red clay mud that Virginia is known for. Hosed off the bike and checked out the damage. I had put on the new Handlera waterproof tape on a week or two back and this was the first time it got really wet and muddy. I was pleased that I had no issues with it stretching or slipping and it cleaned up to the point that it still looks new (FYI its the fine cigar color). I have used lots of bar tape over the years and so was surprised how well it held up to such abuse. Normally after such a ride my bar tape looks awful and being a bit of a nit picker I change it out, not this time :cool: .Grip was as good as I could ask even while wet. My shoes were trashed and my white jersey will never be white again.
I had lots of fun even if I am still shivering from the cold but I am now in the doghouse for the mud I tracked into the house.

Good products deserves recognition

On a related note any suggestions for keeping my feet dry in such conditions???

Louis
10-17-2009, 11:06 PM

Staying home and riding rollers? ;)

dave thompson
10-17-2009, 11:17 PM
It's been raining for the last several days. I had to get out (cabin fever) so I took my cross bike and did 4 hours on the road and single track in my area. I was covered in mud and so was the bike. That red clay mud that Virginia is known for. Hosed off the bike and checked out the damage. I had put on the new Handlera waterproof tape on a week or two back and this was the first time it got really wet and muddy. I was pleased that I had no issues with it stretching or slipping and it cleaned up to the point that it still looks new (FYI its the fine cigar color). I have used lots of bar tape over the years and so was surprised how well it held up to such abuse. Normally after such a ride my bar tape looks awful and being a bit of a nit picker I change it out, not this time :cool: .Grip was as good as I could ask even while wet. My shoes were trashed and my white jersey will never be white again.
I had lots of fun even if I am still shivering from the cold but I am now in the doghouse for the mud I tracked into the house.

My white HHB tape is still very white even after about 30 hours of riding. Dirt wipes right off. Good stuff, I love it.

Use lawn or leaf bags and duct tape. That should keep you dry up to your knees! :D

mcteague
10-18-2009, 07:53 AM
$80.00 for handlebar tape??? You guys have too much disposable income. Send a few bucks to these people: http://doctorswithoutborders.org/

Tim

93legendti
10-18-2009, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the tip. Did you apply the tape directly to the bar? Or, did you use a base layer?

BumbleBeeDave
10-18-2009, 08:28 AM
$80.00 for handlebar tape??? You guys have too much disposable income. Send a few bucks to these people: http://doctorswithoutborders.org/

Tim

. . . is $20 per roll and this tape lasts four times as long and feels better, then I don't see the extravagance. Nevertheless, you're entitled to your opinion and to send your own FRN's wherever you like.

BBD

Bruce K
10-18-2009, 08:33 AM
5 cross races - 4 of them in the mud and/or rain and other than a couple of abrasions from contact with other bikes, trees, etc. The Handlebra is holding up great!

Mine is wrapped over Fizik gel pads.

BK

John M
10-18-2009, 09:07 AM

Full front fender with mudflap will help the most. Shoe covers help also, but without a fender, 4 hrs of spray up will overwhelm most shoe covers.

93legendti
10-18-2009, 10:33 AM
I just ordered the Hurricane in white. Thanks for the tip.

Ahneida Ride
10-18-2009, 11:16 AM
The HHB should clean up spanking new with just plain ole water.
Just pour water over it till the crud falls off.

I applied some Corbin Cream / Leather Master Protection Cream,
to mine. Apparent our fellow Motorcyclists use the CC and LMPC
to protect their leather. Both are white aqueous based solutions
that are absorbed and dry rather fast.

Use caution if you post treat the stuff. I am not sure what works and
what does not. Post treatment is not required to be water proof.

Quality leather is expensive. HBB leather is specifically designed to
withstand intense use and repel liquids. A quick google search will reveal
that the price is competitive or less then the competition. The wrap
is handcrafted in the USA. Leather is from USA sources. Most
pieces well exceed 7 ft. HBB is also manufactured to minimize
seams/joints.

The idea all along was to build "The Ultimate Performance Wrap".
Efficacy + Value.

I can access a few hides in the Original HB in dark Navy Blue.
I built several prototypes in these hide. They are NOS hides.
I can get a dealski on these and offer then at a very attractive price.
Don't know if there is any interest.

csm
10-18-2009, 11:45 AM
I think the "that costs too much" post was sorta tongue-in-cheek. given what some of us spend on bikes, $80 really isn't too much.

