PDA

View Full Version : Dyanamo lighting

SamIAm
10-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I currently run a Schmidt E6 setup on one of my bikes. It gives off a good enough beam of light for casual riding, but as the riding becomes more spirited or on fast downhills, I am left wanting a bit more illumination. I know I could go with some of the battery powered LED systems out there, but I would like to keep it kind of traditional.

Does anyone have any experience with the Edelux or the Supernova? I would like to know if these LED based lights are significantly brighter than the E6 and if so how do they compare with each other. Or are there some other models worth considering?

Thanks.

fiamme red
10-15-2009, 09:58 AM
You can see a comparison of beams here: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp

rwsaunders
10-15-2009, 10:25 AM
That is a serious test.

BCS
10-15-2009, 10:47 AM
There was an article in the Randonneurs USA newsletter comparing these 2 lights. The Edelux was thought to be better. FWIW, I bought an Edelux based on this and I have been very happy with it. Both are superior to the E6.

CNY rider
10-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Also check out the review in Bicycle Quarterly. It was in one of the last 2 or 3 editions.
I'm planning the same upgrade myself this winter and haven't figured out what to get yet.

Peter B
10-15-2009, 11:00 AM
The Edelux is a significant improvement over the E6. I used to run a pair of E6's and a single Edelux gives off much more usable light in a smaller, simpler package. The beam pattern is excellent and as a plus the bulb won't wear out.

Can't comment on the Supernova.

RudAwkning
10-15-2009, 11:02 AM
I've seen both side by side. Supernova symmetrical beam hands down. Jan Heine may tell you otherwise, but I trust my own eyes.

The Supernova got me through a 24 Hour Fleche and possibly the worst sandstorm in FC508 history. Even with the follow vehicle, it was nice to see the ground solidly lit a few feet ahead of me to dodge debris, scorpions, tumbleweeds, potholes, etc.

Running this with a Schmidt SON20R hub.

A friend of mine bought an Edelux and a Supernova for he and his girlfriend. It was a coin toss as to who got what. He's running the Edelux and regretting not choosing "heads".

Another friend of mine has the Supernova Triple. Waaaaaay overkill for road riding. If he's behind you, and you go to check your 6, it's like staring into the sun. Almost dangerously bright.

Another buddy of mine just got an Edelux, based on Jan Heine's reommendation, and we desceneded a steep windy 4 mile road in the dark. He usually kills me on the descents. I got to the base a full minute ahead of him. He's also regretting his purchase.

Another bonus with the Supernova is that the optics are upgradable. As LED technology improves, you can upgrade your light for a nominal upcharge. Not so with the Edelux.

mschol17
10-15-2009, 11:03 AM
The eDeluxe is much much much better than the E6. It's wider and brighter; you can still see the beam even if there's streetlights and other ambient light.

sg8357
10-15-2009, 12:16 PM
The Supernova E3 is now the E3 Pro, brighter, better stand light.
The asymmetrical lens is improved too.

I have gone from dual Schmidt/Lumotecs to IQ Fly and now Cyo.
The Cyo is much the same as the Edelux, just cheaper.
The dual Lumotecs will put light farther down the road than a Cyo, but dimmer.

http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/e3pro.html

R2D2
10-15-2009, 02:07 PM
The Supernova E3 is now the E3 Pro, brighter, better stand light.
The asymmetrical lens is improved too.

I have gone from dual Schmidt/Lumotecs to IQ Fly and now Cyo.
The Cyo is much the same as the Edelux, just cheaper.
The dual Lumotecs will put light farther down the road than a Cyo, but dimmer.

http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/e3pro.html

I use the IQ Cyo. 1/2 the price of an Edelux.