PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another "Which Tubular" Thread

majl
10-15-2009, 07:02 PM
So thanks to a local forumite I expect to soon take delivery of a new-to-me wheelset: the Easton EC90 Aeros. :banana:

This will be my first foray into the world of carbon, deep dish, aero wheels, and if I use them for the road, my first go at tubulars. I say "if" because there's a chance I may use them as race wheels on my cross bike. I'm already running Mavic Reflex / Campy Record tubular wheels mounted up with Grifos on the CX rig and I've been really happy with them. I'm thinking that to spend this kind of $$ on wheels, I'd like to get more use out of them than just 10 or so 45-minute cross races a year.

So, I did a little bit of homework, and seemed to have narrowed my tubular choices down to the Veloflex Carbons or the Continental Competitions. Both are about $75 each from PBK. From what I gather, the Carbons will have the nicer, more supple ride, but the Contis will be more robust and flat resistant. Does that about sum it up?

FWIW, I switched my clinchers from Pro Race 3s to Veloflex Paves earlier this spring and after doing so, wondered why I hadn't been riding Veloflex from the get go!

Jack Brunk
10-15-2009, 08:58 PM
So thanks to a local forumite I expect to soon take delivery of a new-to-me wheelset: the Easton EC90 Aeros. :banana:

This will be my first foray into the world of carbon, deep dish, aero wheels, and if I use them for the road, my first go at tubulars. I say "if" because there's a chance I may use them as race wheels on my cross bike. I'm already running Mavic Reflex / Campy Record tubular wheels mounted up with Grifos on the CX rig and I've been really happy with them. I'm thinking that to spend this kind of $$ on wheels, I'd like to get more use out of them than just 10 or so 45-minute cross races a year.

So, I did a little bit of homework, and seemed to have narrowed my tubular choices down to the Veloflex Carbons or the Continental Competitions. Both are about $75 each from PBK. From what I gather, the Carbons will have the nicer, more supple ride, but the Contis will be more robust and flat resistant. Does that about sum it up?

FWIW, I switched my clinchers from Pro Race 3s to Veloflex Paves earlier this spring and after doing so, wondered why I hadn't been riding Veloflex from the get go!
Step up just a tad and go with the Conti GP4000 tubular. A fantastic ride with a blend of suppleness and durability. You won't be sorry.

wildboar
10-15-2009, 09:08 PM
This should make it easy for you:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/CNTFDR7X

Continental Competition Tubular
$64.99
Size: 700 x 22
Weight: 250 g.
Max Inflation: 170 PSI.

majl
10-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Step up just a tad and go with the Conti GP4000 tubular. A fantastic ride with a blend of suppleness and durability. You won't be sorry.
Cool - thanks for the tip Jack. Sounds like a "best of both worlds" option. After hanging out on these boards for just over a year now, there are a handful of guys whose opinions I've really come to respect, and you are definitely one of them.

wildboar - That's one of the first times I've seen CC have better pricing than PBK. Thanks.

R2D2
10-16-2009, 06:35 AM
+1

djg
10-16-2009, 07:00 AM
The new vittoria cx II tires are really good -- round, supple, and good grip -- and not terribly expensive (compared with other high quality tubular tires). Also, they're available in a 23, which I like.

It's hard to go wrong with the veloflex suggestion -- excellent tires -- and the conti competition is a hard wearing tire that still rides like a good tire.

WayneJ
10-16-2009, 07:01 AM

I've ridden tubular tires for over 25 years and tried clinchers for a while. The best clincher tire I've ridden is the Conti GP 4000, so naturally I had to try their tubies. I was VERY disappointed. Although the tires are supple and durable, mine were lumpy right outta the box. I didn't notice it right away, because the roads where I live are mostly chip sealed (small rocks mashed into gooey petroleum substance). However, when going on smooth roads, I noticed it right away. Spinning the wheels and looking at the tire rise and fall many times per rotation. The glue job is spot-on and on new rims.

The worst was when I notified Conti of the problem. No response to numerous emails. Then I contacted their warranty guy at highwaytwo.com and he gave me a big run-around about having to deal direct with the merchant, etc. I told him I wanted to deal direct with the people responsible for the crappy tires. No deal. I'm a faithful customer when treated right, but Conti lost me. As soon as my Contis are worn, I'm off to another brand (probably Veloflex).

sspielman
10-16-2009, 08:46 AM
If you are going with tubulars, you might as well get the Veloflexes. There is not any appreciable difference in flat resistance or wear among the tires mentioned...but the Veloflexes have a much better road feel. I don't mean to say that the Continentals feel bad...they don't...at least not for a truck tire.

TAW
10-16-2009, 10:26 PM
My vote is for Veloflex over the Continentals. I have Competitions on a set of Zipps and I have Zipp Tangente on my other wheels. I don't care for the Continentals, even though they do seem to wear pretty well.

As a side note, why is it that the tires you like the best wear the quickest?

Louis
10-16-2009, 11:52 PM
From 11.4 a while back when I mentioned that I was a tubular newbie looking for advice:

"For tires, try Veloflex Carbons if you want the best comparison without ridiculous cost. Or get Conti Competitions for much better puncture resistance (so you don't have to worry about tubular issues because those things simply don't puncture -- they are marginally less supple but you'll like the low maintenance most). "

I decided to go with the Contis.

djg
10-17-2009, 01:33 PM
From 11.4 a while back when I mentioned that I was a tubular newbie looking for advice:

"For tires, try Veloflex Carbons if you want the best comparison without ridiculous cost. Or get Conti Competitions for much better puncture resistance (so you don't have to worry about tubular issues because those things simply don't puncture -- they are marginally less supple but you'll like the low maintenance most). "

I decided to go with the Contis.

Nothing against the veloflex but I'm telling you kids, the new vittorias are really good. Even 11.4 says so on some thread, here, or across the hall, or someplace.

You could buy FMBs if you're really feeling flush.

rustychain
10-17-2009, 09:19 PM
I have used everything. Been using Veloflex lately. Tried the new Vittorias cx 700x21 and could not see what all the thrill was. I then tried the tires in 700x23 and a whole lot better. IMO Contis Comps ride like garden hoses and the old Vittorias seemed to get cuts on every ride. The Veloflex had a great ride but sometimes suffered from quality control. Dugast are great but are very hard to find when you need them and cast to much. IMO the new Vittorias CX (700x23) are the best all round tire for the conditions I ride in. Good ride, good grip dry and wet, no flats to date, good durability for a race tire and availability is good