PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edge Located a position

rugbysecondrow
10-07-2009, 02:51 PM
I am having problems with a Garmin 305 Edge I just purchased. It has trouble locating my position initially and takes about 15-20 minutes to lock in. I am not certain if it is the unit or if there are software updates needed...anybody have any insight into this? This is my 2nd 305, and the other one worked great, even picked up my location almost immediatly in my house.

I thought I would check here before I call Garmin.

As always, thanks,

Paul

gomez308
10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
When you start up a GPS in an unexpected location it will take a while to find itself. My 305 takes just a minute or so to get locked in. Try the Garmin Webupdater and see if there are any updates for your unit.

hokoman
10-07-2009, 03:39 PM
my forerunner 305 (yes, the running one) takes forever to find a location sometimes... even if it's the same place i run all the time... typically, have a hard time when it's overcast. sometimes, i just shut it off for a second, and then turn it back on and it locks in quicker.

my 705 - that thing is lightning quick compared to my forerunner.... never takes more than a minute.

Ray
10-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I have a 605 and used to use a 205. The newer ones (605 and 705) are way quicker, but the 205/305 weren't THAT slow. Could take a couple of minutes, maybe 3-4, but nothing close to 15-20. I'd call Garmin.

-Ray

Ken Robb
10-07-2009, 06:16 PM
sometimes satellites are screened by trees and tall buildings which slows acquisition. This may get worse as several satellite are approaching and beyond their expected lives. No budget $$$ for new ones as yet.

SpeedyChix
10-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I've found it really varies day to day. Sometimes it's sub five minutes. Other days it seems to search for nearly 15.

rugbysecondrow
10-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I've found it really varies day to day. Sometimes it's sub five minutes. Other days it seems to search for nearly 15.

Thanks. My previous Garmin would connect very quickly, but this one not so much. I just updated the software so I will see if that works. If not, I will call Garmin tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help

Dekonick
10-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Does the 305 let you store known locations? The 705 does - but I don't even bother with that feature as it is fast enough for me. Less than a minute to aquire.

Say - ride tomorrow? Call if you are interested.

rugbysecondrow
10-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Does the 305 let you store known locations? The 705 does - but I don't even bother with that feature as it is fast enough for me. Less than a minute to aquire.

Say - ride tomorrow? Call if you are interested.

I would like to ride tomorrow. I have to work during the day, but could do a ride after 5:30. If that doesn't work, let me know and we can ride on Sat AM...maybe a longer version of the one we did the other day? I will shoot you a text since it is too late to call.

Thanks!

dogdriver
10-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I usu. turn on my 305 and hit the lower left button within 30 seconds and go ride. It hasn't finished the satellite acquisition process or located itself perfectly by then, but records the ride just fine. No idea how long it takes to go thru the initialization process, but for purposes of a bike ride, an exact initial position isn't very important...

On a different note, the battery only seems to be good for 4-6 hours (OK for two rides, usually flames out on ride three if I forget to charge it), not the 12 advertised. Anyone else notice this, or is my battery just getting old?

Cheers, Chris

Ray
10-08-2009, 05:49 AM
On a different note, the battery only seems to be good for 4-6 hours (OK for two rides, usually flames out on ride three if I forget to charge it), not the 12 advertised. Anyone else notice this, or is my battery just getting old?

The batteries on the 205/305 were pretty useless. I generally charged mine after every ride. A few hours was all they were good for. I did a tour with the 205 and wasn't even doing long days and had it run out of juice before reaching the destination twice. The 605-705 battery is orders of magnitude better. I don't know exactly how long it lasts, but I'll usually get a weeks worth of riding in on a charge unless I have a particularly big week.

-Ray

dogdriver
10-08-2009, 03:03 PM
The batteries on the 205/305 were pretty useless. I generally charged mine after every ride. A few hours was all they were good for. I did a tour with the 205 and wasn't even doing long days and had it run out of juice before reaching the destination twice. The 605-705 battery is orders of magnitude better. I don't know exactly how long it lasts, but I'll usually get a weeks worth of riding in on a charge unless I have a particularly big week.

-Ray

Thanks! Wow...WEEKS of battery-- I guess that I'll have to kitty up the $75.00 Garmin wants to install a new battery, if they'll stick in one of those...I looked on line for owner replacement, but everyone's methods sounded a little too much like surgery for my taste...

Wishing I'd have gone for the EE degree, Chris

Ray
10-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks! Wow...WEEKS of battery-- I guess that I'll have to kitty up the $75.00 Garmin wants to install a new battery, if they'll stick in one of those...I looked on line for owner replacement, but everyone's methods sounded a little too much like surgery for my taste...

Wishing I'd have gone for the EE degree, Chris
The 605/705 are a good deal larger units than the 205/305, so I wouldn't expect they use compatible batteries. It's worth a phone call, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

-Ray

Dekonick
10-08-2009, 06:46 PM
OK - it is easy to 'hack' any (almost any) electronic device with the help of Google. Google your device, find a high quality battery that will fit the space and has the proper output, solder in place - voila. I have done several battery upgrades on other devices - it is relatively painless anymore - the hard part is getting the cases open and closed again.

You do need proper tools...

:)

rugbysecondrow
10-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Follow up>

Garmin suggested a complete reset that will erase all user data, but will also eliminate anything corrupted that might have caused the problem. This worked and my unit is now working better.

For future reference you perform this reset by following these instructions from Garmin:

Doing a master reset will delete all user data, but will also delete any corrupt system information that may be causing the issue. To do a master reset, with the unit off, press 'mode' + 'power' for a few seconds. You'll be asked if you're sure you want to delete all user data, select yes.

Thanks for everyones help, I appreciate it