PDA

View Full Version : sram rival vs sram force

vqdriver
10-14-2009, 07:07 PM
any reason to go with force over rival?
any difference in weight i would think are easily overshadowed by the weight of my breakfast, so i'm not keen on gram counting.
i'm looking for functional/feature differences between to the groups.

nahtnoj
10-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I think Force might have slightly nicer chainrings?

bkboom123
10-14-2009, 08:47 PM
are you talking the new 2010 force or the older version?

vqdriver
10-14-2009, 11:02 PM

pdmtong
10-14-2009, 11:23 PM
the fit and finish of 2010 force is superior to rival. Buy rival if you want the lowest possible price. Buy force if you like the graphics, plan to resell, or want to approx RED (but at a better value/price ratio). IMHO, if you have the $ differential, buy 2010 FORCE

mbusa
10-15-2009, 01:06 PM
I have both a red and rival group and the shifters, in particular the brake levers are much better on the red (i.e. stiffer) the new force looks like red sans ceramic bearings... I'd go with that

Der_Kruscher
10-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Force & Rival shifters are still functionally 100% the same in 2010 - no compelling reason to buy Force unless you really like those graphics or care about what literally amounts to a few grams. The new brakes may work better but I haven't used them and so can't compare. The main weight savings between Force and Rival is all in the crankset but that doesn't sound like it's important to the OP.

I have both a red and rival group and the shifters, in particular the brake levers are much better on the red (i.e. stiffer) the new force looks like red sans ceramic bearings... I'd go with that

Likes2ridefar
10-16-2009, 11:28 AM
My '10 force front derailleur shifter feels better than the '09 Force I had. The lever throw is shorter and easier.

I vaguely recall reading they copied the Red shifters for them this year. Did they do the same inside the Rival?

Besides that aesethetics and weight are the only differences I know of.

Der_Kruscher
10-16-2009, 04:21 PM
According to the SRAM rep I spoke to at Interbike, no changes other than cosmetic to the Force shifters.

My '10 force front derailleur shifter feels better than the '09 Force I had. The lever throw is shorter and easier.

I vaguely recall reading they copied the Red shifters for them this year. Did they do the same inside the Rival?

Besides that aesethetics and weight are the only differences I know of.