PDA

View Full Version : Classifieds: Price removal - why do it?

Louis
10-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Just wondering why some folks remove the sale price once the deal is done.

Any insight? I wouldn't mind if somebody finds out how much I paid or got for something.

Louis

BumbleBeeDave
10-12-2009, 08:26 PM
. . . a mystery to me, too.

BBD

duke
10-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I think you should only remove the price if it is a Vanilla. As a rule, most people can't handle the price of a Vanilla...
duke

xjoex
10-12-2009, 08:43 PM
I guess I am guilty of this, I usually do it so people don't email me asking if its still for sale... People don't read very carefully :)

-Joe

SoCalSteve
10-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I guess I am guilty of this, I usually do it so people don't email me asking if its still for sale... People don't read very carefully :)

-Joe

As someone who has sold a great deal on the classifieds, this is the main reason...and, I still get people weeks-months later asking if the item is still available...

Also, it is truly no ones business what the final price may be...That is between the buyer and the seller.

Just sayin'

Steve

Pegoready
10-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I can't explain it, but it seems vulgar to reveal what you sold something for after it's sold. I liken it to talking salaries, investments, etc.

bkboom123
10-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I think it is informative to leave what the starting price was for an item on the forum....what people negotiate "behind closed doors" via PM's and emails is their business.

I know since I am still learning all this stuff, one year into cycling now, it helps to look what other people's starting price was when I am trying to determine fair price for the parts I am selling.....I never want to rip anyone off or have other people think I am trying to do so, so I will do some "hmwk" before I post something for sale

DHallerman
10-12-2009, 09:27 PM

-Joe

Well, I would like to see the asking price too.

And, while people don't read very carefully, if you put the word SOLD at the top of the first posting -- real big like that, bold, in color -- I think that would take care of those whose reading skills could be improved.

Dave, who in fact came to this thread right after wanting to know how much some Campy Chorus shifters sold for

DHallerman
10-12-2009, 09:29 PM
As someone who has sold a great deal on the classifieds, this is the main reason...and, I still get people weeks-months later asking if the item is still available...

Also, it is truly no ones business what the final price may be...That is between the buyer and the seller.

Just sayin'

Steve

==========

Not the final price, sure. But the asking price.

Why not?

I mean, this is a public classified forum.

Just asking.

Dave

Volant
10-12-2009, 10:36 PM
I can't explain it, but it seems vulgar to reveal what you sold something for after it's sold. I liken it to talking salaries, investments, etc.

That's one taboo I don't understand (talking salaries, investments, etc.). I think people should talk freely about those things. It would either A) motivate and ecourage people, or B) piss 'em off enough so that they turn to A.

Most people I know would disagree, but not one can give me a good reason as to why they don't openly discuss these things.

On topic, keep asking price listed and mark the post SOLD as already recommended.

dannyg1
10-12-2009, 10:42 PM
I have a few nagging suspicions....

This is a very tough crowd around here BTW

1. If the buyer chooses to sell the item purchased later, there wont be a direct paper trail back to the original sale.

2. Screaming deals do not appear as often if there's a good database of price info for prospective sellers to draw from.

3. People/trolls who want to cause trouble can do it more easily if there's lingering history to research.

Stuff like that IMATMO

54ny77
10-12-2009, 11:05 PM
this ain't complicated. sellers should have ability to delete the ad and/or put sold in the subject line. for example, i do the latter (since we can't delete threads). end of story, move on!

WadePatton
10-12-2009, 11:07 PM
salaries because most folks have this misguided notion that income equals status and they're hoping you'll guess higher than lower if you're the sort who buys into that program. or they're on the flipside and don't want you thinking that they think more/less of themselves/you because their paycheck is fatter/thinner. see how messy that gets?

the one who dies with the most toys...paid the most taxes. :crap:

investments. easy, they don't understand them. pm for details on a simple example. not going to piss the pool here over that one.

asking price--geez, i hate it when i'm doing market research to sell and thingmo and all i have to go on is ebay "completed auctions".

fwiw--on the late contacts. i contacted a guy recently on a very old (a few months) "wtb" post. he replied the next evening. a few hours after i sold it.

so i sent him an email back with:

sold

i really did.

no i didn't.

cheers.

That's one taboo I don't understand (talking salaries, investments, etc.). I think people should talk freely about those things. It would either A) motivate and ecourage people, or B) piss 'em off enough so that they turn to A.

Most people I know would disagree, but not one can give me a good reason as to why they don't openly discuss these things.

On topic, keep asking price listed and mark the post SOLD as already recommended.

William
10-13-2009, 04:50 AM
sold

Pete Serotta
10-13-2009, 05:49 AM
It is the seller's option for it is their ad. If it is sold, the price really does not matter for there are so many variables (condition, size, time of year, timing of someone needing the part, and many other my ole mind can not think off).

If the seller wants to put the sale price fine - if she/he does not that is also fine. Value is in the eyes of the buyer and the seller for it is their transaction.

SpeedyChix
10-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I'm pretty random on if I leave the price in or take it out. Sometimes things don't sell or sell local, I'm most apt to remove the price on those. More expensive stuff as well. Other times I leave it in. That's about the extent of the non-pattern for me.

As noted above, the final sale price may or may not be what was listed.

If there's a huge push to leave them up, i'll leave em.

Just very happy that Serotta allows us to talk bikes and stuff here as well as relocate our bike bits. I've done a load of buying and selling here, met some great folks. Have fun here, learn, share, answer ?s, it's a great resource. Plus, it keeps Serotta top of mind for me when recommending bikes to consider.