PDA

View Full Version : Anniversary Bicycle Trip - Ideas please

Clydesdale
10-13-2009, 12:07 PM
My wife and I are celebrating our 20th next year and I am thinking about trying to book a cycling related trip for late-summer or early fall 2010. She's a strong rider but not hard core. She climbs fine and will keep up with any moderate route. We've done a few week long rides and she enjoyed them but I'm thinking something more like a "cycling-vacation." I'm working under these general guidlines...

1. No/(almost no) camping and a somewhat leisurely schedule
2. Nothing crazy -massive climbing, brutal heat, etc.
3. Around 50 miles a day
4. Some non-cycling activities (tours, spa, towns, etc.)
5. Nice scenery (minimal chance of bad weather?), nice stopping places, good food.
6. Not a big group - I'm not oppossed to unsupported or just riding on our own from a location like a resort or B&B.

Anyone have ideas?
Let me know what you think. She has been hinting about a trip or even cruise, but I would much rather plan something that involved taking the bikes.
Thanks

Hai H. Ho
10-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Congrats on the 20 years.

Do you want to keep it local or are you guys willing to travel outside of your state, which is where by the way?

goonster
10-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Haute Provence. Nice, Dignes, Aix, Grasse, Avignon. Go in September and stay away from the crowds on the coast. Very romantic. Seafood, red and rose wines.

or

Franconia. Wuerzburg, Nuernberg, Bamberg, Bayreuth. The locals go south, so this might be good in late summer. Pork, the world's best lager beer.

or

Austria. Passau, Linz, Krems, Melk, Vienna. Continuously flat route available, but spectacular riding in the hinterlands. Pastry, very underrated wines.

or

Japan. Tour the hot springs.

or

Finland. Different sauna every day.

or

Ireland, about which I know nothing other than stale Guinness jokes.

I'm recommending European locations because of bike-friendly traffic and roads, and excellent infrastructure of food and lodging, such that no reservations should be required if you choose the right season. Call ahead in the morning when you know the day's destination. A very flexible itinerary is possible.

rwsaunders
10-13-2009, 12:38 PM
It was 20 years ago today...sorry...I've been listening to the Beatles remastered discs.

Talk to Dave Thompson as he and his wife recently did some great riding in what I believe was Germany.

Ken Robb
10-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Closer to home: The Erie Canal Tow Path runs from Albany to Buffalo as the song says. Leslie and I did some day trips on it while visiting DBRK in Cannandaigua. To do any climbing you have to get off the path but there are plenty of places to do that. There is a town or village every few miles with food, drink and all kinds of accommodations from new motels to quaint B and Bs. There is zero car traffic except at some road crossings that don't have bridges you can ride under.

We rode there in October and July. Fall is my favorite time of year so an early October trip would be my favorite.

Clydesdale
10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I should have added that we will probably stay in the USA.

We are in Northern Iowa and willing to travel.

CNY rider
10-13-2009, 01:58 PM
If you are staying in the states then Ken's suggestion is a great one.
You could do a few days of Finger Lakes riding, then head east a couple of hours by car and do a few days in my neck of the woods, the Cooperstown area.
Great B&B's to stay at in both areas and all kinds of varied terrain.
I would suggest mid to late September, as the weather is at its finest and the tourist hordes have thinned appreciably.
If you want a ride leader/tour guide in Otsego County let me know.

malcolm
10-13-2009, 02:01 PM
How about the Belvedere cycling hotel in italy. Guided and unguided rides daily and not to far from the coast. I hear the restaurant is excellent. I'll post a link if I can find it.

http://www.belvederericcione.com/en/belvedere-bike/

dave thompson
10-13-2009, 02:55 PM
How about the Belvedere cycling hotel in italy. Guided and unguided rides daily and not to far from the coast. I hear the restaurant is excellent. I'll post a link if I can find it.

http://www.belvederericcione.com/en/belvedere-bike/
My wife and I did a week at the Belvedere. Absolutely the best vacation I'd ever had! Superb.

93legendti
10-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Napa/Sonoma

timto
10-13-2009, 03:00 PM
a hub/spoke kind of trip with options to not bike. Pick an interesting place with lots to explore.

Then somedays you bike, somedays you just hang, and then really get to experience the local hospitality you don't get just breezing through.

The bike tour can be relentless and tends to prioritize the bike a bit much if you're looking to hang too.

No packing /unpacking daily. My dream would be to pick some place where the cycling and non cycling culture is great (Girona?) and i could get bikey funtime and non bikey funtime too.

my 2 cents

SEABREEZE
10-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Croata, half the price as Italy

SEABREEZE
10-13-2009, 03:20 PM
I should have added that we will probably stay in the USA.

We are in Northern Iowa and willing to travel.

Oops missed this

I say Lake Hiwassie the mountains of North Georgia. Been through all the Appalacian Mts, doesnt get much picturesque than this. Lots of other activities other than biking as well. Cool and refreshing if you had a hot Iowa summer.

