PDA

View Full Version : Favorite online shops?

rw229
10-09-2009, 02:54 PM
So other than your friendly LBS, Performance and Nasbar, where is your favorite place to buy bike stuff online? Best prices and service on parts, tools, clothes etc.

xjoex
10-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I have been very happy with:
Speedgoat
Excel
Biketiresdirect.com

-Joe

Bytesiz
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
www.probikekit.com (http://www.probikekit.com)

PBWrench
10-09-2009, 03:35 PM
CompetetitiveCyclist
Excelsports
ColoradoCyclist
Glorybike
Rivendell (cool stuff)
VeloOrange (retro)
Cyclefixx
Chicagoland (for occasional Assos sale)
Svelte ( Cross Corridor Cultivation)

Somewhat sad and incriminatory that this list springs from my fingertips so quickly. . .

Likes2ridefar
10-09-2009, 03:47 PM
bonktown.com and related sites - has owned and boned my wallet on too many occasions for items I generally had no intentions of purchasing

aebike.com - usually the lowest prices I can find in the USA for many items

chainreactioncycles.com, pro bike kit, wiggle - fast shipping from the UK, great prices for certain things

speedgoat.com - my go to for mtb stuff

jensonusa - my 2nd go to for mtb stuff

excelsports.com - fast shipping, not always the cheapest, but very reliable and have a great stock of parts

coloradocyclist.com - same as excel sports, have nice closeouts on stuff some times.

malcolm
10-09-2009, 03:54 PM
For components in the usa I like licktons, you have to call though.
I've had good luck with excel, bike tires direct and universal cycles.

rustychisel
10-09-2009, 03:59 PM
speedgoat

biketiresdirect

wiggle

WeakRider
10-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Ben's Cycles

Tree Fort Bikes

Pro Bike Kit

Wiggle

Universal Cycles

Velo Orange

Chain Reaction Cycles

Ozz
10-09-2009, 04:15 PM
probikekit
worldclasscycles
bicyclinghub
coloradocyclist

also to lesser extent
excelsports
biketiresdirect

Ahneida Ride
10-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Peter White
Wall Bike
Velo Orange

in no particular order.

Jeff N.
10-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Cambria Bicycle Outfitters (cambriabike.com)
Universal Cycles (universalcycles.com) Jeff N.

BumbleBeeDave
10-09-2009, 05:11 PM
. . . with Probikekit. Great prices on consumables like tires, etc., and they usually have free shipping. I got on their mailing list and almost always end up seeing tires, etc., that I can pick up cheap.

BBD

Russity
10-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah, and I've heard that all these places do really good quotes on servicing your bike and fitting the "(brand new) chain and cassette I had lying around".

Also, if you send them a pic of your cracked wheel rim, they really go into bat for you as far a warranty and looking after you go. Hey, they might even lend you a spare wheel they have lying around for the weekend, just so you can go ride!

Come on guys....support your LBS. When you've put them out of business because you wanted to save $10, who's going to help you out? Not PBK that's for sure.

I understand the saving money thing, I really do, but take a look at what your LBS does for local cycling scene and see if any of the onliners do the same.

Just saying.....I await the backlash/alternative point of view.

Louis
10-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I've ordered from more than I care to admit. I don't buy too much here: AE Bike (http://aebike.com/parts-accessories-catalog-qc30/) but I love to use the online catalog because (a) they have an incredible inventory, and (b) the catalog is one of the most complete / user-friendly I've found around.

Louis

Likes2ridefar
10-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, and I've heard that all these places do really good quotes on servicing your bike and fitting the "(brand new) chain and cassette I had lying around".

Also, if you send them a pic of your cracked wheel rim, they really go into bat for you as far a warranty and looking after you go. Hey, they might even lend you a spare wheel they have lying around for the weekend, just so you can go ride!

Come on guys....support your LBS. When you've put them out of business because you wanted to save $10, who's going to help you out? Not PBK that's for sure.

I understand the saving money thing, I really do, but take a look at what your LBS does for local cycling scene and see if any of the onliners do the same.

I was waiting for this post! :beer:

1centaur
10-09-2009, 06:00 PM

You don't have to await it, you can search it and find 5 threads that give all points of view.

To summarize: some people share your view, some don't. That won't change. Some LBSs are smart shoppers and some are not. Some LBSs are big orderers and some are not. Some LBSs give price breaks for good customers and racers/clubs and some don't. NO LBS can compete on price and selection with the Net. No Net presence can service your bike. Seems like LBSs should charge more to service the bike then, but they can't because they'll be undercut by shops that sell some stuff.

Bottom line: To survive, an LBS must be a smart shopper (right selection, right discounts), treat its best customers well, have good service, and thereby enable itself to get bigger and thus have higher margins. The LBS must accept and understand the Net's sales graciously and not beg for business - if you have to beg for business you will fail. You may fail regardless, but the shops I see succeed ALL have the above characteristics.

Now can we get back to online shops?

riceburner
10-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Incredible return policy at backcountry.com/backcountryoutlet.com and related sites...

SoCalSteve
10-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Incredible return policy at backcountry.com/backcountryoutlet.com and related sites...

They are an amazing company!

Check them out.

Seriously.

Steve

pdmtong
10-09-2009, 07:51 PM

not any more. only backcountry.com is lifetime return. everything else is 30 day now. policy changed june 26. read the fine print.

Russity
10-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Now can we get back to online shops?[/QUOTE]

Anyone know any online churches I can hook up to. Body of christ is getting waaaaay to expensive at my local church.... I was hoping to be able to buy one confession and get one free?

I'm going straight to hell for this one....Oh that's right, no such place!

BengeBoy
10-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I shop at *too* many of the online shops listed above.*

Some others:

REI.com, esp. their outlet section for apparel
SJS Cycles in the UK (touring stuff)
Branford Bike

*I also am a more-than-adequate customer of several excellent LBS's.

Louis
10-09-2009, 09:32 PM
I await the backlash/alternative point of view.

Alternate point of view is that not everyone is good at everything they do:

I use my LBS for things where they add value with what they do well (fits, wheelbuilding, in other words, local labor)

I use mail order for things where they add value with what they do well (low prices on mass-market stuff)

I use this forum Classifieds where it adds value with what it does well (good deals from usually honest folks on used or previously owned stuff)

Louis

Kirk007
10-09-2009, 09:34 PM
LBS vs local (slight variance on this theme): I've had great luck with Wiggle on parts that I've had a hard time finding in the U.S. Example: Hope built wheels. And perhaps here is why: I wanted an extra rotor for some hope wheels. I call the U.S. distributor to see where to get one (since I haven't been able to find them locally and most of the LBSs around here don't like (or will take forever to ) order single, obscure parts); the distributor, before hanging up on me, tells me that he could sell it to me, but he doesn't want me as a customer, and won't sell me the rotor, because I originally bought the wheels from Wiggle (mind you the distributor does not advertise that it sells retail and its link to dealers on its website is broken).

With customer service like that, why should I bother doing any other than ordering on-line from Wiggle with its free shipping and rapid delivery. Some folks just have no concept of customer service.

Russity
10-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Alternate point of view is that not everyone is good at everything they do:

I use my LBS for things where they add value with what they do well (fits, wheelbuilding, in other words, local labor)

I use mail order for things where they add value with what they do well (low prices on mass-market stuff)

I use this forum Classifieds where it adds value with what it does well (good deals from usually honest folks on used or previously owned stuff)

Louis

Very Fair.

happycampyer
10-09-2009, 09:47 PM

Anyone know any online churches I can hook up to. Body of christ is getting waaaaay to expensive at my local church.... I was hoping to be able to buy one confession and get one free?

I'm going straight to hell for this one....Oh that's right, no such place!Absolution 60% off on bonktown NOW. :)

maunahaole
10-09-2009, 09:55 PM

I'm going straight to hell for this one....Oh that's right, no such place!

http://www.themonastery.org/

get your ass ordained.

doesn't cost anything.

Ahneida Ride
10-09-2009, 10:39 PM

I do ... 90% from my LBS Mtn Cyclo (Ludow Vt.)

I use the online stores to secure the more esoteric parts my
LBS can't acquire.

My LBS guru drove in to the shop (at dinner time) to install a
TA crank and Phil BB that I purchase from Peter White.
Try getting that service elsewhere ! :D

JD Smith
10-09-2009, 10:39 PM

I'm going straight to hell for this one....Oh that's right, no such place![/QUOTE]

Over the years, I've collected enough ritual tools to do all my own sacraments.
There's nothing quite as satisifying as performing your own abjuration.
I have a Campy cross I've been using since 1972, an Assos maniple, and a Hozan therible that fits my hand like a glove.
I turned my garage into my own personal Castle Gandolfo.

happycampyer
10-09-2009, 10:53 PM
I have a Campy cross I've been using since 1972A Serotta X-Y Tool works in a pinch.

Pete Serotta
10-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Three shops that I consider among the best I have even been in do exactly this. PETE

You don't have to await it, you can search it and find 5 threads that give all points of view.

To summarize: some people share your view, some don't. That won't change. Some LBSs are smart shoppers and some are not. Some LBSs are big orderers and some are not. Some LBSs give price breaks for good customers and racers/clubs and some don't. NO LBS can compete on price and selection with the Net. No Net presence can service your bike. Seems like LBSs should charge more to service the bike then, but they can't because they'll be undercut by shops that sell some stuff.

Bottom line: To survive, an LBS must be a smart shopper (right selection, right discounts), treat its best customers well, have good service, and thereby enable itself to get bigger and thus have higher margins. The LBS must accept and understand the Net's sales graciously and not beg for business - if you have to beg for business you will fail. You may fail regardless, but the shops I see succeed ALL have the above characteristics.

Pete Serotta
10-10-2009, 08:16 AM
Yep when are you coming down to install my tape? :crap:

I do ... 90% from my LBS Mtn Cyclo (Ludow Vt.)

I use the online stores to secure the more esoteric parts my
LBS can't acquire.

My LBS guru drove in to the shop (at dinner time) to install a
TA crank and Phil BB that I purchase from Peter White.
Try getting that service elsewhere ! :D

malcolm
10-10-2009, 09:19 AM

My local shops just don't have the stuff I want and if you order it it takes forever and they usually charge inflated shipping. I don't really need them, I know what I fit, I build em myself. I do use a local shop for kids bikes, I've bought three in the past 3 or 4 years and small parts that they stock and I bought my wifes first bike from them. I really like the guy that runs it and steer many first times to him for bikes/fits. I'm not in a huge cycling mecca and the shops here are mostly specialized or whatever stores and that just isn't my cup of tea. I'm fairly self sufficient and just don't need em simple as that.

Ozz
10-10-2009, 09:31 AM
...Come on guys....support your LBS. ....
I want to support my LBS, I really do. But I have yet to find one that "cares" enough to do a good job.

Earlier this summer I took my Legend in for a tune up & new brake pads.

Got charged $150 for the tune and $50 for the pads (swiss stop yellow). I was good with it...supporting LBS and all that.

First ride out, drivetrain was all noisy and annoying. So, I dug out a 10 year old copy of Bicycling magazine (Maintenance issue) and found the section on adjusting the rear derailleur so I could do it myself. Less than 10 minutes later the drivetrain was silent. Frankly, that was the first time I ever touched the RD...didn't want to muck up the adjustments the "pros" made and all that.

So, when the LBS starts adding value to the transaction....I will feel more obliged to support them.

There is a new shop out in Issaquah I will try next.... :beer:

Climb01742
10-10-2009, 10:34 AM
online and brick+mortar aren't mutually exclusive. i support both, much to my wife's chagrin.

as far as online, i've always been treated beyond well by brendan @ cc.com. that has earned my loyalty.

BengeBoy
10-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Been there. Definitely worth trying if you have a high-end road bike.

My cousin was in town recently, wanted to go for a ride, and I told her to try them for a rental - they rented her a *beautiful* brand new Moots Vamoots for the weekend for a very reasonable price. They had the bike nicely set up, tuned and adjusted for her.

On the other hand, if you're shopping for something pedestrian (e.g., a commuter bike) they're snobbish and indifferent.

Source: my experience. 10+ visits.

rw229
10-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Wow, I had no idea there were so many online options!

To those who take exception to the concept of buying online, please re-read my original post. I may not have stated it clearly, but "other than your friendly LBS" is my way of saying I support my LBS when I can. BUT, there are times when it's not possible. (for whatever reason)

TAW
10-10-2009, 01:17 PM
But I have yet to find one that "cares" enough to do a good job.

Earlier this summer I took my Legend in for a tune up & new brake pads.

Got charged $150 for the tune and $50 for the pads (swiss stop yellow). I was good with it...supporting LBS and all that.

First ride out, drivetrain was all noisy and annoying. So, I dug out a 10 year old copy of Bicycling magazine (Maintenance issue) and found the section on adjusting the rear derailleur so I could do it myself. Less than 10 minutes later the drivetrain was silent. Frankly, that was the first time I ever touched the RD...didn't want to muck up the adjustments the "pros" made and all that.

That seems very expensive for a tune. The shop I work at charges $75 for the most extensive wash and tune. I may point out, though, that sometimes a tune needs some adjustments particularly if new cables are installed.

Pete Serotta
10-10-2009, 02:06 PM
In North East

Cyclesport
Fitwerx
Signature Cycles

:D :D

jlwdm
10-10-2009, 03:40 PM
I want to support my LBS, I really do. But I have yet to find one that "cares" enough to do a good job.

If you are talking Veloce Velo, I have found them to be a great LBS.

I stopped in there once in the summer of 2008 and was very impressed with the stock and brands they carried.