WadePatton
10-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Tim
hmm, lemme see now:
x frn for shoes???
x frn for bibs???
x frn for a saddle???
x frn for a frame???
x months to get a frame???
x frn for a bottle cage???
x frn for a set of bars???
x frn for a wheelset???
etc, etc, etc!

pick any component or accessory or another hobbie/sport-one can easily find things out of his/her frn comfort zone.

and some of them will be absolutely top-shelf, well-designed and engineered, and domestically produced.

like ray's leather bar tape. it is the shiznit.

try it. if you don't like it there'll be _no_ trouble selling it _used_. ;)

i've seen zero nadda nilch nyet no complaints from those who have made the leather leap.

<composed as csm posted--for those who are "sticker shocked" anyway>

93legendti
10-18-2009, 11:56 AM
$0.01 shipping. Can't beat that with a stick.

William
10-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Words getting out. It's the shizzle!! :cool:

Best wrap out there! :banana:

William

malcolm
10-18-2009, 12:57 PM

Tim

At $80 this may be the cheapest and most functional product on most recreational ridden bikes. Carbon bars ? carbon or titanium seat post ?
Hand built wheels ?

I like my leather handle bra, consider it a value and will continue to use it.
I try not to be presumptuous enough to comment on others disposable income but will leave it at you send yours where you want and I'll do the same with mine.

Smiley
10-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Its sex apeal on a bike baby, HandleBar is da bomb :banana:

palincss
10-18-2009, 06:10 PM
At $80 this may be the cheapest and most functional product on most recreational ridden bikes. Carbon bars ? carbon or titanium seat post ?
Hand built wheels ?

Hand built wheels are not in the same class as carbon bars or carbon or ti seat posts.
I couldn't agree more, those things are useless extravagances for recreational riders.

Hand built wheels, on the other hand, are great improvements in terms of longevity and reliability over similar machine built wheels, and are much less expensive and more reliable than "boutique wheels". A recreational rider can actually use and benefit from what hand built wheels offer.

malcolm
10-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Hand built wheels are not in the same class as carbon bars or carbon or ti seat posts.
I couldn't agree more, those things are useless extravagances for recreational riders.

Hand built wheels, on the other hand, are great improvements in terms of longevity and reliability over similar machine built wheels, and are much less expensive and more reliable than "boutique wheels". A recreational rider can actually use and benefit from what hand built wheels offer.

I would agree with the wheels wholeheartedly, I have them on all my bikes. I was just thinking of expensive things or perceived expensive things. The wheels would be in the same category as the handle bra.

Ahneida Ride
10-18-2009, 08:09 PM
I have hand-built wheels and they rock.

One can custom specify the rims, hubs, spoke and lacing.
They can be fine tuned to one's weight, strength, riding style and
comfort. and they are typically less then the pre-built. :banana:

dave thompson
10-18-2009, 08:50 PM

Tim
Ignore the troll. He likes to drop in occasionally and pee in the Cheerios.

BumbleBeeDave
10-18-2009, 08:56 PM

. . . why the box was yellow.

BBD

Dekonick
10-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Another report on the handlebra - mind you, this is on the first version of the 'new' and improved handlebra...

Rain - lots and COLD. 40-44 degrees -several hours. Tape dried no problem. Looks like it did when new. I have only treated it with proofhide as thats what I have on hand. Great product! I love this stuff!

mcteague
10-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Troll? Search my posts before you throw stones. So, only thumbs up responses are allowed here now? People are free to spend whatever they want on whatever they want. I am free to question the purchase and even make fun of it. Damn, there are some thin skins in these parts.

Tim

rustychain
10-19-2009, 09:12 AM
You have a point. I sent off a check to Docors without Borders for $80 (but I'm keeping my bartape ;) )
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

malcolm
10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
You have a point. I sent off a check to Docors without Borders for $80 (but I'm keeping my bartape ;) )
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Make fun of what ever you want and feel free to present actual reviews of products you have used positive or especially negative. I appreciate any insight. I just don't have much use for a cost analysis of a product you have never used, when I suspect you have many more expensive products on your bike that are far less functional, emphasis on suspect as I don't know you or your bike.

I'm also a big boy and don't really need advice on which charity to support or what to do with my disposable income or what even constitutes disposable income.

I do like an actual review, so post away.

