PDA

View Full Version : Winter training -- a question of importance...

dd74
10-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Which do you guys feel is more important in the off season? 1) Maintaining near peak fitness or 2) Not worrying too much about fitness, but rather keeping one's weight down?

BumbleBeeDave
10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
What do you mean by "peak fitness?" Do you mean the cardio level you're at after a whole summer of riding, being able to go out and do a 50 mile ride at a good pace and still be ready for more? If so, and you live somewhere with a pronounced winter season (aka, wicked cold to ride outside), then you're going to have to spend a lot of time on a trainer or spin bike to keep up to that level.

Do you live in those northern climes? If so, can you do other outdoor cardio activities? XC ski? Snowshoing? Variety is good!

What other alternatives do you have available? Weights at home? Belong to a good club?

During the summer I usually do a lot of riding and minimal weight training. Then when winter hits I switch to more weight training, yoga, and spin classes, either stationary trainer based or regular spin bike. By January or so I can tell from the heart rate numbers and other factors that my cardio fitness is slipping a bit, but not a lot. In the meantime, though, I've gotten some variety, built up some muscle, and given all those niggling little pulls, sprains, and other injuries from cycling season a chance to heal. I also think taking a break from the cycling is good mentally and lets me truly appreciate it more when I do go back out in the spring or the few times over the winter I do head out.

So I guess I'm saying watch your weight, take a break from the bike, and get some variety. Your "peask" fitness will still come back quickly next spring.

BBD

dd74
10-16-2009, 01:10 PM
It's just that I hate the trainer, even while distracted by the television.

It's not so much I live in a climate where weather could be a problem (LA), it's just I'm hesitant to cycle in the dark from the days shortening. Mornings are impossible for me.

fiamme red
10-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Probably best to start with a regimen of lagers to build general endurance. Midwinter should involve high repetitions of the lighter ales, pilsners, and maybe even the occasional black and tan. Avoid anything with Hallertau hops, as the alpha oils can interfere with lactate metabolism. By late winter, you can attempt supersets of some of the really heavy porters and stouts, or anything you can find with Styrian or Talisman hops. When the thaw comes, taper gradually to the high-carbohydrate amber ales, and you should be all set for a fine season.

rugbysecondrow
10-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Try to maintain weight and fitness, build strength, but try something you wouldn't normally do. Swim, run, classes etc. My belief is that "Peak" is exactly that, the moment you actually peak. Maintaining that is not very fruitful and I think it could lead to injury. There should be a specific training cycle you adhere to.

Cheers

dekindy
10-16-2009, 01:42 PM
My plan for this winter is to lose weight, build my aerobic system, and do a 12-week cycle of High Intensity Training.

Losing weight and building my aerobic system are congruous goals. I need to ride at a heart rate of 113 bpm to develop my aerobic system and that is my peak fat burning rate also. I want to ride 2 hours everyday while watching television. I hope to lose 15 pounds by the end of the year. Then I will do the 12-week high intensity program January through March and be ready for Spring. There will be one to two days of outdoor riding as road conditions and weather allows.

Last year I did not work on my aerobic base and losing weight. Just doing the High Intensity Training increased my average speed by .6 mph comparing 3,000+ miles average riding speed this year to last year's speed which was 4,000+ miles of riding. On the 160 mile RAIN my average speed increased 1.2 mph. If I improve that much next year over this year I will be very satisfied.

http://www.roadbikerider.com/hit_excerpt.htm

Pete Serotta
10-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Weights, Aerobics, Pilates, Yoga, Running, then do cycling on weekends.

It's not so much I live in a climate where weather could be a problem (LA), it's just I'm hesitant to cycle in the dark from the days shortening. Mornings are impossible for me.

avalonracing
10-16-2009, 03:06 PM
So many cyclists overtrain over the winter and peak in March and are spent by April. We always referred to them as Christmas Stars and Winter Olympians. :D

johnnymossville
10-16-2009, 04:09 PM
So many cyclists overtrain over the winter and peak in March and are spent by April. We always referred to them as Christmas Stars and Winter Olympians. :D

This is exactly what happened to me. I trained really well last winder, best winter of my life. I was completely burned out by May 1st. This winter I'm going to take it easier riding, do some running, and not start any actual "training" until later.

