PDA

View Full Version : Swift carbon??

ericspin
10-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Would it be appropriate/acceptable to the bike police/cool/uncool etc. etc. to put my Brooks Swift on a Record carbon fiber seatpost?

Please do not say "it's your bike, do what you want"

I am asking for opinions here. (did I say that?)

dave thompson
10-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Would it be appropriate/acceptable to the bike police/cool/uncool etc. etc. to put my Brooks Swift on a Record carbon fiber seatpost?

Please do not say "it's your bike, do what you want"

I am asking for opinions here. (did I say that?)
"It's your bike." :p That said, IMO a Swift properly placed for your use would not be out of place on any bike, let alone a carbon seatpost.

ericspin
10-10-2009, 04:22 PM
IMO a Swift properly placed for your use would not be out of place on any bike, let alone a carbon seatpost.

That's my hope.

I would put it on my Concours CS which has a nude carbon Serotta 02 fork and a cf seatstay so the cf post really works. In it's first life I had a Record post on it but that was back in the day when I rode an Arione (asshatchet).

Peter B
10-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I like my 'asshatchet' and my Swift and I wouldn't hesitate to put the Brooks on a CF post. Just be sure it's honey and well broken in. :beer:

R2D2
10-11-2009, 06:07 AM
I'm have a Swallow on a Campagnolo Record post.
No one looks at the post. But I get a lot of questions on the saddle.

duke
10-11-2009, 06:14 AM
I don't think you should be allowed to put a Brooks on anything that doesn't have at least three wheels. Those things are ghastly looking....find a real saddle.
You asked.
duke

R2D2
10-11-2009, 06:18 AM
....find a real saddle.
You asked.
duke
Such as?

TMB
10-11-2009, 06:24 AM
I don't think you should be allowed to put a Brooks on anything that doesn't have at least three wheels. Those things are ghastly looking....find a real saddle.
You asked.
duke

Lord knows,

Nothing can possibly be more important than how a saddle looks . :rolleyes:

It's a saddle.

You sit on it.

fourflys
10-11-2009, 11:23 AM
All I can tell you is I've tried most of the high dollar chi-chi saddles and nothing came close to the comfort of my Brooks.... For me, regardless of what bike/post I have, I'm pretty sure it will have a Brooks unless some miracle saddle comes out....

ericspin
10-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Those things are ghastly looking....find a real saddle.
You asked.
duke

Well, not really. I asked about the saddle post combo, not an opinion on the brand of saddle. I appreciate your right to an opinion as I certainly passed some judgement on the Arione in my original post.

The only difference in my opinion and yours is that you are wrong. :argue:

SpeedyChix
10-11-2009, 01:27 PM
A Swift won't be too bad on there. I might think twice about a B17, it's just a visual thing. Bottom line, when you're on the bike, the saddle isn't really showing much and your bumm will be most happy.

caleb
10-11-2009, 02:09 PM
If you're skinny and fast it'll be sweet. If you're not, it'll be dumb.

You asked.

duke
10-11-2009, 03:22 PM
You don't often see fast skinny guys on Brooks saddles...
duke

Nautilus
10-11-2009, 04:00 PM
duke
I do!

I say post a picture of the setup for us to better determine it's aesthetic qualities.

Monthly Payment
10-11-2009, 04:23 PM
A high end saddle on a high end seatpost. What could be wrong about that?

SpeedyChix
10-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Take a look at this one (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=711699&postcount=1)

Black post, carbon? Whatever. This thing is sharp!

sg8357
10-12-2009, 07:26 AM

Steel rails, carbon is OK.
Ti rails, you are doomed to hunting down a Chorus Ti post.

Swallows are only allowed on Nitto SP-72, NJS stamp is de rigeur.
Acorn Tri-fold bag is also required.

Practical note, the one bolt Campy posts are not the greatest for Brooks,
the serrated clamp is a minor nuisance.

paczki
10-12-2009, 07:42 AM
duke

Why do you think that is? Do you think that there's something magical about the saddle that impedes speed?

Come on down to Boston and I'll ride with you on my Brooks. We'll see how fast you are, big talker!

gemship
10-12-2009, 08:27 AM
isn't a Brooks saddle arguably the most popular saddle used amongst the forum members around here? If you feel it's too old school for a carbon post how another popular one, say the Aliante?

giverdada
10-12-2009, 11:43 AM
'cause i've been fantasizing about getting a cinelli ram post (i saw so many of them used on ebay for around $100 last year) for my ti, but there's not really an elegant way to get my black brooks b17 on it without it looking somewhat entirely ridiculous. i think all things would be solved, however, with a move to a swift/swallow and the ram post. carbon and leather are cool. carbon and metal are cool. give'r.

duke
10-12-2009, 04:16 PM
We'll see how fast you are, big talker!

Touchy aren't you.
I don't think the saddle has anything to do with being fast.
My personal observation was: I don't see many fast skinny guys on Brooks saddles. Maybe you do, and maybe you are one of the them. Hard to say on the internet. Sorry if you were offended I am just having some fun here.
duke

paczki
10-12-2009, 04:24 PM
We'll see how fast you are, big talker!

Touchy aren't you.
I don't think the saddle has anything to do with being fast.
My personal observation was: I don't see many fast skinny guys on Brooks saddles. Maybe you do, and maybe you are one of the them. Hard to say on the internet. Sorry if you were offended I am just having some fun here.
duke

I wasn't offended, I was just being silly. :banana: :banana: :banana:

I have an Arione on my carbon bike.

Kirk007
10-12-2009, 10:36 PM
I think either a swift or swallow is fine aesthetically with a carbon post (actually I think the post is irrelevant from a fashion police point of view) I assume that the post is going on a race bike and again I think the overall is fine. I'm less jazzed by other Brooks on race bikes but that's me, you are you - ride what you like and forget the critics, we're not the asses that matter.

R2D2
10-13-2009, 06:49 AM
isn't a Brooks saddle arguably the most popular saddle used amongst the forum members around here? If you feel it's too old school for a carbon post how another popular one, say the Aliante?

I've used the Aliante a lot. It's good for 200K. Above 200K I want to sit on the Swallow.
I've actually worn the fake plastic leather off the Aliante. Fizik basically said
tough buy a new one.
The Brooks stands no chance of wearing out.
I was fat and slow, now I'm thin and slow.