This summer I took my CSI to Bellevue (near Issaquah border) and went to Veloce Velo quite a few times as I needed lots of things for the bike in a different location. Had great service and great repair service. They also were helpful in ordering a few things for me. I really felt like they cared. I asked to talk to the person in charge so I could tell them about all of the great service.

Jeff

whforrest
10-10-2009, 11:28 PM
I've had mixed experiences with local bike shops up here in nor cal. I remember when I paid full retail for my Legend the bike shop owner was pissed that I asked him to build my bike in a quick time. He also scratched the paint on my new stem. A few weeks later another guy chipped my clear coat. Pretty sloppy. They are better at selling Treks and Specialized to moderate fans of the sport.

Honestly they don't even carry most of the parts that I'm interested in. I don't care for the snobby attitudes.
After thousands spent if I order a headset they charge $40 bucks to install. I call around and find a guy who will do it for free at Sloughs in San Jose. This guy is the type who will earn my long term trust.

Happy cycling, bill

rugbysecondrow
10-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Just like any other brick and mortor store that competes with online stores, the competitive advantage a LBS has is customer service. When a LBS lacks in that area, how sympathetic should I be to their plight? Harris Cyclery and Peter White (to name a few) are two shops that seem to be the online equivilant of a LBS...an added dimension since they have price, customer service and inventory.

I try to support all local businesses, but the support is not unwaivering nor is it blind. Am I supposed to act like I have never looked at prices online when I walk into a store or shop? If there is value added in buying it there or if the prices are comperable then I will shop there, but it isn't charity and any business that opts to stay in business shouldn't expect it.

riceburner
10-11-2009, 07:50 AM
not any more. only backcountry.com is lifetime return. everything else is 30 day now. policy changed june 26. read the fine print.

Backcountryoutlet.com is still listing lifetime return. Bonktown and RealCyclist are 30 day now......

Ozz
10-11-2009, 08:25 AM
That seems very expensive for a tune. The shop I work at charges $75 for the most extensive wash and tune. I may point out, though, that sometimes a tune needs some adjustments particularly if new cables are installed.
It included a new chain, but no new cables.....so, with expensive brake pads, and a $60 chain, the tune itself was about $75 or so.

If you are talking Veloce Velo, I have found them to be a great LBS....Jeff
That's the one...they were running some ads during the TdF this year so I wanted to check them out. Stopped by and liked the look of the shop and talked with one of the sales guys for awhile.

Glad to hear a couple good recs for them.

Thanks.

Elefantino
10-11-2009, 11:24 AM
I have a Bonktown add-on for Firefox that pops up in a little window at the bottom each time the item changes. It's on my work computer. Very distracting and tempting.

Pro ... Bike ... Kit ... rules.

Lickton's has good customer service

$150, or $75, for a tune-up? Jeez. Glad I wrench.

Louis
10-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Lickton's has good customer service

As long as you don't let Bob's "cheerful" personality turn you off...

54ny77
10-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I'll add that if you need a wickedly obscure part, Lickton's positively rocks.

I personally like an LBS that also has an online presence. Best of both worlds. If the online part supplements the brick & mortar part, and enables them to survive & thrive, more power to 'em.

old_school
10-11-2009, 02:02 PM
For your 1x1 needs: businesscycles.com
... a Miami based shop with a web presence
Technical questions? John is a plethora of knowledge.

SoCalSteve
10-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Backcountryoutlet.com is still listing lifetime return. Bonktown and RealCyclist are 30 day now......

Dont believe it...

I have purchased items from RealCyclist and had issues. They accepted returns after the 30 days were up, no questions asked...

Just sayin'

Steve

veloduffer
10-12-2009, 07:12 AM
I'll add that if you need a wickedly obscure part, Lickton's positively rocks.

I personally like an LBS that also has an online presence. Best of both worlds. If the online part supplements the brick & mortar part, and enables them to survive & thrive, more power to 'em.

+1 on Licktons. I also find that they have some of the best prices. http://www.lickbike.com

I support my LBS as much as I can but they are a small shop, so there isn't a lot of variety on accessories or clothes.

I also like Excel Sports, which I used when I lived in an area that lacked a good LBS - they have more small parts than most and some very good closeout deals. Their hand-built wheels are also good -I've bought 4 pairs in the past and never had a problem with them.

r_mutt
10-12-2009, 01:05 PM
how does one support the LBS when a few select on-line shops have prices for parts that are 30-40% cheaper?

i'd love to support my LBS, but i'm not made of money. if the prices are close, i would buy from the LBS for sure. for my "small purchases" i'll do the LBS, but for a big expense, it's hard for the LBS to compete price-wise.