PDA

View Full Version : Turkiye part 2, Istanbul

shinomaster
02-13-2005, 08:37 PM
No not Constantinople any more. Unless you are really an old school dude..
I came here with my big brother on a two day side trip. We took a Varan bus from Ankara.
Let me tell you about a Turkish bus. It is a huge tour bus similar to our Greyhound service but with way more style. In Turkey all sorts of people ride the bus, not just white trash or poor people like in the states. They are a comfy luxury ride. On my bus we had two stewards who brought us tea or coffee, lemon cologne for your hands and water. Then a snack. In the morning we were served a yummy breakfast of fresh, crusty bread, jam butter, olives, cheese and tea or coffee. It was way better than the food on my US Air flight! If you are ever in Turkey take a Varan bus!!
Istanbul is a huge city of about 10 million I believe. The best part for me was staying three minutes away from the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofya. Turkish Ottoman mosques are stunningly beautiful works of architecture. :banana:
Aya Sofya is a 6th centure Byzantine church covered by a wonderous immense dome, which many consider to be the most impressive feat of Roman architecture. (Byzantines were eastern Romans) When the Turks captured Constantinople in 1453 they turned Aya Sofya in to a mosque and built minarets around it. The beautiful gold mosaics which had been coverd by the Turks are now restored and able to be seen in partial glory..
More fun was had at the Topkopi Palace of the Sultans where the most beautiful parts were covered by Iznik tiles, Shopping in the Covered Baazar, and just being a pig stuffing myself with turkish food...oink oink...
I just gotta say I love the Germans! They have the best airline food! The Munich airport is beautiful and so clean you could eat off the floor. Never have I had such excellent beer in an airport...
I can't wait to go back...
Thank's for enduring this post!

xxoo shino Turk

P.S. One last thing. I was a tiny bit concerned about going to Turkey being American and all, and also because Turkey does border Iraq. It's true that Eastern Turkey has it's problems but where I was in the west was as safe and anywhere I have ever travelled. The people were so genuinly friendly and seemed to have no problems with Americans, except for the fact that our little WAR has disrupted tourism. I would not hesitate to travel to Turkey again or recommend a friend do the same. Most people were happy to find out I was American and were more than happy to chat. Not all Moslems are "evil doers".. or hate Americans or want to fly our planes into skyscrapers.

H.Frank Beshear
02-13-2005, 08:47 PM
:beer: Thanks Frank

shinomaster
02-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks man!! Glad you approve!! :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
02-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Very nice photos--and I am so happy that you managed to see all of THESE buildings and artworks without chiselling any pieces off of them! :rolleyes:

<<On my bus we had two stewards who brought us tea or coffee, lemon cologne for your hands and water.>>

Could we arrange to have Sandy and Kevan do this at Owner’s Weekend? :beer:

BBDave

Birddog
02-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Did you buy a puzzle ring? 4 bands or 8?

Birddog

shinomaster
02-13-2005, 11:20 PM
No ring for me...I can't figure out who to date let alone marry!!

Smiley
02-14-2005, 06:51 AM
Shino , were you born in Turkey or are you a first generation american ? This egyptian wants to know . Looks a bit like Cairo but the mosques are fabulous . Great shots and wonderful stories . keep them comming .
On a side note I can't believe that nobody there tried to fix you up .

shinomaster
02-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Captain!

My mom, the little immigrant in the picture with the peppers, was born in Turkey. My dad was in the Peace Corps in the late 60's and she was his english student...He brought her home as his trophy prize from Turkey. Ha ha ha...so thankfully I'm only half Turkish!

Smiley
02-14-2005, 12:20 PM
so where does Son of Osman come from ?

shinomaster
02-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Osman was the leader of a tribe of Turks who became the Ottomans. It was this tribe that united the rest of the Turks (or conquered) and defeated the Byzantines and took over much of the Middle East and north Africa and parts of Europe.

flydhest
02-14-2005, 12:35 PM
So it's not Donnie and Marie??? :(

shinomaster
02-14-2005, 12:40 PM
hmmm..maybe??? Who are they Fly???

cookieguy
02-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Wow this really brings back memories from when my family was stationed in Anakara (I was in grade school).

-- See Ephesus when we were 4 of maybe 20 people in the entire ruins...clearing the dirt off the mosaic in front of the library
-- The Blue Mosque
-- Topaki palace complete with a caliphs blood on the Koran
-- The open air markets
-- King midas's tomb
-- Salt flats in the middle of nowhere
-- The black sea being ice cold and rocky
-- A beach on the sea of Marmara that has permanently a standard for me that has yet to be exceeded

Strange what you remember after 30 years...

flydhest
02-15-2005, 11:00 AM
hmmm..maybe??? Who are they Fly???

bad joke. I meant Donnie and Marie Osmond.