PDA

View Full Version : bike food sucks

jerk
02-13-2005, 11:45 AM
god the jerk is fat, slow tired and cold. 35 stupid miles in far too many minutes.... someone needs to buy the jerk some breakfast....anything not made by enervit would be fine....like eggs or toast or bread....the jerk might just be hallucinating right now but you know how some guys are really into vintage racing bikes? the jerk is going to become really into vintage bike racing diet. we picked on climb for fasting? pick on the jerk for eating a diet (at least on the bike) prescribed by the coni manual. jerk's going for boiled down coca-cola as an energy drink, little hard bread and motadella (not too heavily spiced) wrapped in wax paper and someother stupidm stuff. he's also goint to swear off water with gas and cold beverages of any type.

jerk

dirtdigger88
02-13-2005, 11:51 AM
mrs dirt made me scrambled eggs with mushrooms and onions and green peppers- then a side of waffels- a glass of OJ- cup o' coffee- with some strawberries and rasberries in a bowl on the side- I think she is trying to keep me happy because she is leaving for Jamacia in two days. . . oh yeah- jerk you are right bike food sucks-

Jason

wheelworks
02-13-2005, 12:17 PM
god the jerk is fat, slow tired and cold. 35 stupid miles in far too many minutes.... someone needs to buy the jerk some breakfast....anything not made by enervit would be fine....like eggs or toast or bread....the jerk might just be hallucinating right now but you know how some guys are really into vintage racing bikes? the jerk is going to become really into vintage bike racing diet. we picked on climb for fasting? pick on the jerk for eating a diet (at least on the bike) prescribed by the coni manual. jerk's going for boiled down coca-cola as an energy drink, little hard bread and motadella (not too heavily spiced) wrapped in wax paper and someother stupidm stuff. he's also goint to swear off water with gas and cold beverages of any type.

jerk

What no Belgium Cocktail for the ride!!!!!!! ah the good old days beer with everything on earth added!!!!!! plus

jerk
02-13-2005, 12:33 PM
mmmm....breakfast beer.
jerk

dsimon
02-13-2005, 06:52 PM
especially about enervit the orange crap states helps prevent cramps little that it does they also forget to warn you that it taste like sh$t im with jerk ill stick to my cytomax and a king size snickers bar. what did you want me to say some goo yuuck.

Bill Bove
02-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Fig Newtons, Hershey bars and good old Coca Cola have seen me through many a mile. If it works...

Ti Designs
02-13-2005, 07:15 PM
It's Mountain Dew and potato chips for me...

Bill Bove
02-13-2005, 07:52 PM
It's Mountain Dew and potato chips for me...
Caffiene, suger and salt. Toss a slice of pizza in there and you've got all four food groups represented!

Dr. Doofus
02-13-2005, 08:08 PM
leu van jerk --

during today's 5-hour bonk masquerading as a training ride (145 ugly, ugly km), your doofus was saved by a gas station stop which yielded 2 2-packs of Pop Tarts. Frosted Cinnamon and Frosted Strawberry. Sugar, noxious dyes and chemicals, sugar, brighty-colored sprinkles that your doofus was talking to as he looked at a Pop Tart for a while...solo rides can do that to you, sugar, and oh yeah sugar.

getting back home, the mound of risotto that was meant for a week's lunches by Mrs. Doofus was consumed. spoon, pot, doofus, kitchen floor, mmmmmmm.

Tom
02-13-2005, 08:18 PM
One day I had the day off and I wanted to ride and there wasn't any food in the house so I went grocery shopping and because I didn't have any time I bought a big ham and cheese grinder about a foot long and four inches in diameter and ate the entire thing with a quart of orange juice.

I had a great ride. Tons of energy the whole way. I was out from noon until about five thirty.

