PDA

View Full Version : OT: technology socialization

gt6267a
10-12-2009, 12:25 PM
I am noticing the change in my relationships the iphone / blackberry are inspiring. Between the news feed on facebook, scores on espn, games, etc. etc. They are amazing toys. That said, I am noticing that for some people, its something they have and use on their own. For others, its an extension of themselves. There are 2.x people in the conversation. The two of us, and their digital world.

I am wondering how this is changing your relationships. Do think its making them more rich with a diversity of thought or are you finding them disjointed and less intimate?

SoCalSteve
10-12-2009, 02:27 PM
I am noticing the change in my relationships the iphone / blackberry are inspiring. Between the news feed on facebook, scores on espn, games, etc. etc. They are amazing toys. That said, I am noticing that for some people, its something they have and use on their own. For others, its an extension of themselves. There are 2.x people in the conversation. The two of us, and their digital world.

I am wondering how this is changing your relationships. Do think its making them more rich with a diversity of thought or are you finding them disjointed and less intimate?

Both, actually.

I sometimes find myself being anto-social because my nose is in my iPhone, whether I am texting, reading or whatever...

But, when it comes time to look something up, get clarification or even just have a "word of the day" from my Dictionary program, it adds something to a conversation.

So, it can be both.

Steve

Acotts
10-12-2009, 03:01 PM
My clubmates go nuts when I text in the pelaton. But I tell them that I need to make sure my girl has just the right sandwich waiting for me when I get home...and ensure her good behavior while I am out on the road.

You can never be too careful.

dave thompson
10-12-2009, 03:01 PM
I use my electronic devices primarily for information search/dissemination. I find too often that electronic socializing leads to anti-socialization or non-socialization because it can become a substitute for face-to-face contact instead of an extension of the normal face-to-face contact.

The "electonicization" of socialization is, IMO, leading to the loss of civility, knee-jerk opinions instead of carefully thought out opinions and to a large extent, a polarization of attitudes instead of any sort of conciliation/mediation/common-sense thinking. Just because something is, doesn't mean it's good.

My 2 watts.

Kevan
10-12-2009, 03:32 PM
that she sees no point in adding 30 bucks to our monthly bill, her getting one, and what's the point of having two when all the extra features are more commonly used during weekends when we're hangin' together, anyways. I can't argue her logic, but I'm glad I'm the one who got the phone. She-who-must-be-obeyed has also brought up the rudeness factor these tools can create, with our constant tinkering and talking to others in the know.

These things are mini-portable TV's and computers. I love that virtually any question can be answered on the spot. The cool factor seems limitless. Last week, I was upstairs fooling around with it and decided to use the remote app. and played with the volume setting to the home stereo downstairs, kinda driving my wife dizzy wondering what was going on.

It has brought out the worst in me sometimes.

Ray
10-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Creates many more non-intimate relationships (like here), but doesn't really change the handful of truly intimate relationships I have. Creates one more way to stay in touch, but it doesn't replace actual face-time with good friends a family. But its a damn fine way of finding other people with similar interests for whatever level of superficiality<-------->intimacy people want.

-Ray

mpetry
10-12-2009, 06:13 PM
to see on a bike discussion site, my 2 cents is that the pervasiveness of mobile messaging and (even worse) twitter is that all communication is trivialized: if you can't put it in 150 characters you don't need to say it. And while it is great to use mobile devices to keep in touch (can you imagine meeting up in a strange city, or picking up someone at the airport, without it ?) I think there's a time when you gotta put the device down, and live your life.

Having said that, I spend 4-6 hours per day in front of the computer.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA