PDA

View Full Version : How do you hide your campy derailleur cables?

cinema
10-14-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm putting derailleur cables in and the bar i have only has one groove to hide the cables on each side, which i have to use for the brakes. since the cable housing comes out of the back of my campy shifters, should i squeeze it into the small groove? or just run it behind the bar not in a groove but still under the tape?

Dekonick
10-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Personal preference. They can go either way.

cinema
10-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Okay, so outside of this issue, when i'm pushing up a hill and shifting my weight up towards the bars, will my shifting and braking be compromised because im crushing the housing with my hands? of course i try not to shift or brake on climbs, but theoretically?

rustychisel
10-15-2009, 12:06 AM
I just say "look honey. I've been buying derailleur cables again!" :beer:

Jeff N.
10-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Just pretend there IS a groove on the bar and run it that way as if there really were a groove. Or....
1. Switch to a 4 groove bar, or...
2. Switch to DA 7800, where you don't need that many grooves. Groovy? :cool:
Jeff N.

Dave
10-15-2009, 08:10 AM
The 2009 ultrashift levers have eliminated the problem of the cable crossing over the ergo body, if the front routing is chosen. If you route both cables to the front with only one groove in the bar, it's no problem. The shift cable goes into the groove and the brake cable goes right below it.

With the 2008 or older shifters, I always used fiberglass reinforced strapping tape to hold the shift cable snugly down and I used some camper seal foam rubber tape right next to the cable in order to smooth the transition with the bar.

With the 2009 levers, I've switched to the rear routing of the shift cable. With the short reach bars I use, the front routing would create a bend that's too tight and could lead to cable housing friction problems. With the new design, the palm will never rest on top of a cable housing.

keevon
10-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Dave -

Great idea with strapping tape & foam. I assume you routed your 2008 and earlier Ergos with both cables in front?

thwart
10-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Okay, so outside of this issue, when i'm pushing up a hill and shifting my weight up towards the bars, will my shifting and braking be compromised because im crushing the housing with my hands? of course i try not to shift or brake on climbs, but theoretically?Wow... you must really have 'man hands'... ;) :D
Never been an issue for wusses like me.

I've used Campy cables on bars with no grooves at all, and never had a problem. Some plain old electrical tape (and not a bunch) seems to be adequate. I do wrap my bar tape tightly.

You can buy rubber or nylon cable holders which eliminate the bulge (sorry, honey... :rolleyes: ), they have a groove and the cable fits right in it.

Dave
10-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Dave -

Great idea with strapping tape & foam. I assume you routed your 2008 and earlier Ergos with both cables in front?

Yes, I always used the front routing until I switched all of my bikes to the 2009 shifters. Now is use the rear routing for the shift cable. IMO, the new shifters are a big improvment.

ergott
10-15-2009, 02:54 PM
My levers are circa 2000 and both cables go to the front. I'm using Nokons for the tighter radius. Works like a charm for me.

Dekonick
10-15-2009, 09:18 PM
As mentioned, use the reinforced tape to hold the housing in place. As far as wrap, if you wrap with cork tape, and then wrap again with handlebra... the results are fantastic.