PDA

View Full Version : Wireless computer question

dekindy
10-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Why doesn't someone design a computer with a laser or some other technology instead of a magnet so that the receiver is mounted solidly to the chain stay and not sticking out from the chainstay where I can kick it (this happened while I was test riding my bike after service because I was wearing tennis shoes instead of my cycling shoes) or fall into the spokes?

I know I can buy a Garmin but I would still have the sensor problem if I want cadence. And I know they make fork mounted computers but I want to put it on a trainer and I would still want cadence. Maybe Cadence won't be a requirement once I ride outdoors without it. However the High Intensity workouts that I follow on the trainer require increasing cadence in 5 rpm increments which I can't estimate. Maybe I will use Sheldon Brown's calculator to make a chart that equates speed and cadence in the gear recommended for the drill and get around needing cadence on the trainer.

Luckily the cadence function only was broken so I can still use it for speed and heart rate. I don't think it matters, but it was a Cateye V3.

dogdriver
10-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Lasers require line-of-sight (difficult from a chainstay to a handlebar), are expensive, need a relatively big power source, and a REALLY bad for your eyeballs if you look at the emission too much. Can you mount the sender on the inside of the chainstay so you don't kick it?