PDA

View Full Version : Postcards from Iraq.

dave thompson
02-14-2005, 12:08 AM
(note: marginal, if any, bike content)

My son sent me these pics today, the first ones we've received since his deployment to Iraq started. Things are easier now, with his rotation date back to the States declared and the elections there seem to have stabilized the country somewhat. I'm posting these for a couple of reasons. One because they surprised me with the weather conditions. My knowledge of that area in zero and I of course think of desert as hot and dry. The second reason I posted these is because as some of you know, I almost quit bicycling because of my great concern with my son being where he is and doing what he's doing. Well, that's then and this is now and I thought I'd share these with you good folks. Things are all good now, and will be much better when the kid is home on leave for a month.

The sandstorm pic my son calls "Life on Mars", and it happens frequently. Then there's the outpost, way out in the desert. And the view from the outpost in the Iraqi winter. And lastly a pic of my son, fresh off of a combat patrol in the snow. Says he tried to look hardcore, but it was difficult with a face frozen by the cold. He did like his rosy cheeks though. That white background is the snow!

shinomaster
02-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Our thoughts are with you and your son and family. I hope he returns swiftly home with smiles!! :banana:

mtflycaster
02-14-2005, 12:36 AM
ditto

Kevin
02-14-2005, 05:47 AM
Great son. Great pictures.

Kevin

JimmyO
02-14-2005, 05:59 AM
Please tell your son thanks and God bless.

BumbleBeeDave
02-14-2005, 06:17 AM
. . . I have had, and continue to have, the utmost respect and admiration for all the people like your son who have left their families and their “real” lives behind when their nation calls. I hope he comes back safe and sound and is out on a ride with you soon!

BBDave

cinelli
02-14-2005, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the images Dave! Say thanks to your son for his courage and service to his country. God Bless both of you.

William
02-14-2005, 06:28 AM
You have a great son Dave!!!!

Wishing all the best for him and a safe and healthy return to the states.

William

Kevan
02-14-2005, 07:08 AM
and the tens of thousands of parents out there, wringing their hands in angst for their kids overseas. They should have medals for you 'rents. :cool:

Great photos. Where's the one of your son on the back of a camel while singing, "I'm off on the road to Morocco"? :D

Bill Bove
02-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Give the kid the biggest bear hug you've ever given him when he comes home, but let him talk about his tour at his speed.

djg
02-14-2005, 02:57 PM
nm

alembical
02-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Dave,
My thoughts are with you and the family as well. I am glad that you stuck around here, your posts are always great. Are you back riding again? I probably missed it, as I am here some, and away some, but I knew that you were taking some time off the bike.

Alembical

weisan
02-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks for sharing, Dave.

ben rabin
02-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Sobering. I just came back from a terriffic ride in 72 degree sunny skies. Good Luck and Gods speed on a safe return to the states. I forget how lucky I am to live here appreciating the liberties available to us all, without a family member in the military service. Thank You.

pale scotsman
02-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks for sharing Dave.

Kevan
02-14-2005, 03:46 PM
an errant banana sticker that's found itself stuck to the backside of an Abrams tank out there, now would it??? :D

Jeff N.
02-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Let us know when he reaches our shores. Good shots. The unmaned M-60 machinegun (AKA "Pig")looks ready for action. But I'll tell you, I never knew they got snow there. Anywhere. Jeff N.

gasman
02-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the photos. I think you are lucky to have such a great son (who looks pretty hardcore to me!) and he is lucky to have such a great Dad. I'm glad you're riding again.
Thank him from me (and others I'm sure) for being over there. I may not believe in or support the war but I sure as heck believe in and support all our young men and women putting their lives on the line overseas. May they all return safely.

Dekonick
02-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Looks more like Nova Scotia than Iraq... Did I see a polar bear off in the distance? :rolleyes:

Seriously - Hope all is well with him, his felllow American soldiers, and their respective significant others.

the walrus
02-15-2005, 06:41 AM
Thank you for putting a human face on a... (I'm at a loss here for one adjective that describes my feelings about this "war")...situation. I wish your son and your family good luck and hope all the solders get pulled out of there soon/now/right now/yesterday.

dave thompson
02-18-2005, 03:32 PM
This has been an interesting thread, at least for me. I think I posted it mainly for 'dadly' pride, but also as an expression of my acceptance for 'what is'.

As a former USAF Viet Nam vet I was originally concerned about todays military becoming entwined with the politics of the war as happened during Viet Nam. However after receiving more than a few personal messages from folks who didn't agree with the war but expressed support for the military who have to be in it, I'm more confident that when our kids come home they won't face the same problems that our guys did when they returned from S.E. Asia. Those guys were labeled as pariahs by some simply because they did what they were told to do, fight.

It will interesting when my son comes home on his 30-day leave to see how much, if any, he has been changed by his experiences.

And to those who have young kids now, I say enjoy them for every second. They grow up much too fast.

Spinner
02-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Dave,

Please tell your son thanks from me. And to you and your other family members, thanks as well.

mdeeds71
02-18-2005, 03:45 PM
My greatest admiration for him and his return...I just completed my 18 months abroad with the Army....Several different theaters mostly beyond conventional support....but it never surprises me as to the men and women that choose to serve....

Jeff Weir
02-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks Dave. My thoughts are with you and your family. Here's to a safe trip home!
Jeff

GoJavs
02-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Dave - my brother-in-law came back from Iraq a few months ago and hasn't really wanted to talk much about it. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who is willing to get on a plane and travel to the other side of the world to fight on our behalf. Best wishes for a safe return.

dirtdigger88
02-18-2005, 09:32 PM
thank him for me and my family too- I know you are proud

Jason