PDA

View Full Version : Lance signs spokesman deal with . . . Michelob ULTRA?!?!

BumbleBeeDave
10-07-2009, 08:33 AM
http://www.velonews.com/article/98981/lance-armstrong-signs-deal-with-michelob-ultra

I want to see video of him drinking a full bottle of this stuff to prove he can actually stomach it.

My brother-in-law loves this stuff, so I tried a bottle when I was visiting. The absolute WORST tasting excuse for beer--even a light beer--that I have EVER tasted. OMFG! Yuck! :crap: :( :rolleyes:

Where's that damn "smiley face throwing up" emoticon when I really need it . . .

BBD

Lurch
10-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Easy to fake a smile when thinking about all the money flowing into the bank account.

I don't think Fat Tire had the budget to hire him as a sponsor. :)

Maybe Radio Shack can get a liquor distributor license, and make the mall a little more fun.

fiamme red
10-07-2009, 08:52 AM
LANCE is having the 500 cases of Shiner Bock in his basement "rebadged" as Michelob Ultra. :beer:

fiamme red
10-07-2009, 09:02 AM
Michelob Ultra mixed with FRS energy drink (the one in the "tired of being tired?" ad) -- now that would be a potent cocktail. :rolleyes:

54ny77
10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say if it's hot outside, and the beer is ice cold, it's all good. :beer:

(actually, i like the stuff.)

rugbysecondrow
10-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say if it's hot outside, and the beer is ice cold, it's all good. :beer:

When I was in college, there were two types of beer, free and cheap.
As far as ultra goes, it is better than no beer, but not much better. If I am going to have a beer or two or 12, I want an actual beer, not something pretend. But I also love fried chicken, full flavored cigars, and other assorted items that might not be as good for me, so I might not be a shining example.

I am happy though :)

ClutchCargo
10-07-2009, 10:06 AM

Yup, agreed. Sorry, but when I've just hung up the bike after 65 miles in 90+ heat and humidity (ok, well, high 80's), I'm not turning to that tasty Left Hand Sawtooth or that Racer 5 IPA. Give me a quick couple a draws on a Mich Ultra just pulled from the fridge and I'm a happy camper. After the shower, we can indulge in the good stuff ! It's all about a time and a place, no?

Besides, all you haters, here's from the GABF 2009 winners list:

Category: 28 American Style Light Lager, 25 Entries
Gold: Budweiser Select, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Saint Louis, MO
Silver: Keystone Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO
Bronze: Michelob Ultra, Anheuser-Busch, Inc., Saint Louis, MO

p.s. Remember, BBDave, it's all good. After all, you're not one to look down upon those souls who ride Specialized, are you?

schneiderrd
10-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I always thought that Anheuser-Busch's linking Mich Ultra to cycling did not make sense. If anyone could afford the calories of a "real beer" it is someone who puts in even a modest amount of time on a bike. The calorie difference between Ultra and Bud is only 50, 95 vs 145. I guess if you are going to inhale a case of the stuff at one sitting then maybe it is worth it. If someone is determined to go the low calorie route Budweiser Select has only 96 calories but actually has some taste due to the additional hops. For the record my favorite is Pacific Ridge. Only available on draft and only on the West Coast as an establishment branded ale.

paulrad9
10-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Isn't Michelob ULTRA the beer which uses pictures of people doing athletic-related stuff? Drink our carbonated urine and win marathons!.
http://camy.org/gallery/fullsize/1527.jpg

Before you know it, Trek will sell bikes to Lance-wannabes

Keith A
10-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Where's that damn "smiley face throwing up" emoticon when I really need it . . . http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/31.gif or http://www.barrierislandgraphics.com/forum/i/expressions/puke.gif

johnnymossville
10-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Never tried the stuff, but I'd drink it if someone handed me one.

Charles M
10-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Who says the man isn't still ready to suffer during training... ;)

gdw
10-07-2009, 11:43 AM
GABF bronze?.... Keystone Light beat it. Enuf said.

It's embarrassing to see that there's an American Style Light Lager catagory.

I Want Sachs?
10-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Perhaps Floyd Landis can ink a deal with Budweiser?

ClutchCargo
10-07-2009, 12:09 PM
GABF bronze?.... Keystone Light beat it. Enuf said.

It's embarrassing to see that there's an American Style Light Lager catagory.

. . . guess I don't embarrass easily. :p

p.s. have you tried Keystone Light recently?

Kines
10-07-2009, 12:23 PM
this thread is making want a beer.
I get off work in 6.5hrs.
KN

Acotts
10-07-2009, 12:27 PM
True Story.

I went to cross camp a few weeks ago. Everyone brought all these fancy belgium beers. I brought PBR.

My beer was the only beer to get finished.

Now I enjoy a good IPA, some Chimay, Old Dominion or whatnot. But frankly, they give me headaches after more than a couple, and they all taste too strong. If I am going to hunker down for the night, Im drinking chivas 12 year.

But if im drinking beer all night, then I like nice, cold, flavorless, watered down light american beer. The less taste, less filling the better. Ultra, bud light, coors light, keystone, PBR--$hit all tastes the same. Whatever is cheeper--its just beer. No fancy pants micro brews for me.

Im all for Lance sponsoring Ultra. I think it is a great fit. Especially if they knock down the price a couple bucks for a case to compete with my PBR.

Acotts
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
im craving beers too. It looks like Lancypoo is already doing a good job.

sevencyclist
10-07-2009, 01:10 PM
One of my favorite quote from a co-worker is "Life is too short to drink $h!tty beer."

