PDA

View Full Version : MeiVici AE Question

dummy
10-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Has anyone out there ordered a MeiVici AE? Was it delivered and how long did it take before it came in? Reason I ask, I've been considering one, but I've heard from a buddy that he's been waiting over 6 months for his. That seems a bit long so now I'm considering a my alternatives.

frannek
10-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I am getting ready to do a project AE with them and was told 12-14 weeks. I was also told it could be longer depending on final geometry. I don't think they have created all the molds yet to cover all of the sizes and variables.

dekindy
10-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Earlier this year, I don't remember exactly when but it has been months, Serotta started advertising 3 weeks or less turnaround for all models except Meivici AE which is listed as 16 weeks.

In case you missed it.
http://www.serotta.com/3-weeks-or-less.html

bpatterson
10-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Mine took a long time, as soon as I crashed and cracked a rib it showed up. It was worth it! Had it out today for 72 miles

Brian Smith
10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Mine took a long time, as soon as I crashed and cracked a rib it showed up. It was worth it! Had it out today for 72 miles

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
We're working hard at Serotta to bring those lead times down and to process existing orders as smoothly as we can.

Does your first name happen to be Brian?

Bob Ross
10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
he's been waiting over 6 months for his. That seems a bit long

Clearly I've stepped into the wrong forum...

Pete Serotta
10-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Clearly I've stepped into the wrong forum...
:) ;) :D

bpatterson
10-16-2009, 04:02 PM
no Brian here

Pete Serotta
10-16-2009, 05:07 PM
AE Delivery Schedule Update

Without question the MeiVici AE has been one of Serotta's most significant undertakings. Admittedly, progressing from one phase of production to the next has taken more time than forecast. While we truly hate to disappoint on delivery, our first commitment is to deliver the product 'right' and we know that our company history of excellence, longevity and high performance support this claim.

I'd also like to make it clear that we never intentionally misrepresent forecasted deliveries. We pass on what we believe to be accurate information within a given timeline. With the AE, we've crossed new frontiers, delivering a level of performance, accuracy, customization and reliability that is unprecedented in the category of custom carbon aero bikes. Simply put, some of the manufacturing benchmarks have taken more time than predicted.

I'd like to emphasize that while the manufacturing process development is off target, this has nothing to do with the quality of the finished product, only how fast and efficiently we can produce them.

Being able to produce a full range of custom geometries requires a massive selection of parts molds and fixtures....and this is what has been at the root of the production scheduling issue - this, combined with a steady flow of orderscoming in at a rate that is faster than we are producing the frames. As further explanation, when we're finished with mold making, there will be about 80 molds of which we utilize a selection of 10 for each frame, before each of those ten parts is custom trimmed.

We anticipate that by the end of January 2010 (4 months) we will have completed all the molds to cover better than 95% of new order requirements. At that time, our shop will be able to apply its full resources to completing orders rather than splitting time between tooling and producing frames. Then we'll be able to slowly reel in delivery times bringing them closer to our other models.

Unless you have been told otherwise, orders that have been placed before September 15 will be delivered before the end of this year. As of this writing, more recent orders will be delivered in January and any new orders will be delivered in February.

bpatterson
11-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Santa for my troubles I would like some light carbon fiber bottle cages (black) with some KELLY GREEN spray over in a artistic way

bpatterson
11-03-2009, 11:13 PM
I love my bike

McQueen
11-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Have you posted pics somewhere??

Going through the ordering process now, and am on the whole paint scheme decision. Curious to see what you did?

ThasFACE
11-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Is there a similar delay with the 'regular' meivici?

zap
11-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Pete, what is the range of weights (frame/fork) for units produced so far?

Climb01742
11-04-2009, 10:32 AM

for the economy to recover?

Pete Serotta
11-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Pete, what is the range of weights (frame/fork) for units produced so far?

I do not know......If I had to put a number on the built up bike, (red or DA) I would say 15 lbs or a little less. Really dependent on wheels, pedals, seat and if painted or clear. (as well as size of frame and cassette).

Lightness is only one aspect of total design and is not the highest priority, They have a lifetime warranty so durability is a higher priority.

Regular non AE Meivici is not the same wait to be built for they use LUGS and not the molds of the AE>

bpatterson
11-14-2009, 12:37 AM
here she is

bpatterson
11-14-2009, 12:38 AM
try again she is bashful
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=60629&stc=1

bkboom123
11-14-2009, 06:16 AM
straight from the horses mouth, from two guys that work at the factory.....

I was there last week and specifically asked this question.

"Ben's Meivi AE with Campy Super record came in at 16.5 pounds" They said it could drop some more weight with "better" wheels, they had either Zipp Teams or Dt Swiss 1450 on there.

Now to me, that seems pretty heavy. DA 7900 is about 200-300 grams more then SR and Sram Red, if I remember correctly. So I would imagine Ben's bike built up with DA would come in closer to the 17 pound side. The wheels that were on there are not exactly heavy by any means, both weigh less than 1500 grams for the set.

Unless you are dropping some lightweight obermayer's on here, which I am guessing many of the buyers of the AE would be able to do, then you are looking at a 16-17 pound bike. Remember though that they were not exactly going for lightweight in this project, things were beefed up a bit to gain some of the advantages of Aero.....

Side, note.....that head tube shape is pretty damn gnarly on this bike (a good thing) and the second I saw two of their AE demos, I fell in love :beer:

jlwdm
11-14-2009, 09:18 AM
I would think most AEs would have a lot lighter carbon tubulars on them.

Jeff

c-record
11-14-2009, 09:51 AM
straight from the horses mouth, from two guys that work at the factory.....

I was there last week and specifically asked this question.

"Ben's Meivi AE with Campy Super record came in at 16.5 pounds" They said it could drop some more weight with "better" wheels, they had either Zipp Teams or Dt Swiss 1450 on there.

Now to me, that seems pretty heavy. DA 7900 is about 200-300 grams more then SR and Sram Red, if I remember correctly. So I would imagine Ben's bike built up with DA would come in closer to the 17 pound side. The wheels that were on there are not exactly heavy by any means, both weigh less than 1500 grams for the set.

Unless you are dropping some lightweight obermayer's on here, which I am guessing many of the buyers of the AE would be able to do, then you are looking at a 16-17 pound bike. Remember though that they were not exactly going for lightweight in this project, things were beefed up a bit to gain some of the advantages of Aero.....

Side, note.....that head tube shape is pretty damn gnarly on this bike (a good thing) and the second I saw two of their AE demos, I fell in love :beer:

Definitely heavier than the 'perfect' bike. I'm on Di2, Zipp Vuma crankset, Aliante saddle, Zipp 404 tubbies. I'm really starting to dig the bike though and looking forward to next year when I can get in shape and really ride it. My Addict race bike was #14 so #2.5 is definitely noticeable but I still like the AE. I do think it's too nice ($$) to really race though.

McQueen
11-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Definitely heavier than the 'perfect' bike. I'm on Di2, Zipp Vuma crankset, Aliante saddle, Zipp 404 tubbies. I'm really starting to dig the bike though and looking forward to next year when I can get in shape and really ride it. My Addict race bike was #14 so #2.5 is definitely noticeable but I still like the AE. I do think it's too nice ($$) to really race though.

Do you have pics on how you handled the wires/battery on the AE?

bkboom123
11-14-2009, 10:16 AM
so I wasnt too far off there. I figured the factory guys wouldnt steer me wrong. It make sense with your exceptionally light wheels and crank running with a bit heavier Di2 group (comparitively to SR and red). Thats gotta be one sweet ride though. Got some pics and a ride report?

Brian Smith
11-14-2009, 01:35 PM

Just to clarify, the Meivici SE is not subject to the same production time waits of the AE.

And actually Climb, even though it is not an economy model, the Meivici is a popular seller.

Climb01742
11-14-2009, 06:16 PM
And actually Climb, even though it is not an economy model, the Meivici is a popular seller.

:beer:

c-record
11-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Here you go. http://photobucket.com/bikejunkieserotta

Sorry the one photo is so blurry. I did get to learn about Picasa pictures-thanks.

Serotta did up a nice delrin battery mount so I didn't have to relocate the ST H2O mount. It took a little custom grinding/machining as I didn't have the 'correct' battery mount. A pain but it turned out really clean and nice.

I'll post another thread with a bike report.

McQueen
11-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Here you go. http://photobucket.com/bikejunkieserotta

Sorry the one photo is so blurry. I did get to learn about Picasa pictures-thanks.

Serotta did up a nice delrin battery mount so I didn't have to relocate the ST H2O mount. It took a little custom grinding/machining as I didn't have the 'correct' battery mount. A pain but it turned out really clean and nice.

I'll post another thread with a bike report.

Thanks, for the update.. since the wire starts and finishes essentially where the derailleur cable would have, is there a reason they couldn't run the wire internally? (would it have been flopping around, unsecured, etc?)

(with the battery location you chose, anyone who doesn't realize you have di2, is simply going to think you have a cadence sensor - where the normal location is in plain view)

Do the Zipp chainrings work well with the di2 front derailleur?

Love the leader paint scheme.. great looking bike..

zap
11-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Can't speak of the Serotta AE or di2 config but I ran Mavic Zap rear derailleur cable through my Look KG 196 'blade. The cable just fit when I took out the liner. Cut and pulled the cable through, mil spec soldered the wires together and everything worked as advertised for 12 odd years.

Much depends on how clean the insides are as the bulk of my time was spent pulling the cable through the dt-bb-cs. I think the job took me 4 hours but the effort was well worth it.

c-record
11-16-2009, 09:27 PM
I would have loved to be able to run the wires internally. The cable guides at the HT end of the DT are rivited in. If they screwed in or something the wires could have easily been run internally. I do need to get some of the Shimano white colored wire covers for the front of the bike.

A friend who is the Shimano rep wondered about the Zipp crank too as they are really pushing DA cranks with the front der. It sounds like it may shift a touch better but the Zipp sure shifts fast-I sure can't imagine that chainring flexing much!

Thanks for the compliment on color. :)

bpatterson
06-22-2010, 11:16 PM
my baby was hit by a car............ :crap:

bpatterson
06-22-2010, 11:24 PM
irish AE hit by a car