PDA

View Full Version : specks of rust - how to handle?

Ozz
02-14-2005, 11:53 AM
After a particularly wet ride last week, I pulled the seatpost on my CSI to let it dry out. I had a light handy so I took a look down the seat tube and saw several small specks of rust....

It does not look bad, but I am now concerned over how to prevent it from getting worse, and how to prevent it going forward?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

FWIW - I typically do not ride in the rain, and the bike is stored in a dry garage, mostly unheated, but it is below grade and a water heater and refrigerator will keep it above 50 degrees even when it is freezing outside.

CNote
02-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Weigle's Framesaver is claimed to prevent rust from spreading.

Ozz
02-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Weigle's Framesaver is claimed to prevent rust from spreading.
Do you need to remove what rust is already in there?

dave thompson
02-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Ozz: There is no hope. Unless you ship your bike to me here in low-humidty Spokane, you'll wind up with nothing but iron filings on your floor. You may come over and ride it from time to time.

The rust may be caused by condensation. It would take years to do any harm to your bike, but Framesaver is the answer, it works very well. Make sure you apply it away from your living area. While in liquid form, it smells pretty nasty and is difficult to get off your floors if some drips out of your frame.

flydhest
02-14-2005, 12:10 PM
The rust may be caused by condensation.

alternately, it may be caused by condescension. Do you talk down to your bike? Do you think you know more than it about where the ride should go?

dave thompson
02-14-2005, 12:16 PM
alternately, it may be caused by condescension. Do you talk down to your bike? Do you think you know more than it about where the ride should go?
LOL! :D

Too Tall
02-14-2005, 12:19 PM
A Flex Hone with an extension is the answer, than Wiegel's.

shinomaster
02-14-2005, 12:19 PM
What you really need to do is take out your bb and circulate air through the frame to dry it out and then apply the frame saver. Or so I was told by my local Serotta dealer...
You should see my seat tube!!!

zap
02-14-2005, 12:20 PM
You can try to remove some of the rust and then put framesaver or boiled linseed oil on it. What you want to do is prevent air from reaching the rust spot. If the rust spot is scaling, it might be difficult to coat it 100% therefore allowing the rust to spread further. Once completly coated, it won't spread.

Climb01742
02-14-2005, 12:33 PM
buying a new frame is the wrong answer, right?

Ozz
02-14-2005, 01:01 PM
buying a new frame is the wrong answer, right?
I'm trying to put my case together for a Ti bike....how does this sound:

It won't rust
I already have the wheels - so it will be almost half price!
It will be the last bike I will ever buy (really, this time I mean it)

Climb01742
02-14-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm trying to put my case together for a Ti bike....how does this sound:

It won't rust
I already have the wheels - so it will be almost half price!
It will be the last bike I will ever buy (really, this time I mean it)

great, but just add this:

dear, i'll get polished ti so it will reflect your beauty.

cpg
02-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Climb dude,

That is priceless and no doubt will be used by others including myself. Ozz- squirt the seat tube as others have indicated. All will be well. Remember nobody really buys their LAST bike unless you're e-Richie who's so old now.

Curt