PDA

View Full Version : Do alcohol and cycling mix?

mcallen
10-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Apparently not when you're a collegiate cycling team and there are cameras around.

https://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=4496

Blue Jays
10-14-2009, 12:05 PM
I've seen cycling and alcohol occasionally mixed at cyclocross events.

54ny77
10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
eh, post pics of the party!

kidding...

here's a fun memory from collegiate cycling days: was on a big group/team ride, couple of knuckleheads ride right through intersection and the rest do a sorta stop-n'-roll-through, car comes up from behind, driver toots horn--ostensibly to say hello to the gang in a friendly way--and a bunch of guys start flipping the driver off.

woops, the driver was a major sponsor of the team... :crap:

if i remember correctly he pulled his money and demanded removal of logo from team kit. not sure what we did about that, hazy memory....must've been the post-season keg parties... :beer:

Waldo
10-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I keep thinking of doing the Berkeley Hills Death Ride (http://www.inl.org/bicycle/deathride.html) and drinking a beer after each climb.

Ozz
10-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Were any drinkers underage? (probably, :cool: )

Did anyone drive afterwards?

Were they disturbing the neighbors? Were police summoned?

Seems to me that if no laws were broken, they were only guilty of poor judgement....

Acotts
10-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Lame.

Whoever turned those pictures in to the school admin should be sentenced to live a lonely, solitary life. Which they will, becuase they suck and no one wants to hag out with sucky people.

Lamo.

Kevan
10-14-2009, 01:12 PM
it's my knees that say no.

Jeff N.
10-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Only after the ride. And then..... MANDATORY! :beer: Jeff N.

soulspinner
10-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Were any drinkers underage? (probably, :cool: )

Did anyone drive afterwards?

Were they disturbing the neighbors? Were police summoned?

Seems to me that if no laws were broken, they were only guilty of poor judgement....

Yeah, come on...next time no pics.. :crap:

Dekonick
10-14-2009, 02:01 PM
OK - so what is the problem here?

Unless there were minors drinking, I see no problem. It could have been a 4th of july party, new years, whatever. Just plain stupid. Ill bet if it were the football team nothing would happen.

Bruce K
10-14-2009, 02:11 PM
IMHO there are 2 problems here

1. The team represents the school and acted foolishly while wearing school logoed apparel

2. The school seems to have over-reacted by punishing the whole team . I'm guessing they wouldn't punish the whole football team for a similar transgression.

BK

rugbysecondrow
10-14-2009, 02:32 PM
I am glad that nobody had a digital camera when I played Rugby in college. The only problem we ever had was trying to figure out which photo shop would actually develop our photos...the good ol' days.

William
10-14-2009, 02:41 PM
http://sepwww.stanford.edu/sep/jeff/DrunkBiking.jpg

peanutgallery
10-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Times we live in.

When I was in school it was much more of a business relationship. You pay, we teach. We drank (lots) and raced (lots) and the university I went to didn't even realize we existed as a collegiate team. Today schools attempt to impart something more that ties in to what they are all about. Liability is a big thing that drives this, too. Rules have changed and they (colleges) can't look the other way like when we were young.

The town I live in has a small liberal arts college and I have heard that its students are bound to an honor code to rat out the partiers that live on campus. If a roommate comes home loaded and is under aged, you are bound to turn them in or you too might end up on the outs.

rugbysecondrow
10-14-2009, 04:52 PM
The town I live in has a small liberal arts college and I have heard that its students are bound to an honor code to rat out the partiers that live on campus. If a roommate comes home loaded and is under aged, you are bound to turn them in or you too might end up on the outs.

Being a snotty rat would have made life such a hell for that student that they would have soon transferred out on their own. I think my Dad would be more disappointed if I were a tattle-tale and stayed in school than if I were a stand-up guy and got booted. You can always find another school, but you can't always reclaim your pride or dignity.

Ozz
10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
IMHO there are 2 problems here

1. The team represents the school and acted foolishly while wearing school logoed apparel

2. The school seems to have over-reacted by punishing the whole team . I'm guessing they wouldn't punish the whole football team for a similar transgression.

BK
I got the impression that the party was at a private residence off campus. What college student doesn't wear logoed apparel? Look at the crowd shots during a college football game...all logoed apparell....most of the students "in the bag", so to speak.

The universities would need to ban half the student body from the games if that was the penalty for acting foolishly wearing logoed apparel.

I'm guessing someone complained about another party or something and the university saw a chance to make a statement (student athletes are not above the rules) without having a financial impact on the athletic program (e.g. punish football / basketball players).