Ozz
10-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I just set up my trainer in the garage this week....I figure I'll ride it a couple times per week for 30 to 45 minutes....primarily just spinning, maybe intervals once a week.

Last winter I spent Oct, Nov, and most of Dec with some sort of chest infection....starting to train, at my age, after taking 3 mos off just sucks.

Johny
10-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Weights, Aerobics, Pilates, Yoga, Running, then do cycling on weekends.

+1 and don't drink too much wine. ;)

gdw
10-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I run, ski, snowshoe, and take the dogs for long walks in the hills. Any riding is done for fun without a computer.

Peter P.
10-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Keep the weight down. If you train too hard during the winter you may suffer burn out during the season.

Keep bike riding/trainer stuff to say, 3 days a week plus weekends outside if they're not too cold for you. Otherwise, throw in some alternative activity like hiking, yoga, weightlifting, core work, anything to mix it up. Anything to stay fresh and hungry for the next season.

Winter is a great time to lose weight too because you'll have plenty of weeks to do it and you really don't have to pressure yourself to lose a lot before the next season. Heck, even 5lbs. lost over the winter vs. your end of season weight is a great accomplishment and will put you far ahead once the new season starts.

WadePatton
10-16-2009, 06:12 PM
i changed the way i eat spring before last and lost weight "without trying". i "ballooned" back up 5 pounds, but know exactly how to lose it again. eating right makes weight control a breeze.

but there's nothing more controversial and personal. therefore i don't debate it out here in public. i will, however short run-down of what worked for me to anyone who asks in email or pm.

fitness--i take "off" for fall hunting and wood gathering--both physical activities. then i do some 'cross and have three mountain bike events in the dead of winter.

so i really never take completely "off", but remember i'm not one of the guys on the podium much either...

goals--what are they? methinks that ultra-trained folks would benefit more from time off and breaks during season than us not-so-elite racers.

Karin Kirk
10-16-2009, 07:13 PM

If you hate the trainer then for goodness sakes, don't make yourself ride it. There are so many other ways to maintain a base level of fitness and refresh your mind. I think it's very important to do something different in the winter just to keep things fresh. There are tons of options, and surely there are some that appeal to you.

witcombusa
10-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I ski all winter.

Beats the hell out of the wind trainer ;)

Ti Designs
10-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Which do you guys feel is more important in the off season? 1) Maintaining near peak fitness or 2) Not worrying too much about fitness, but rather keeping one's weight down?

My answer is #3: First, take a month to get fat and lazy.

stephenmarklay
10-16-2009, 09:05 PM
I had a two year layoff due to my new baby boy and a down turn at work made me feel as if I had to work more...

Well I started pedaling my spin bike with the tour this year and it hasn't stopped. I am going to race next year so I am training now and will do so through the winter.

I have the inside ride rollers and it is not to hard to get a two hour workout on this and not go insane. I have done as long as four but that is bit harder to keep focus. I am going to try and keep up some duration but keep the intensity low until late winter.

I do Yoga about 2-4 times a week and really really dig it. It seems to unwind my hours on the bike...

salem
10-16-2009, 10:58 PM
What to do for winter training is a very general question. The answer has a lot to do with what you plan to do with the training: general riding, fast group ride, racing, etc, and what you consider "in shape." If you are riding nearly every day in the summer and training for racing, winter is a chance for rest periods interspersed with longer, non-hard-effort riding, while a more recreational rider might get plenty of rest days through the year and will benefit from maintaining basic, healthy fitness by continuing their riding through the winter.

Last, and possibly most important point: If it rains or snows where you are, once you spend a winter riding with full coverage fenders, you'll never spend another winter without them. The year I lived in Northampton, MA (home of a number of high level amateur racers and a few pros), you pretty much weren't allowed on winter group rides without full coverage for yourself and everyone else. More recently, I've discovered a beard really helps too if you can manage that (sorry to the women).

dd74
10-17-2009, 02:19 AM
My answer is #3: First, take a month to get fat and lazy.
I like it. USC football and Guiness Stout w/ Jameson's shots. :beer: