PDA

View Full Version : new bike help

rawlings13
10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new road bike. I don't race competitively, so this is primarily for solo and club rides 4-5 times per week. My problem is that I've only had 2 road bikes. One was steel (20 years old) and my current bike is a 5 year old Cannondale CAAD8. I'm fairly certain that I don't want an aluminum bike, but I have never ridden carbon, ti, or even newer steel bikes.

I'm considering Serotta Classique or even a Fierte Carbon. My nearest Serotta dealer is about 80 miles away, but they don't stock any bikes. I've gone to local dealers that have other brands, but none of the best I've been able to find is someone willing to let me test a Jamis bike.

I'm certain that there are great bikes made in all the materials, but I don't want to buy one without knowing what it feels like first. Do most bike shops offer test bikes (even if it's just for a short ride)? It seems like the ones that I have visited expect to let me ride it only after I have decided to buy it.

Also, do you have any suggestions on test riding Serottas? I can drive a few hundred miles for a dealer with a "Test Ride", but since most Serottas are custom made, am I going to get a good idea of how a Serotta feels from a test bike or am I just better off riding a few other carbon bikes (Felt, Orbea, Jamis, etc.) before making a decision?

Thanks!
All comments appreciated!

dekindy
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
A Fierte (made of any material) would be one of the most comfortable riding bikes you could find. I had one an loved it and would still have it if I had not gotten such a great deal on a Legend and the fact that I just got tired of scratched/chipped paint and wanted naked titanium.

The service manager at my LBS purchased my frame and built it up with Open Pro wheels and a Selle Anatomica saddle. I rode it recently and it rode like a dream. One of the fast guys at my club ride has a steel Fierte so it can go fast if you want.

I cannot comment on anybody's custom process, Serotta is one of the best, as I have always ridden stock bikes.

I be interested in what your total budget is and the type of steel bike you had.

rawlings13
10-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Yes, I really like the Fierte. It's at the top of my price range. I didn't want to spend more than $4k, but I've moved that closer to $5k. I would like to get at least an Ultegra level of components. Ideally, Campy Chorus, but I don't have a lot of room in my budget to be that picky.

My old steel bike is really old. It was a Schwinn Super Sport from the late 80s. My Cannondale is pretty light in terms of weight, but it's a very harsh ride compared to steel.

thanks for the input.

BumbleBeeDave
10-15-2009, 12:27 PM
. . . How can someone be a Serotta dealer without having any bikes in stock? That seems like it would be a no-brainer for a bike company that you can't sell our bikes unless you actually have some bikes in stock to sell?

BBD

false_Aest
10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Seems like you can get a Imperial tonne of bike for $4-5k.

Cannondale's SuperSix 2 MSRP: $4600
Carl Strong offers a TI bike with Ultegra for about the same (steel is cheaper)
I believe you can get a Bedford in that price range as well. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Fuji's give you HUGE bang for the buck.

I don't mean to steeeeer you away from the world of Serotta--they make an awesome "whip."

----

As for test-riding a bike. Any store that has a bike in stock but isn't willing to let you test ride it (provided you leave ID and a major C.C.) isn't worth buying from.
----

rawlings13
10-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks. I'll go visit more shops and try my luck.

The Serotta dealer doesn't stock any bikes from any manufacturers. They do bike fitting and help you select and order bikes, but they have nothing on the floor.

Aest - I don't mind being steered away from Serotta, but I do hope that a Fierte won't be too "whippy". I've considered smaller custom builders, but those seem a lot better suited to riders with experience in a lot of bikes that know exactly how what they like about each type of material and geometry. I'm not quite there. My preference for Serotta is that I see a lot of carbon bikes with very few size options and very high prices. I figure that made in the U.S., with a good fit system, and a good number of sizes is probably a good way to go.

This brings up another thing that I've wondered about. If my Serotta dealer doesn't have any bikes that I can see, much less ride, is it better to go really far and find a dealer with Advanced Fit, Test Ride, etc.? In other words, my local dealer is 80 miles away, but they're not a full service bike shop. Should I look at bikes 300 miles away? Another state? I will be in North Carolina and Virginia next month. Should I go visit Serotta dealers or should I just forget about Serotta and go with a brand carried by a local shop.

PS - I live in the southern end of Miami-Dade county. We have a population of 2.4 million people, but no Serotta dealer!?

dekindy
10-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Why don't you indicate your location and let the members suggest Serotta dealers closest to you that they have dealt with. Maybe your dealer 80-miles away has a very good Serotta trained fitter and can determine if you have a need for custom or if a stock bike will fit you just fine. It will probably be the latter but you should rule out the former.

Unless you want a naked bike or one that will last better, steel will be less expensive, give you a great ride and will last a long time if you keep it rustproofed and touched up. In this case I would recommend a Fierte steel frame/fork ($2,130) with SRAM Rival and Shimano 7850-SL ($850-1,000) road tubeless wheels, Bontrager or Salsa stem and seat post, Cane Creek S2 headset, FSA wing compact handlebars with Hurricane Handlebra tape, and saddle and pedals of your choice although I highly recommend Shimano SPD-SL pedals.

I estimated the components from GVHBikes.com and the total bike would be around $4,300. Use that number as a reference for negotions with the dealer. Buying a whole bike you should be able to get it cheaper. That would be everything-frame/fork, wheels and tires, and all components unless you get a more expensive saddle.

This would be one plush ride and would probably give you all the performance you could ever need, certainly will not be whippy.

Edit: Since you would be below budget I would seriously consider an F3 fork.

SEABREEZE
10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Give chain wheel drive in clearwater a call, they usually have a stable of demos.

SEABREEZE
10-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Just thought of this, racers edge in boca is a dealer, however they do not keep any demos in stock, if you give them a call they will be able to let you ride one of there own personal ones, also they may contact a local customer in the area they they sold one to and arrange for a test ride. They are pretty good that way. Just let them know you are serious.

rawlings13
10-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks Seabreeze. I did talk to the guys at Racer's Edge. They were really knowledgeable and I would have no problem visiting them and getting fitted. They offered to let me see their personal Serottas too. Unfortunately, between Serotta, the dealer, and myself, I'm the weakest link. I don't know if I can properly tell them what I want without rides on more bikes. I wish I could tell them that I want the compliance of a Ti bike but with a stiffer bottom bracket, for example, but since I've never ridden a Ti bike, I'm just guessing.

Do most people buy just based on a best guess or do I have to buy another 5 bikes before I really know what I want? I'm not opposed to that, but maybe it means that I should be buying some much cheaper bikes until I really know what I want in a higher-end bike.

rawlings13
10-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Unless you want a naked bike or one that will last better, steel will be less expensive, give you a great ride and will last a long time if you keep it rustproofed and touched up. In this case I would recommend a Fierte steel frame/fork ($2,130) with SRAM Rival and Shimano 7850-SL ($850-1,000) road tubeless wheels, Bontrager or Salsa stem and seat post, Cane Creek S2 headset, FSA wing compact handlebars with Hurricane Handlebra tape, and saddle and pedals of your choice although I highly recommend Shimano SPD-SL pedals.

Edit: Since you would be below budget I would seriously consider an F3 fork.

Thanks Dwight. I definitely want to continue considering steel. Mostly because you get a lot for your money. To get a custom steel bike with decent components for $4300 is tempting.

Pete Serotta
10-15-2009, 03:08 PM
I would put down of paper, and thus quantify what you want in regard to a bike:

What type riding will you be doing.... long rides, short rides. touring, club rides etc.

What do you like and dislike about your current bike?

Small builders normally do not have the finances to have demo bikes, so that will pretty much leave out Strong, Moots, Ericksen, Bedford, etc.. They have many many satisfied customers so you can not go wrong - as long as the fit is good.

There are some good off the shelf bikes made by Trek, Cannondale, Specialized and Giant - AS LONG AS THEY FIT>

As to Serotta, what is the size of your current bike ?? If you live around Raleigh and can fit on a 56 or 57 cm - You can ride mine.

As to test riding a bike - that is fun for sure, but with a custom, if can sometimes be misleading until you can determine what the differences are on the demo vs what "your" custom would have,

You will not go wrong with a Fierte or a Classique. Th Classique is ti and custom. If that is what you want, get your dealer to get the order in before the end of the month, for prices on that model are going up by a few hundred dollars. (I assure you that you will like it -if unpainted ti is what puts a smile on your face.

Your dealer can sometimes get a demo in from SEROTTA (depending on your size).

Let us know if anything we can do to get you on a SEROTTA... (yes I am biased)

dekindy
10-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks Dwight. I definitely want to continue considering steel. Mostly because you get a lot for your money. To get a custom steel bike with decent components for $4300 is tempting.