54ny77
10-14-2009, 04:58 PM
read this on honor code. great stuff;

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/West_Point_Triathlon_Part_3_Nick_Dason_s_Road_to_R edemption__741.html

djg21
10-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Apparently not when you're a collegiate cycling team and there are cameras around.

https://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=4496

I've been known to a few drops of Ouzo in my bottles when riding in really cold weather to prevent my bottles from freezing. I don't know if it worked, but it certainly didn't hurt!

csm
10-14-2009, 05:49 PM
read this on honor code. great stuff;

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/West_Point_Triathlon_Part_3_Nick_Dason_s_Road_to_R edemption__741.html

those are exactly the kind of leaders we need. thumbs down AND kudos for the actions of the Army at West Point.

Dekonick
10-14-2009, 08:53 PM
What ever happened to common sense? Heck, in Brussels the students at the VUB get absolutely *****faced on cheap beer then send the first years out naked to parade around Brussels. It is accepted as normal rights of passage for 1st year college students to second year... Not fraternities, but organized by major. Common practice.

There is a tech where I am going for PT - she is a recent grad from one of the local universities (UMBC - I'll rat 'em out) and is fighting to have a reprimand removed from her record. What did she do? They went camping - and were loud. The DNR ranger wrote them a noise violation WARNING (not citation!) and reported it to the university. UMBC in turn noted it on their permenant records. ***? CRAZY!

I am glad these rules were not present when I attended - :beer:

nahtnoj
10-14-2009, 09:16 PM

Seriously?

I hear my college has gotten progressively stricter, but mostly took a "no harm no foul" approach during my time there. Paid to be nice to the campus police, too...

peanutgallery
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Seriously?

I hear my college has gotten progressively stricter, but mostly took a "no harm no foul" approach during my time there. Paid to be nice to the campus police, too...

Yep. 18 - 22 is basically an extension of adolescence. When you charge $40k plus a year the people paying the bills have expectations. I think even laundry service is part of the deal. Not like the old days

BumbleBeeDave
10-14-2009, 10:15 PM
. . . so what college was it? Somebody here must know! Inquiring minds want to know!

BBD

nahtnoj
10-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Yep. 18 - 22 is basically an extension of adolescence. When you charge $40k plus a year the people paying the bills have expectations. I think even laundry service is part of the deal. Not like the old days

40K a year bought the piece of mind that if I had a few too many beers on a Friday night I wasn't going to be expelled or have a criminal record. Laundry wasn't part of package. Would have been nice, my roommate never did his...

rustychisel
10-15-2009, 12:04 AM
What ever happened to common sense? Heck, in Brussels the students at the VUB get absolutely *****faced on cheap beer then send the first years out naked to parade around Brussels. It is accepted as normal rights of passage for 1st year college students to second year...

Well, in fairness to Brussels, there's not much else to do. :)

I was in Montpellier last month and the students gather in the square in laboratory coats and glasses, get *****faced and hurl eggs, white paint and the like at each other. For hours.

Anyway, this is lame. Such tomfoolery should not be rewarded by such stupidity. It sets a bad example. :rolleyes:

JD Smith
10-15-2009, 04:16 AM
One purpose of college is to prepare young people for adult life.
One way to do this is to help promote the illusion that a universitie's reputation is reliant upon a total abstinence from alcohol. Since members of the faculty and administration set the example by refraining, students who drink are clearly NOT representative of the college.
Here's three essential life lessons colleges are designed to teach.
Lesson 1-Drinking is a foolish and sinful activity, so any time you drink you should feel obligated to act foolishly and sinfully. Otherwise, you're not doing it as intended.
Lesson 2-Hiding your drinking from your parents is essential preparation for successfully hiding it from your compatriots later in life.
Lesson 3-You're not officially recognized as an adult until you gain the power to judge and punish the activities of others.

JD Smith
10-15-2009, 04:24 AM
. . . so what college was it? Somebody here must know! Inquiring minds want to know!

BBD

Liberty University?
https://www.liberty.edu/

peanutgallery
10-15-2009, 07:25 AM
I was thinking Marian

johnnymossville
10-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Sitting down and kicking back with a beer or two after a ride is one of life's simple pleasures.

William
10-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Sitting down and kicking back with a beer or two after a ride is one of life's simple pleasures.

You got that right!! :banana: :beer:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2009/09/500x_hopworks_bike.jpg

William :)

fiamme red
10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
http://www.picobello.to/fietscafe.jpg

goonster
10-15-2009, 11:24 AM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00782/Carlos_Sastre_782009c.jpg

goonster
10-15-2009, 11:26 AM
There are actually not many things that make me pine for Germany, but this image is one of them . . .

http://www.jugendfresse.de/wp-content/uploads/fahrradbier.jpg