Thanks, Malcolm

rustychain
10-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Make fun of what ever you want and feel free to present actual reviews of products you have used positive or especially negative. I appreciate any insight. I just don't have much use for a cost analysis of a product you have never used, when I suspect you have many more expensive products on your bike that are far less functional, emphasis on suspect as I don't know you or your bike.

I'm also a big boy and don't really need advice on which charity to support or what to do with my disposable income or what even constitutes disposable income.

I do like an actual review, so post away.

Thanks, Malcolm
:confused: Who was I making fun of? I gave no advise on charities. I have never reviewed a product I have not tried. Yes my bike is set up pretty nice, sorry if that offends anyone. I will say that I rode lots of ....well crappy bikes for most of my life. Sorry you did not find my review "actual" but I expressed my observations after using the product in what IMO are fairly extreme conditions. :confused:

RudAwkning
10-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Troll? Search my posts before you throw stones. So, only thumbs up responses are allowed here now? People are free to spend whatever they want on whatever they want. I am free to question the purchase and even make fun of it. Damn, there are some thin skins in these parts.

Tim

Yeah, but you own a Chris King headset and titanium headset spacers. Neither of which "perform" any better than their $$$ lessers.

I just find it ironic. Or hypocritical.

Criticism is welcome, especially when you've actually USED THE PRODUCT. When you start telling others where to direct their funds, it's self righteous indignation.

Am I feeding the troll?

Nom, nom, nom.

malcolm
10-19-2009, 10:29 AM
:confused: Who was I making fun of? I gave no advise on charities. I have never reviewed a product I have not tried. Yes my bike is set up pretty nice, sorry if that offends anyone. I will say that I rode lots of ....well crappy bikes for most of my life. Sorry you did not find my review "actual" but I expressed my observations after using the product in what IMO are fairly extreme conditions. :confused:

You should make fun of my knuckleheadedness. I meant to quote the post above yours. I was referring to the OPs response after his original response.

Sorry for the confusion, I hadn't had my coffee.

dd74
10-19-2009, 11:32 AM
So the Handlebra leather "tape" is more durable than cloth? Is it much thicker? And does it absorb shock, road buzz and the like - even a little bit?

Ahneida Ride
10-19-2009, 11:53 AM
So the Handlebra leather "tape" is more durable than cloth? Is it much thicker? And does it absorb shock, road buzz and the like - even a little bit?

Yes .... Yes ..... and Yes !

It's really a wrap, a bar covering, not really a tape.

Pete Serotta
10-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Lets chill, it is only Monday.

If you do not like the tape, have no desire to try it, or think that your $$s are better spent somewhere else - That is fine. All that is asked is that you respect others views. To some $8o is a lot of money - to others it is a good time.

Thanks....

and by the way I use the tape and it works but I know others that do not spend that on tape but spend $2K on a set of wheels.

AND then I know others that will spend $5K on a week cruise or a trip to Europe.... The net of the story :confused: :confused:

But the experience is priceless :D

dd74
10-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Yes .... Yes ..... and Yes !

It's really a wrap, a bar covering, not really a tape.
But you apply it directly to the bar itself, right?

mcteague
10-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah, but you own a Chris King headset and titanium headset spacers. Neither of which "perform" any better than their $$$ lessers.

I just find it ironic. Or hypocritical.

Criticism is welcome, especially when you've actually USED THE PRODUCT. When you start telling others where to direct their funds, it's self righteous indignation.

Am I feeding the troll?

Nom, nom, nom.
I guess there is always a limit. CK headsets are not 8x as expensive as other good headsets. Ti spacers were pretty stupid but I got them for around $10 so that was not too bad. We all have bars that make us sit up and take notice when topped. A $4000 frame seems crazy to most but pretty normal here. I'll bet most of us would gulp at a $32,000 frame. 8X more than $4000. Remember the post about the $4k Oakley sunglasses? Same thing.

Tim

BumbleBeeDave
10-19-2009, 12:20 PM
. . . when we need him to help us debate "value?" I'm at somewhat of a loss to understand the flaming that's developing here. I hope it will subside.

