PDA

View Full Version : 31.8mm bars/stem on '93 Colorado Legend?

RussellD
10-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi.
I am a new member of the Serotta fraternity.
My name is Russell Dawkins, and I live in Victoria B.C. I am 65, and have done little riding since I engaged in light racing and time trialing as a 15 years old. In terms of quality road bikes, the hiatus has been that long, although I have had a few low grade bikes in the interim.
Recently, in the process of looking for a road bike for my son, I received the siren call from this beautiful older Serotta Colorado Legend CRL, which seemed to be my size. I was smitten at first sight and ride and bought it. I have never loved a bike as much as this, (and I had a beautiful bike back in the day - a Schroeder (Dutch)).
As an historic aside, my first good bike had laminated bamboo rims with tubulars and piano steel spokes, extremely double butted, that would sing like an Aolian harp in the wind while I was riding.

I bought the Serotta without bars and stem because I didn't like the look of them and they didn't fit me.
The question is do you think the 31.8 mm equipment (bars and stems) looks too modern for this particular bike, or should I stay with the quill type stem and 26mm handlebars in the interest of avoiding anachronism or keeping an authentic look.
The bars I would like to get are the 3T Ergonova Pro:
http://www.thenew3t.com/details.aspx?i=road&t=Dropbars&p=ergonova&d=PRO
and the stem would be the 80mm iteration of the ±17º version of the 3T ARX Team stem:
http://www.thenew3t.com/details.aspx?i=road&t=Stems&p=arx&d=TEAM
I have a quill/threadless adapter.
The bike has Rolf Vector Pro wheels, so I think I might be able to get away with the more contemporary look of this 31.8mm stuff, but I really don't want to spoil the lines of this gorgeous machine.
Here is the bike with two tries at this; the first with a track bar and 26mm threadless stem (the drop and reach were too far for comfort for me), the second with a Nitto Technomic stem and Nitto Randonneur bars which are much too narrow and the drop and reach are still too far. The cables will be trimmed and the bar taped when final choices have been made.
For me, part of the appeal of this bike is in its appearance and I don't want to mess it up! Another couple of details involve the stem and the saddle. I think the yellow Selle Italia is a bit over the top, and I might replace it with a red Selle Italia I have my eye on or even a black one. In either case I might use the black Thompson Elite post I have to replace the aluminum Thompson Elite on the bike. I think it might look a little better, especially if I go with the aforementioned 3T stem and bars.

By the way, I am a normally proportioned 6'0" and the bike measures 57cm from center to center BB and top tube and also 57cm cc seat tube to steer tube (top tube length).
The first two images with the anodized track bars were taken on the day I bought it. The last image shows the Nitto Technomic stem and the Nitto Randonneur bar (and the decals removed from the rims).

rwsaunders
10-08-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't know that there are any bars out there with a shape/drop/reach like the Ergonova's that aren't 31.8.

Keith A
10-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Looks like your attachments didn't work -- let me know if you need any help figuring this out.

As for handlebar options, you should check out Deda, Ritchey and Oval Concepts (there may be others too). All of these manufactures still make handlebars with 26.0 clamp diameter. They may not have a bar exactly like the 3T product you are looking at, but offer something similar.

Unfortunately, the 31.7(8) stuff is taking over and there are fewer products being offered in the 26.0 clamp size. I'm fortunate to have a few bikes in my stable and some have the newer clamp size and the aesthetics of the larger size doesn't bother me. If you were going for a period correct build, then I would say stick with a quill stem and a 26.0 handlebar -- but it doesn't sound like you are going this route, so I'd say go with the bars you want and just ride it!

RussellD
10-09-2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the replies, rwsaunders and Keith A.
I figured out that the images don't show until the post is up, it seems.

Anyway, now that you can see the bike, my feeling is that maybe the wheels - Rolf Vector Pros - are sufficiently new-tech-looking as to already make the bike non period-correct and allow the more contemporary looking bars and stem I have in mind. I don't really know when these wheels were first sold. I presume they didn't come with the bike, but perhaps I'm wrong.
This bike looks like such a modern classic to me that I want to be careful not to bastardize it, nor commit any sort of sacrilege.

thwart
10-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Certainly a beautiful bike, in the classic Serotta livery.

I would let comfort be your guide here, rather than appearance. You want bars that allow you to ride often, and for long distances! :beer: