PDA

View Full Version : Ultegra 6700

bkboom123
10-07-2009, 10:58 PM
So I went to the LBS today in 'toga and they finally had some bikes built up with the DA 7900 and Ultegra 6700 bits, though no DA shifters yet (just RD, Brakes, Crank)

I took a quick look at a Madone built up with the new 6700 shifters and upon first look, feel, and function they seem to be flimsy or cheap. It may just be the long "throw" to shift, in comparison to SRAM, but they do seem cheap to me....Is anyone riding the new 6700 yet? What are your thoughts? Any issues so far?

dave thompson
10-07-2009, 11:11 PM
I switched from 7880 DA to 6700 and really like the change. Better ergonomics, easier and smoother shifting, not at all cheap or flimsy feeling; different.

I wrote some observations on the 6700 components here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=63990&highlight=rode+report

soulspinner
10-08-2009, 05:57 AM
Saw an Orbea with 6700 on it at a local shop. They let me play with that, Chorus 11, and Sram Red on other bikes. Man all 3 are good and I used to dislike 7800 for its bulbousness but I think the new stuff is really nice. Aesthetically I like Shimano the best, but I think the new Campy hood is the most comfy 4 my hands.

Jeff N.
10-08-2009, 08:31 AM
My CSi is getting 6700 soon. I've got 7900 on 3 of my other bikes and love it ta death. Jeff N.

RPS
10-08-2009, 09:17 AM
I switched from 7880 DA to 6700 and really like the change. Better ergonomics, easier and smoother shifting, .........snipped....
My CSi is getting 6700 soon. I've got 7900 on 3 of my other bikes and love it ta death. Jeff N.
Is the 6700 shifting throw noticeably longer than previous Ultegra and DA? If so, is it both up and down?
Don’t know if the OP was comparing only to SRAM, or if there is also a difference to previous Shimano shifters. :confused:
I'm curious because I'd expect a longer throw would normally mean less required force everything else being equal.

dave thompson
10-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Is the 6700 shifting throw noticeably longer than previous Ultegra and DA? If so, is it both up and down?
Don’t know if the OP was comparing only to SRAM, or if there is also a difference to previous Shimano shifters. :confused:
I'm curious because I'd expect a longer throw would normally mean less required force everything else being equal.
I haven't noticed longer throws in the shifting. I think the relative ease in the shifting effort comes from the revised mechanism rather than a longer throw.

Pete Serotta
10-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I was reading in one of the mags about the 6700 and they really liked it. Only one person I know has it, and they like it LOTS in comparison to the old 6600.

I will probably put it on my S&S bike this winter prior to going to SOLVANG in March

bkboom123
10-09-2009, 08:24 AM
I was juts comparing them to the SRAM components in regards to the throw...

I started on Ultegra 6600 then moved to DA 7800 and am now on Sram Red. I realize the 6600 and 7800 are going to feel more solid because of the Aluminum brake/shift blade, which in turn made them very heavy. Even when comparing it to the Red shifters, the new 6700 shifters just felt a bit flimsy to me. I am just interested on seeing how long these will last. Shimano was known for being "bomb proof" and it will be interesting to see if it holds true with the newer carbon breed of shifters. :bike:

nahtnoj
10-09-2009, 08:29 AM
There is a discussion going on "across the hall" right now about 7900 producing, mushy, lackluster shifts. Seems driven by two factors:

1. Mechanism not precise enough to handle additional friction due to internal cable routing if the cables are not perfectly clean.
2. Weak RD return spring.

Pete Serotta
10-09-2009, 01:22 PM
and TLC in installing/routing... the extra friction on non SHIMANO cables or poor routing can cause mush feeling

There is a discussion going on "across the hall" right now about 7900 producing, mushy, lackluster shifts. Seems driven by two factors:

1. Mechanism not precise enough to handle additional friction due to internal cable routing if the cables are not perfectly clean.
2. Weak RD return spring.