Matt Barkley
02-13-2005, 08:33 PM
My Personal Favorite: Procuitto and butter mini-sandwiches individually wrapped in aluminum foil - almost any bread will do. - Matt

csb
02-13-2005, 09:30 PM
dew

Too Tall
02-14-2005, 07:13 AM
Matt, just as millions of hippies can't be wrong about Birkenstock's so it goes with Parisians. The standard bike fare in Fr. is Jambon Pain: crusty bread, butter one side, ham, sliced pickles and an espresso onna side = not yucky bike food.

Climb01742
02-14-2005, 07:59 AM
chai tea from starbucks and yogurt peanut butter balance bars.

Kevan
02-14-2005, 10:16 AM
It's supposed to. That stuff goes with riding in super cold days, super hot days, or super wet days or maybe worse... seeing the wheel in front of you pull away...they all suck. But it's afterwards... when the endorphines kick in, the shower cleanses, the soft sweatshirt cradles, and the hot reuben with potato chips and root beer fulfills, that we claim the ride and everything we endured a success. :cool:

Russell
02-14-2005, 10:19 AM
mmmm....breakfast beer.
jerk

stout with a shot of espresso. the breakfast of champions, as well as little chocolate donuts. anyone remember the old SNL skit with Belushi training for the Olympics?

cookieguy
02-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (the orginal recipie off the quaker oat box). Not too crumbly and they don't freeze hard at any temp where it would be resonable to bicycle (even when frozen when nasty cold they crumble/melt enough in the mouth to be edible)

Yummmm

Kevan
02-15-2005, 07:03 AM
If you do those organized rides complete with food stops. look for those oatmeal cookies and have the folks slap some peanut butter between two of'm. You'll be riding like it was just the start of the ride. :)

RABikes2
02-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Bike food blows...ughhhh. :crap:

During my 200k on 1-1-05, I consumed 6 GU's, two Nature Valley granola bars (good), 5 bottles of Accelerade, and convenience store "stuff." Fast forward to the 300k on 2-5-05 and I managed to consume 9 GU's (ohhh, I'm gagging) and desperately needed real food, protein. It was a cold start and after the sun came up, I ate an Expresso Love GU (which are good when you don't have to eat so many) but because of the temperatures that a.m., it came out in a huge blob in my mouth...nope, it didn't squirt down, it was a hard blob. At 110 miles, our RBA had food! Oh yeah! :banana: Chicken salad sandwich and chips...should have eaten two sandwiches. At the last control, at approximately 160 miles, thank God, a convenience store with a Subway. :) Nothing like a 6" turkey sub w/ lettuce and tomato (keep it bland). Felt like I had new life put back in me. Please no :no: cookies, candy, sugar, "junk" food...long rides call for real food. After the ride (190 miles in a total time of 12:50), I was craving protein....immediately after changing clothes, head to Denny's next to the ride check-in, to consume eggs, steak, grits, toast, coffee, mmmmmmm. Four hours later, chicken salad sandwich (convenience store fare in the middle of the night while driving home), then two hours later, CRACKER BARREL!!! Again, eggs, bacon, hash browns, biscuits, walnut pancakes (I brought them home and ate them later), coffee. That night, London Broil on the grill...mmmmmmm. (I was "proteined" out for a few days after though.) :rolleyes:

So, after 21 years in this field, with the last three years doing the bike ultra's, and what am I (just) learning (duhhh)...BIKE FOOD BLOWS! Give me REAL food. I don't do a lot of food on the bike, but it beats the daylights out of anything on the over "6-8 GU rides". PB & J is gourmet food around 75 miles and up. Subway's are "Steak restaurants" (to me) around 140 miles and up.

I carry a Camelback on distance rides w/ H2o and two bottles of Accelerade on the bike. After approximately 6-8 bottles of Accelerade, even with my imagination which I have convinced myself, so that I am able to consume it, that it tastes like Key Lime Pie, the stuff sort of starts to get "stuck" in your throat. :no:

Oh yeah...I've got the Sebring 12/24 race this weekend...GU, Accelerade, and I'm taking a few pb&j's (flattened) in my bike shirt! :banana: :D

Too Tall
02-16-2005, 07:27 AM
RAB - Let us know how Sebring goes. I can't convince wife to do this and it's a looong drive. A couple locals will no doubt be there say hi to the Guth's for me. Pray for rain.