The HHB costs $80 per set. Some have purchased it. So I assume that to them it was obviously worth what they paid for it. I also feel from having seen other threads that users--and even Ray himself--have been very forthcoming about whatever weaknesses the product may have had or has now. To me that's part of the appeal. Ray has been constantly refining this product over the past few years and been very honest about his product development experiments when they don't quite work out as he has hoped. I think that ongoing product development and obvious dedication to making it the best available product in its niche are part of what makes it worth the price tag. If others do not feel it's worth $80, then they are of course free to not buy it. But I don't see the value in one forum member criticizing others because they "value" HHB differently than he does.

As for my own experience, I had some of the first generation and found it sexy looking and responsive on the bike, but easily stained and discolored when it got wet. It also didn't have a lot of padding to it.

Now I have some second generation and it does not discolor or stain when it gets wet. It dries back faithfully to the original color. I also wrapped it over a layer of Cinelli cork tape, solving the padding problem and giving in to the reality that Ray didn't have enough control over his supply chain to grow cows with thicker skin. :rolleyes:

He has showed me the third generation Hurricane HandleBra and it seems he has solved all the problems that have come up so far. It has more padding, it wraps just as easily, it holds it color and doesn't stain, and it's impervious to water--and beer. :D

I have to disclose the conflict of interest here that Ray is a friend of mine and has asked my opinion frequently along the way as he has been developing things. But that has only made me more impressed by the product because it's been clear to me how obsessed he is with doing this right.

BBD

dave thompson
10-19-2009, 12:20 PM
HandleBra is very durable, I've had one of my bikes for a year now with the HandleBra with no visible wear or signs of use. It can be wrapped very thin if you pull it tight while wrapping or if you merely wrap it snugly it will be thicker. Because I have large hands I use an underwrap to further increase its thickness. It's a pleasure to grip especially on long rides, like my 68 mile birthday ride yesterday. Both of my bikes sport HandleBra

HandleBra is a first-class product, made and sold by one of our very own forumites. See more here: http://www.handlebra.com/

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5383/dsc82771.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2447/hhb51.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/258/hhb21.jpg

yatescc
10-19-2009, 12:22 PM
When will the "Sport Handlebra" be ready for purchase? I'm craving some white with orange stitching

mandasol
10-19-2009, 12:53 PM
+1 on craving the sport handlebra

RudAwkning
10-19-2009, 12:55 PM
I guess there is always a limit. CK headsets are not 8x as expensive as other good headsets. Ti spacers were pretty stupid but I got them for around $10 so that was not too bad. We all have bars that make us sit up and take notice when topped. A $4000 frame seems crazy to most but pretty normal here. I'll bet most of us would gulp at a $32,000 frame. 8X more than $4000. Remember the post about the $4k Oakley sunglasses? Same thing.

Tim

It wasn't really your questioning the value of the product. It was your "redirection".

I have people who tell me I'm crazy for spending all Sunday on a bike. That's fine. But if someone were to say, "How dare you spend all of Sunday on a bike when you >should< be going to church.", it would make me want to punch them right in the junk!

If you don't agree with how someone spends their time/money, that's cool. It's the indignant suggestion of how I should be spending that time/money that I feel is unwarranted.

Or perhaps there was some tongue in cheekiness that flew over my head. If that's the case, I appologize.

Ahneida Ride
10-19-2009, 01:23 PM
When will the "Sport Handlebra" be ready for purchase? I'm craving some white with orange stitching

Early November for the stitched .. I am working on it ...
98% done. ;)

mcteague
10-19-2009, 01:52 PM
It wasn't really your questioning the value of the product. It was your "redirection".

I have people who tell me I'm crazy for spending all Sunday on a bike. That's fine. But if someone were to say, "How dare you spend all of Sunday on a bike when you >should< be going to church.", it would make me want to punch them right in the junk!

If you don't agree with how someone spends their time/money, that's cool. It's the indignant suggestion of how I should be spending that time/money that I feel is unwarranted.

Or perhaps there was some tongue in cheekiness that flew over my head. If that's the case, I appologize.
Critique accepted. I was being a bit flip in my suggestion of where to send the money. For the record, I do support Doctors Without Borders, but really should not have made the redirect. I stand my ground thinking that $80 for bar tape is silly. However, if it lasts 8x longer than Deda I may still be the fool in the end.

Tim

RudAwkning
10-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Critique accepted. I was being a bit flip in my suggestion of where to send the money. For the record, I do support Doctors Without Borders, but really should not have made the redirect. I stand my ground thinking that $80 for bar tape is silly. However, if it lasts 8x longer than Deda I may still be the fool in the end.

