PDA

View Full Version : So, is this frame shot?

PaulE
02-13-2005, 05:46 PM
This morning my buddy shows up for our weekly ride. He cleaned his bike because he couldn't stand the winter crud buildup any longer. While cleaning it, he noticed a small crack in the headtube, about a half inch long, starting where the bottom cup of the headset is pressed into the headtube. The crack is running lengthwise in the headtube, perpendicular to the headset cup. It's an aluminum frame, about five years old, and he had his shop put in a new headset this past summer.

I told him I didn't like the looks of it, and the frame was probably toast. I also told him it either happened from metal fatigue, or perhaps the headtube got gouged when the headset was changed and the gouge created a stress point which developed into the crack. He's marked the top of the crack with a pencil so we can see if it grows.

Is the frame shot? One thought we both had was to wrap an automotive hose clamp around the outside of the headtube, over the crack. Not elegant, but perhaps it would work. His wife is going to think he is angling for a new bike, but I think this frame is shot. Am I being over-cautious here?

slowgoing
02-13-2005, 05:50 PM
it's shot

WickedWheels
02-13-2005, 05:52 PM
The frame is all done.

What kind of a frame is it, by the way? Obviously not an integrated headset. What kind of a headset? Where is the crack? As you're looking at the front of the bike from the saddle, is it at 12 o'clock? 9 o'clock? etc.

Depending on the frame there is a VERY slight chance you can get a little more life out of it. Chris King makes a downhill headset that has very long, deep cups. On a cheaper aluminum frame that doesn't have a butted head tube that may work. But then again, the headset would probably cost more than that caliber of a frame.

Serotta PETE
02-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Frame is all done... If it was metal you might send to a repair facility, If it is a Cannondale, it might have a cheap replacement policy that you can use. (A friend of mine had his replaced in this manner,

It is time to stop riding it for your own safety and the group you ride with,

PaulE
02-13-2005, 07:09 PM
The frame is a CIOCC and the crack is at 9 o'clock (left side of headtube). I think the headset is a Cane Creek. I thought it was shot, but wanted to get some more opinions. Thanks.

David Kirk
02-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Frame is toast with a big "T".

Dave

Jeff N.
02-13-2005, 08:23 PM
It'll make good "yard art". Jeff N.

vandeda
02-13-2005, 08:31 PM
i have no clue what CIOCC's warranty policy is, but why not see if they'll warranty it? I have a friend who had his Gary Fischer, one who had is Specialized, and another friend his Marin all warrantied within the past couple years. Never hurts to try ....

Dan

Peter
02-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Yet another vote for "the frame is shot". The idea about the headset install being the contributor to the headtube failure is a long reach if you're looking to get the bike shop to cover part of the cost.

As for the hoseclamp band-aid, it could keep things from getting out of hand and keep the Ciocc usable while waiting for the new frame, but you should check it after every ride.

I had a frame crack around the top tube right behind the top tube cable guide. I put a hose clamp around the tube and continued to ride that bike DAILY for 6 weeks while waiting for delivery of a new frame. The crack did get longer by about 50%, but the frame and clamp held. It was a steel frame; I'm told cracks tend to propagate faster in aluminum frames.

Kevan
02-13-2005, 09:31 PM
can do wheelies!!! :D

jerk
02-13-2005, 10:03 PM
just paint over the crack. or pretend you never saw it.

jerk

(joke)

David Kirk
02-13-2005, 10:31 PM
As I was once told by a man much wiser than I.............."don't ride it....you'll be spit'n out your teeth like chicklets''.

In all seriousness.........IF the bike needs to be used the hose clamp won't help and neither will the deep headset. The crack will just continue to propogate. It will need to be welded. If it's welded then it will need to be re-heat treated. At that point it won't be straight anymore so it will need to be cold set.........do you see the trend here?

The rider should count themselves as luck that they still have their teeth and call it a day.

I think it would make for a nice lamp. Sorry.

Dave

Kevin
02-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Maybe Kevan can give it to Sandy.

Kevin

PaulE
02-14-2005, 08:13 AM
I'll do my best to keep him off the bike. Like I said, I thought the frame was toast, just wanted confirmation. One of the options my friend will explore is a warranty claim, although he's had it for 5 years. I wasn't sure about the headset install being a contributor, but thought I'd ask.

Dave K, funny comment about the chicklets, as this guy is a dentist by profession!

Climb01742
02-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Dave K, funny comment about the chicklets, as this guy is a dentist by profession!

might be tough to be a dentist on yourself...open a little wider...wider...

Birddog
02-14-2005, 08:34 AM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the universal all-time best fixer/fixer upper: DUCT TAPE!! Take a several wraps around the headtube and he should be good to go for another month or two. Don't use the cheap stuff. For added insurance try a layer of strapping tape, the filaments will add strength. That'll get your buddy down the road until he can schedule in a couple extra patients and some exorbitant markup on some dental appliance provided by the local lab. OK dentists, fire away, I'm big enough to take it.

Birddog

Too Tall
02-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Dave, also don't climb a ladder with nails in your mouth!

OK now this fellow is squared away BUT what would a redneck do hmmm?

Git r' done:

Yah drill holz inaaa top n bahtm of the crack. Now you pry it wider with a skrewdriver and slop JBweld inair. Wrap th hole thing with duk tape. Boy, she'll be RIGHT.