PDA

View Full Version : Compression on Record 10-spd Cassettes?

OtayBW
10-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Yesterday I replaced a Record 10-spd cassette with another one, and after I had installed the 9th cog, I had reached the top of the freehub (***?). It was completely level with the top of the freehub - no room for the 10th cog or the lockring. I cleaned everything to a spit shine, so I know there was no crud in there. Utimately, I lined up the 10th cog with respect to the splines and then got the lockring started. I was able to carefully tighten the ring, ultimately getting it seated with ~3 turns. Slight barrel adjustment and everything shifted perfectly, and today, I put in some miles under load with no problem.

Only thing I can figure is that the lockring put the whole cassette under compression, mostly through the spacers, until the 10th cog fit down on the splines. Any of this make sense?

Pete Serotta
10-15-2009, 02:55 PM
yes;;;;;

I had something similar. If all is tight and it works...leave it alone and ride. :)

Ozz
10-15-2009, 03:03 PM
it does seem the tolerances are pretty tight....a little jiggling and tightening gets all the cogs in the right position for me.

OtayBW
10-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Yes - I hammered pretty good for a while there today. No problems. But I tell you: this really flipped me out for a while because it seemed that there was NO WAY that last cog was going on there.

Will try the jiggle and tighten method next time!

riceburner
10-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Have you tried another Campy freehub to test relative tolerances? Sorta like some clincher/rim combinations, e.g. conti wheels and DT swiss rims are a bitch to fit......