PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a wheelset, please...

dd74
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
I'd like to purchase an all around performance wheelset able to fit a ten-speed cassette, and the choices out there have my head spinning.

I want something below 1800g f/b, can spin up reasonably well, climb, not flex too much, and corner. These wheels will be shared between a steel and Ti bike, if that matters.

I've used Bontrager Race wheels, which are ho-hum, but strong. Mavic Helium, which are good all-rounders, and now Mike Garcia wheels, which are great, but with the roads around here, always at risk of potholes, divots and such.

Anyway, I'm open to looking at all brands of wheel: I have no preference. To go custom might be a last resort, but I want to first see what's out there in "stock" form.

Thx. :)

GregL
10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Neuvation M28 Aero3's. Cheap, reliable, reasonable weight. I use a set as all-around training wheels. Solo rides, club rides, training races, centuries, you name it. I could not build a set of wheels this cheap ($249):

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/product155.html

Regards,
Greg

Ozz
10-13-2009, 01:03 PM
campy neutrons or campy eurus, depending on your tastes and budget. A friend of mine swears by his neutrons, and they are not too exepensive.

I have a set of the older eurus which have been just bombproof.

whats your budget?

climbgdh
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
highly recommend campy eurus as well. i've got between 11-12k kms on a set and they have been bombproof. as true and round as the day they were new. the roads i ride on vary but are typically pretty crappy. great wheels. i don't know what they weigh but the campy website might tell you.

Ken Robb
10-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Would Open Pros on Ultegra or DA hubs meet your criteria? You didn't mention wanting aero rims or Campy/Shimano did you?

caleb
10-13-2009, 01:20 PM
now Mike Garcia wheels, which are great, but with the roads around here, always at risk of potholes, divots and such.

What's the shortcoming of your Garcia wheels that you're looking to fix? If you're riding on the road any wheel is going to be "at risk" to normal road hazards.

Do you want something cheaper? Stiffer? More bomber?

Do you just want a new wheelset?

Right now I'm not sure what the question is.

dd74
10-13-2009, 01:25 PM
For Ken: I'll look at anything, really. I have semi-aero (if there is such a thing) in the Garcia wheels I mentioned, and to say the least, these wheels are fast - I can tell the difference between them and the Heliums.

My budget - I'd say between $250 and $300. I'm building up that Appel frame I posted last week, and want to keep things, if possible, below $1 to 1.5K.

Will the Neuvation M28 Aero3 wheel work with SRAM Rival, the groupset I'd like to plan for this build, or Dura Ace 7800 if I can't go with Rival?

I guess to use Campy Neutrons or Campy Eurus, I'd have to use Campy components, correct?

dd74
10-13-2009, 01:40 PM
What's the shortcoming of your Garcia wheels that you're looking to fix? If you're riding on the road any wheel is going to be "at risk" to normal road hazards.

Do you want something cheaper? Stiffer? More bomber?

Do you just want a new wheelset?

Right now I'm not sure what the question is.
The Garcias are a bit flexy and fragile. I was climbing up a twisty grade the other day, and felt them "give" a bit. The same happened during an uphill sprint.

Yes, I want something more bombproof, stiffer, cheaper, but isn't 2100g. That was my question.

Pete Serotta
10-13-2009, 01:51 PM
With your budget of 200 - 300, I would get some open pro wheels with Ultegra or Dura Ace. If CAMPY then Chorus or Record. They are out there used.

Going up the price latter, I have had excellent luck with Mavic K. (Liberace had a pair for sale or DT 240s)

PETE

GregL
10-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Will the Neuvation M28 Aero3 wheel work with SRAM Rival, the groupset I'd like to plan for this build, or Dura Ace 7800 if I can't go with Rival?
According to their website, the M28 Aeros will work with SRAM or Shimano (same freehub).

false_Aest
10-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Neuvations are awesome for the price. I rode a pair of SL5s and they were fantastic after break-in.

I just borrowed an Open Pro laced to a Shimano hub. There's something really awesome about this wheel. It is nearly as fast and way more comfy than my Hed Bastognes.

T

stormyClouds
10-13-2009, 02:05 PM
You sound like a perfect candidate for a set of Open Pro/Ultegra 32h, 3x wheels.
Can't go wrong with those.
You can get a set inexpensively from Bicycle Wheelworks.

bkboom123
10-13-2009, 02:09 PM
From first hand experience.....The neuvation wheels will hold a shimano or sram cassette, as I have had mounted both types on my set.

I will say the wheels spin up pretty nicely. Only downfall is the hub is somewhat "noisy" for the first couple hundred miles then it gets broken in. Great set of wheels, regardless of how much they are.

dd74
10-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Neuvations are awesome for the price. I rode a pair of SL5s and they were fantastic after break-in.

I just borrowed an Open Pro laced to a Shimano hub. There's something really awesome about this wheel. It is nearly as fast and way more comfy than my Hed Bastognes.

T
Are these still made? Excuse my ignorance, but wheels is where I fall off the knowledge cart. :rolleyes:

dd74
10-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Stormy and bk -- all good advice, and many thanks. I'm going to look into both your recommendations.

EddieBirdsell
10-13-2009, 02:35 PM

T

...and a fraction of the cost, and more durable...

Jeff N.
10-13-2009, 03:28 PM
I've got some FSA RD-220's. Great shape. Shimano 9-10 compat. $150 shipped. Jeff N.

R2D2
10-13-2009, 04:14 PM
FWIW You sound like you want some fast training wheels.
As been said it is really hard to beat Open Pro 32 3x on Shimano or Record
hubs. You used to be able to by them from Performance for 300 or so.
I convinced a freind to go that route on a recent Record build.
He couldn't be happier.
You want them to spin up faster then add some ceramic bearings.
Add some super low rolling resistance tires.
This setup will last a lifetime. Easy to repair. Easy to relace.

Then if you want some super aero or lite climbing wheels, save up and get some good carbon tubulars for that special day.

whforrest
10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I just purchased some lightly used mavic open pros with campy record hubs and I am excited! They look great, and I know I will get thousands of happy riding miles out of these. (I'm sure same with shimano hubs) You just can't go wrong with the overall quality. I remember years ago I purchased the first production wheels from shimano and I was very disappointed. For everyday all around riding you can't get a better setup. Like the previous post mentioned, get some exotic wheels for racing if that's your other goal. With great wheels like this you can really ride them hard and not have to worry about braking a carbon spoke, etc.
Happy cycling,Bill