I used the same logic to come up with "Life is too short to ride $h!tty bike" to convince my wife for me to get my bikes. :beer:

54ny77
10-07-2009, 01:16 PM
would've rather seen them sponsor the team, not an individual sponsorship.

Acotts
10-07-2009, 01:50 PM
One of my favorite quote from a co-worker is "Life is too short to drink $h!tty beer."

I used the same logic to come up with "Life is too short to ride $h!tty bike" to convince my wife for me to get my bikes. :beer:

Yeah, I guess I just dont hold beer in very high esteem. Im snobby about my bikes and my whiskey.

Beer is beer. Tastes good when its hot outside, tastes great after a cross race, is a good social lubricant, and swells the belly.

It sucks that they wont help sponsor the team. I bet the $$ they pay Lance would cover a good portion of the team expenses. I think they could get a lot of play from it.

benb
10-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I haven't been able to figure out how snobby beer relates to cycling either.. it all makes you fat/slow. Maybe not as fat/slow as the typical american beer drinker but it's still makes you fatter/slower/whatever then you'd otherwise be.

If I am going to drink something sometimes I like the good stuff, sometimes I don't... haven't tried Michelob Ultra but I know I am more likely to enjoy that style of Beer on a hot day versus the middle of winter.

I just tend to have absolutely 0 desire to drink any kind of beer if I've been anywhere near my bike.

Money talks, can't see any other reason Lance would do this.

fiamme red
10-07-2009, 02:18 PM
I just tend to have absolutely 0 desire to drink any kind of beer if I've been anywhere near my bike.I'm glad there's at least one other person who feels the way I do. I enjoy a beer now and then, but I never think about beer while cycling, or after.

Lurch
10-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Because some of us are fat, and enjoy drinking our beer then slowly riding our bikes. Not everyone has aspirations or skills to kick ass. :)

torquer
10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I always thought that Anheuser-Busch's linking Mich Ultra to cycling did not make sense.
Don't think of cycling as the intended market. It's just another image (attractive, active folks) that A-B is using to sell to its customer base (plain and sedentary folks, for the most part) so they'll feel better about themselves. That's what advertising is all about.

This is no different from when Lowenbrau sponsored a team in the 80's, or Buckler in the 90's, except that cycling probably benefited more from those deals.

johnnymossville
10-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Lance and Michelob? What's next? McDonalds at the Louvre? (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/6259044/McDonalds-restaurants-to-open-at-the-Louvre.html)

ClutchCargo
10-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I haven't been able to figure out how snobby beer relates to cycling either.. it all makes you fat/slow. Maybe not as fat/slow as the typical american beer drinker but it's still makes you fatter/slower/whatever then you'd otherwise be.
How does beer make one fat/slow? It's just carbs, and you need carbs, right? :beer:

I just tend to have absolutely 0 desire to drink any kind of beer if I've been anywhere near my bike.

Well, this is just kind of a non sequitur, isn't it? :confused:

spacemen3
10-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Well, at least it has more alcohol than Miller Genuine Draft "64". :beer:

Steve in SLO
10-07-2009, 04:55 PM

Funny, I have to walk near my bikes hanging on the garage wall to get to my 'beerbox', then past them again to get back into the house...it hasn't decreased my desire to drink beer one bit.
Then again, I sometimes ride farther so I can drink more beer.
:bike: :beer: :bike:

Mr. Squirrel
10-07-2009, 05:04 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1236162429_squirrel_drinking_guinness.gif

lavi
10-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Then again, I sometimes ride farther so I can drink more beer.

HOLD ON now. Isn't the entire point of riding bikes so that one can be footloose about drinking beer. That been my reasoning. One extra hill on the way home = lots 'o beer.

Seriously though, I have also found that if I've really put in some hard work on a bike, I don't seem to get hung over.

gemship
10-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Lance and Michelob? What's next? McDonalds at the Louvre? (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/6259044/McDonalds-restaurants-to-open-at-the-Louvre.html)

oh please, your putting LA on a pedestal now. More like Macdonald's at at Six Flags.

Steve in SLO
10-07-2009, 06:42 PM
oh please, your putting LA on a pedestal now. More like Macdonald's at at Six Flags.

The picture is becoming clearer:

Lance + The Shack + Michelob + McDonalds = NASCAR in Spandex! :banana:
Every July add in The Louvre and us 'mericans'll show those Frenchies how to git'er done! :cool:

Disclaimer: This post is designed soley for (minimal) comedic value and is not meant to convey a political message or lead to intercontinental strife. I have always loved 'mericans and Frenchies.

jimp1234
10-07-2009, 06:47 PM
When I was in China on the All-American Ping Pong team, I just loved playing ping-pong with my Flexolite ping pong paddle. - Forrest Gump

gemship
10-07-2009, 06:51 PM
The picture is becoming clearer:

Lance + The Shack + Michelob + McDonalds = NASCAR in Spandex! :banana:
Every July add in The Louvre and us 'mericans'll show those Frenchies how to git'er done! :cool:

Disclaimer: This post is designed soley for (minimal) comedic value and is not meant to convey a political message or lead to intercontinental strife. I have always loved 'mericans and Frenchies.

Yes! I like your analogy better than mine well stated and spot on although I do believe at least I got the gist of it :p

johnnymossville
10-07-2009, 07:30 PM

If Americans end up liking Michelob Ultra even 1/100th as much as the French love McDonalds, Lance and Michelob will make for a great money making machine.