Tim

:beer:

dd74
10-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Hopefully this tape will help my numbing hands.

William
10-19-2009, 02:07 PM
I find that a wrap of athletic tape over the bars, the the HB does the trick. Soaks up road buzz very well. On my SS I have HB wrapped over second gen (proto) HB. Result? Road? What road? :)

William

dd74
10-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I find that a wrap of athletic tape over the bars, the the HB does the trick. Soaks up road buzz very well. On my SS I have HB wrapped over second gen (proto) HB. Result? Road? What road? :)

William
Athletic tape -- you mean for taping ankles, fingers, etc?

beungood
10-19-2009, 02:28 PM

Wrap your feet in waterproof Handlebra?

Ahneida Ride
10-19-2009, 02:34 PM

Yup .. dat is the stuff or hockey tape.

I use cheap think cork off my LBS floor.

Some use NO under-layman. My LBS guru uses HB over cork and a
man made competitor.

If you use no under-layman, there is a small chance it could slip a
bit in the rain. If you pull tight, this probability diminishes.

But if you pull tight, the grain in the leather starts to disappear.
Many like the leather grain to show.

dave thompson
10-19-2009, 02:44 PM
You can use most anything as an underwrap; hockey tape, a layer of regular bar tape, gel underwrap, etc.

93legendti
10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
store.handlebra.com

Hello adam,

Your order has shipped. (Order#: ___ placed on 10/18/2009)

Ah, time to sit back and smell the cowhide... :)

I'm thinking it will go real nice on the HC CX bike.. :D

dd74
10-20-2009, 02:08 AM
Early November for the stitched .. I am working on it ...
98% done. ;)
Do you have any pre-production photos you can share? I really like your stuff. I can see where it would compliment a Brooks saddle quite well. :cool:

Bruce K
10-20-2009, 03:57 AM
There is a photo of the blue with white stitching in the Custom Gallery under Kelly Bedford sings the Blues.

BK

WadePatton
10-20-2009, 01:20 PM
wrapped mine tight over tight used corkish tape. perfect diameter and very firm. might go with less tension next wrap.

Ahneida Ride
10-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Do you have any pre-production photos you can share? I really like your stuff. :cool:

Sure !

Black HBB leather double stitched in white.

Blue HBB leather double stitched in silver.

White HBB leather double stitched in red.

The Orange HB and Blue is now on Kelly Bedford's personal machine.

The Brown HBB with Orange and White stitch is on my Legend.

Louis
10-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Ray, you need to minimize SKUs!

All these options are going to drive you nuts.

Any color, as long as it's black.

Ahneida Ride
10-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Ray, you need to minimize SKUs!

Louis .. you are so correct.

I will just have em specify the leather color and then specify the
cord color in the comment section checkout. They have to type it in.
Only 1 or 2 SKUs.

If I don't do that I could have well over a 1000 SKUs...

12 leather colors. 20 colors for first cord. 20 colors for second cord ..

12 x 20 x 20 = ????? the national debt !

I'd go crazy !

BumbleBeeDave
10-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I'd go crazy !

. . . would we be able to tell? :D ;)

BBD

Ahneida Ride
10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
. . . would we be able to tell? :D ;)

BBD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iDl2zwF8TM

dd74
10-21-2009, 01:55 AM
Hmmm...

Looks like I've found Xmas presents for my two bikes.

Thanks, Ray! :beer:

soulspinner
10-21-2009, 04:40 AM
That stuff looks great and ya 80 is steep but Ive never minded paying top $ for something of exceptional quality. My wifes motto with red....life is too short to drink mediocre wine :beer:

rustychain
10-21-2009, 05:58 AM
As to the price of the Handlebra. Please consider the effects if we let Ray walk the streets. Surly this would turn out badly. Yes he seems like a very nice bloke but do we really want to find out the limits of degradation he can withstand?. It takes a village to support the mad genius of someone like Ray. Lets all work together ;)

I have to say I really like the new sport/stiched look. Looking forward to using it on my bikes. I'll use the "old" stuff on my wife's bike :banana: My friends will just have to suffer the indignity of being out of style :p

I have found my solution for wet cold feet BTW. Its wool socks. Feet are wet but warm. Duh

FYI I run gel under my cross bike and a tape designed for baseball bats under the road bike. IMO it works better then the gel stuff and is 4 FRN a pop.

Going for a Looong ride today work be damned :D