PDA

View Full Version : 700c rim Question

jpw
10-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Are there any 700c rims out there for disc braking but WITH a machined sidewall braking surface for alternative pad braking usage? Not looking for deep or shallow v section, just plain old box construction.... and eyelets.

Kirk Pacenti
10-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Are there any 700c rims out there for disc braking but WITH a machined sidewall braking surface for alternative pad braking usage? Not looking for deep or shallow v section, just plain old box construction.... and eyelets.

The Velocity Synergy would work very well. Fwiw, any rim can be used with disk brakes.

Cheers,

KP

jpw
10-07-2009, 11:54 AM
The Velocity Synergy would work very well. Fwiw, any rim can be used with disk brakes.

Cheers,

KP

Thanks Kirk. Why do rim manufacturers market disc specific versions if the standard rim braking version can be used for disc?

Thx, Jason.

RPS
10-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks Kirk. Why do rim manufacturers market disc specific versions if the standard rim braking version can be used for disc?

Thx, Jason.
They can be made a little lighter because the rim doesn't have to resist the crushing forces of the brake pads. Plus why go to the trouble and expense of machining the rim surface if there are no brakes at the rim?

On the other hand, when brakes are applied at the hub, loading due to spoke tension is different. I'd expect (more like speculate) that rims designed for disc brakes are probably stronger around the spoke hole area.

jpw
10-07-2009, 12:22 PM
They can be made a little lighter because the rim doesn't have to resist the crushing forces of the brake pads. Plus why go to the trouble and expense of machining the rim surface if there are no brakes at the rim?

On the other hand, when brakes are applied at the hub, loading due to spoke tension is different. I'd expect (more like speculate) that rims designed for disc brakes are probably stronger around the spoke hole area.

Yes, agreed. There has to be a technical difference that makes disc rims disc rims. No? It can't simply be that the disc rim is the same rim sans the machined sidewall,...or can it?

DT market the TK 540 as a pad braking machined rim, but also have the same designation but for disc-only braking.

Kirk Pacenti
10-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Yes, agreed. There has to be a technical difference that makes disc rims disc rims. No? It can't simply be that the disc rim is the same rim sans the machined sidewall,...or can it?

DT market the TK 540 as a pad braking machined rim, but also have the same designation but for disc-only braking.

I have not found a rim yet that couldn't successfully be run with disk brakes...

Cheers,

KP

acorn_user
10-08-2009, 09:08 AM

The technical difference is that disc specific rims should not be used with rim brakes, whereas normal rims can be used with either. Disc specific rims usually have curved sections where your brake track would be.

It seems to me that the major advantage of disc specific rims (aside from maybe being a bit lighter) is that you have more space to design cool graphics. The Ambrosio Baraccu comes to mind :)

jpw
10-08-2009, 11:57 AM
The technical difference is that disc specific rims should not be used with rim brakes, whereas normal rims can be used with either. Disc specific rims usually have curved sections where your brake track would be.

It seems to me that the major advantage of disc specific rims (aside from maybe being a bit lighter) is that you have more space to design cool graphics. The Ambrosio Baraccu comes to mind :)

So is there no other technical difference? Eyelet difference perhaps?

acorn_user
10-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Nope, eyelets are identical. Disk specific just means that you ought not to use that rim for rim brakes (although you likely could in an emergency).

mtnbke
10-09-2009, 02:21 AM
Then there are rims like the Velocity B43, that are not designed with a braking surface, but probably should have been.

The hipster/polo crowd could have ordered the rim without a machined braking surface just like their order their Deep Vs, but the B 43 would have been the perfect utilibike or heavy loaded tandem touring rim, its just that the surface wasn't engineered to be vertical/parallel. A complete oversight in my book...

RPS
10-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Then there are rims like the Velocity B43, that are not designed with a braking surface, but probably should have been.

The hipster/polo crowd could have ordered the rim without a machined braking surface just like their order their Deep Vs, but the B 43 would have been the perfect utilibike or heavy loaded tandem touring rim, its just that the surface wasn't engineered to be vertical/parallel. A complete oversight in my book...
It’s not quite the same as the B43, but you may want to check out the “Chukker”. Velocity claims it is the same rim as the old Deep V ATB which had a deeper and much wider section (24 MM wide X 32 MM deep) than the normal road Deep V (19 MM wide X 30 MM deep). I’ve had them on my Co-Motion tandem which has 26-inch wheels for years without any problems. And according to the Velocity site it is now available in 700C. The extra width compared to the B43 should make it much easier to use wider tires that would be common on tandems or loaded touring. And they don’t weigh quite as much as the B43s.

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=701

BTW, I found the Chukker listed under the 26-inch sizes although it is also listed as available in 700C. At 650 grams it’s not something you’d expect to see on a racing solo bike but it should work nicely for many heavy duty applications.