Happy Anniversary

spiderman
10-13-2009, 04:19 PM
i'd carry all my gear and my wife's
and attempt a self contained trip
along the mississippi from lansing iowa
--great b and b in the downtown--
perfect to start and end a loop!
south to harpers ferry for a great lunch
then continue on to marquette/mcgregor
via the indian mounds for the first night...
then back to postville and then waukon
to then return to lansing again!
...i'd even volunteer to haul your gear...!
congratulations on a nice even 20
strong work!
...or you could do a nice tour
with davis and connie carpenter phinney
out in colorado...
and i would be forever jealous!
http://www.bikecamp.com/camps.usa.html

sevencyclist
10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Napa Sonoma will have great mixture of good rides, good food, and good spas. One thing to consider is ensuring good weather for riding. Napa/Sonoma is usually rain-free between May-September. :beer:

weaponsgrade
10-13-2009, 05:09 PM
I'll second the Sonoma recommendations. Levi's Gran Fondo ride had some beautiful roads. Lots of vineyards if you're into wines, French Laundry, and San Francisco's not too far away. The weather's usually pretty good in the early fall. My other recommendation would be New England to see the fall colors, but the weather can be iffy and it might be a bit early to see the colors in full form.

sg8357
10-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Vermont, lots of way too cute towns and excellent B&Bs.

This company plans a route to your spec, distance, days etc.
Moves your luggage, makes the reservations.
You are on your own for lunch.

www.inntoinn.com

mack
10-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah great idea.......last year my wife and I went to Quetico canoe country for our 20th. Cycling may have been the choice had we not been to Italy riding together for eighteen days in '02.

I've got a little secret to share and will recommend southwestern Wisconsin, google 'bike tours southwestern WI' and you'll find ample resources for small run tours, B&Bs and all things cycling in southwestern WI related.
I don't get down there enough to ride, if you're prone to day dreaming on the bike, that area can often feel like a slice of europe countryside and country lanes.

On the other hand, if you and your wife are total cyclophiles......Italy is a No-Brainer! Check out UWSP bike tours, for a summer get away.

Enjoy your planning!
Cheers -mac

dumbod
10-14-2009, 10:31 AM
a hub/spoke kind of trip with options to not bike. Pick an interesting place with lots to explore.

Then somedays you bike, somedays you just hang, and then really get to experience the local hospitality you don't get just breezing through.

The bike tour can be relentless and tends to prioritize the bike a bit much if you're looking to hang too.

No packing /unpacking daily. My dream would be to pick some place where the cycling and non cycling culture is great (Girona?) and i could get bikey funtime and non bikey funtime too.

my 2 cents

A hub-and-spoke approach can be really nice. It's really hard to beat Girona or Riccione if you want to go to Europe.

If you want to stay in the US, try Ride Noho. (www.ridenoho.com). It's fixed-based riding out of Northampton Mass in the Berkshires about 2 hours west of Boston. Smith College is located in Northampton so there's a lot of culture (and restaurants) there and Amherst is nearby. There riding is excellent and can include anything from flat (not Iowa flat but....) to mountains. The scenery is particularly pretty when the leaves change but it's a pretty part of the world all year round.

The owners, Aldo and Elaine, are great people to ride with and they seem to attract good people - my wife and I go at least once a year and have never had to ride with a jerk. Well, my wife has to ride with a jerk but she's stuck with me.

William
10-14-2009, 10:41 AM
San Juan Islands in Washington State. Lopez and Orcas Island the two best for riding. Beautiful scenery, great food, wildlife, B&B's, ferry rides, and the view from atop Mt Constitution after a ride up is incredible. July, August, and early Sept likely best for good weather.

Oregon Willamette Valley for wineries, great riding, and good food. Do the climb up to the top of Mary's Peak. Highest point in the coast range with beautiful views.

William

soupless
10-14-2009, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=William]San Juan Islands in Washington State. Lopez and Orcas Island the two best for riding. Beautiful scenery, great food, wildlife, B&B's, ferry rides, and the view from atop Mt Constitution after a ride up is incredible. July, August, and early Sept likely best for good weather.

Just finished a Trek Travel trip in the San Juans. Awesome.

Highly recommend this company: amazing, awesome food, great beer waiting at the end of the rides, luxury accomodations, and fantastic guides.

jlyon
10-14-2009, 07:29 PM
How about Montreal down to New York Vermont Lake Champlain area, or even better Quebec City and maybe down into Maine.

P.S. your old Tricross is making a very good commuter.

bironi
10-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Did I miss the report, outside the bedroom that is. :beer:

dbrown
10-14-2009, 08:06 PM
If you'd consider Italy, I'd recommend Andy Hampsten's cooking and cycling tour in September2010. Fly into the small airport in Pisa, riding and or cpoking lessons n Tuscany. I'm hoping to go back next year with my wife.