RABikes2
02-16-2005, 08:14 AM
It's a long drive for me TT and I LIVE in (north) Florida! I have had the pleasure of reading about the Guth's in UMCA and look forward to meeting them. I'm hoping Nancy is doing the 24 hour race since I'm in the 12 hour! The last "race" I did was in 1999 at my (4th) Ironman and I haven't "biked race" since 1987 (and they were a series of short distance races). Hmmmm...I think I'll treat this just like any other distance ride..."ride for the love of a ride." I have serious issues w/ saddle bruising :crap: , and since I haven't been able to get anybody (HELP BEN!!!) to listen to me :crap:, I'll be trying out a new invention, of my own...should be interesting. Wish I had a digital to take a pic...then again, Ben might "disown" me as a Serotta owner if he saw what I was doing to my Legend.

I'll tell 'em "hi" TT! ;)

Too Tall
02-16-2005, 09:37 AM
RAB Arnica is good for bruising. I'm a little worried about your comments. This "thing" isn't something new is it? A 12/24 event is not where you want to use anything new...change is bad....repeat after me. Just concerned.

theprep
02-16-2005, 01:23 PM
I need to put the energy in my bottles. On most of the long group rides I do, I'm breathing too hard to choke down any solid food, especially some of the concoctions mentioned above.

There is a new Gatorade out for "endurance athletes". It has more sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium than the original thirst quencher.

Hopefully the price $$ doesn't go up along with the electrolytes. Personally, my body likes the extra salt in regular Gatorade versus other products like Cytomax and Accelerade. Less cramping during long hammer fests.

More is better, right

weisan
02-16-2005, 02:05 PM
I was watching a video on Eddy Merckx titled "La Course en Tete" (The Head of the Field)

There's an interesting segment on the way they used to prepare bite-size snacks, kinda like sushi. :D

Do you think if I come up with something as an alternative to Cliff Bar but snappier, juicier, more "real-food" like, would there be a market for it? :p

Hmmm....need to check with my wife on this one.

jeffg
02-16-2005, 02:33 PM
That's the key for me, is length of the ride and weather.

In general, longer rides (DCs) go something like this:

Early: Bananas, Sustained Energy, Endurocaps

Midride: Start adding some sandwiches, cookies. If it's hot (say 120 on Skaggs Springs Road, definitely some Extran peach -- the stuff that Paul Sherwyn said was "disgusting if you try and taste it" just as Jan was drinking some before cracking on the Plateau de Beille this year). Try eating real food when it's that hot and you're climbing! :crap:

Late ride (after 9+ hours): Chips, Ramen, cookies, chili, whatever. Water, maybe a coke if it's hot. Get me home! :banana:

RABikes2
02-16-2005, 09:12 PM
RAB Arnica is good for bruising. I'm a little worried about your comments. This "thing" isn't something new is it? A 12/24 event is not where you want to use anything new...change is bad....repeat after me. Just concerned.

TT...Arnica is great. I've used it for years on bruising and my knees. The "new" is something new; I've only rode with it three times and each time honing it just a bit more. I'm as paranoid as can be with this race and trying a "new" technique, but I can't possibly ride and have the same bruising results :no::no: as on the 200k and 300k (it also occurs on 30 mile rides, not just distance). I agree, "change is bad" :no: and I've been taught lessons in the past for doing just what I am doing...but...I HAVE HIT MY LIMIT. Doing "something" is better than doing "nothing". The good thing is that I can always "change" things back to the "old" setup at any time. Positions are marked on my bike and the added "pieces" can be eliminated. Damn...I love riding, I love my bike...why can't I ride in considerable comfort like everybody else? :confused:

Thank you for your concern TT; I'll keep you posted.
RA