The Fierte only comes stock. The Couer D' Acier (CDA) is the custom model and would still be in the upper end of your price range. I would personally go with the steel stay and F3 fork, which appears to be $2,695. This would put the price around $4,800. In addition to the exact fit the tubes can be tuned for the ride and performance that you want. As you already stated, that might be difficult for you to do and it definitely is the part of that process that would intimidate me. The best approach would be to simply tell them how you ride and the comfort and performance that you want and let them guide you through the process and spec the frame for you. However I say that from the perspective of having worked with a Serotta dealer and Serotta trained fitter for 3 years and having a high level of confidence in the dealer and fitter. YMMV.

CDA w/Carbon Stay and F3 Fork: $2,995
CDA w/Carbon Stay and S Fork: $2,795
CDA w/Steel Stay and S Fork: $2,495

palincss
10-15-2009, 05:13 PM
In addition to the exact fit the tubes can be tuned for the ride and performance that you want. As you already stated, that might be difficult for you to do and it definitely is the part of that process that would intimidate me. The best approach would be to simply tell them how you ride and the comfort and performance that you want and let them guide you through the process and spec the frame for you.

Agreed. If you don't have the experience on which to base such preferences, there's no way to specify fine tuning by choice of tubes. Besides, is it really necessary? While I won't go quite so far as to say it's verging close to "Princess and the Pea" territory, I will say such minor differences probably make no difference to most people, and unless you are very unusual the choices Serotta made with its stock frame, both in geometry and tubing, would be perfectly satisfactory. Indeed, better than just "satisfactory" -- I'm sure they'd be just wonderful.

rawlings13
10-15-2009, 06:34 PM
I can definitely see some benefits to getting one of the lower-end Serottas; regardless of frame material.

One last question for anyone who wants to chime in. When I bought the last bike they provided a free "fit". In hindsight it was not much more than measuring my inseam, putting me on a bike they had in stock, and putting a bunch of spacers on my stem. The end result is that I think my frame may be kind of small for me. These days, every bike shop talks a good game about their fitting process, but it's hard for me to tell whether they are going to do an average job or a great job. Should I go to a shop with "Advanced Fit" certification? is there any other criteria that I should look for when going for a fitting?

rawlings13
10-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I would put down of paper, and thus quantify what you want in regard to a bike:

What type riding will you be doing.... long rides, short rides. touring, club rides etc.

What do you like and dislike about your current bike?

Small builders normally do not have the finances to have demo bikes, so that will pretty much leave out Strong, Moots, Ericksen, Bedford, etc.. They have many many satisfied customers so you can not go wrong - as long as the fit is good.

There are some good off the shelf bikes made by Trek, Cannondale, Specialized and Giant - AS LONG AS THEY FIT>

As to Serotta, what is the size of your current bike ?? If you live around Raleigh and can fit on a 56 or 57 cm - You can ride mine.

As to test riding a bike - that is fun for sure, but with a custom, if can sometimes be misleading until you can determine what the differences are on the demo vs what "your" custom would have,

You will not go wrong with a Fierte or a Classique. Th Classique is ti and custom. If that is what you want, get your dealer to get the order in before the end of the month, for prices on that model are going up by a few hundred dollars. (I assure you that you will like it -if unpainted ti is what puts a smile on your face.

Your dealer can sometimes get a demo in from SEROTTA (depending on your size).

Let us know if anything we can do to get you on a SEROTTA... (yes I am biased)

Thanks Pete! Do you have any insight on whether other models are going up in price as well? Are any going down in price (you know, lousy economy and all)? :) Is it normal for shops to discount from msrp if the bikes are special order and they didn't have to stock them?

bkboom123
10-15-2009, 10:02 PM
BBDave.....

A certain Serotta dealer in saratoga springs, not to name names here, only has one Serotta in its stock. An ottrott with a full Sram Red group for a modest $9000. They usually go few and far between having Serotta's actually in the shop. If that one were to sell I wouldn't expect there to be another one there for at least 3 months. But it is still considered a Serotta dealer :rolleyes:

I would rather just go 10 mins down the street to the shop and have poric (i think that was his name) give me the perfect fit, provided I had the money to do so :crap:

I guess being a Serotta dealer it is really not a necessity to have a couple bikes in stock?

bkboom123
10-15-2009, 10:07 PM
oh as for the bike you should get.

I will say my dad has a Fierte IT and absolutely loves the ride. I have been allowed to take it for a short spin around the black once and I must say it was amazingly smooth yet stiff. Keep in mind I came to these conclusions on his bike, which is a 60cm, while I only ride a 56cm.

that really says something...