PDA

View Full Version : Waay OT - pickles

vqdriver
10-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Do jarred pickles go bad?

goonster
10-07-2009, 07:56 AM
No. That's why they're pickled.

The flavor will change, but the very high concentration of salts inhibits bacterial growth, even if no artificial preservatives are added. Preliminary results from long-term studies with opened containers, in my own research facilities, appear to confirm this.

djg
10-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Geeze they shouldn't, at least not quickly or easily (as per the post above), but it says to refrigerate them on the jar of bubbie's pickles -- easily the best dill pickles in a jar that I've found -- so that's what I do.

ahumblecycler
10-07-2009, 08:51 AM
The OP's question makes me wonder how long the jar has been around :rolleyes:

EddieBirdsell
10-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Try making your own; it's easy, fun to experiment, and delicious. I enjoy making a couple of jars' worth at a time and tweaking the recipe just a little bit in each one so that I can get the flavor that I'm looking for really dialed in. Of course, I never write down what I did differently in each jar, so it's a perpetual experiment.

zap
10-07-2009, 09:27 AM

Yes.

We used to get a box of pickles and beets from southern Ontario (yes, one has to search far and wide for the good stuff) and would have to toss the last jar or two in the bin.

They might have been safe to eat but the colour was off, contents murky and the taste ....................... :p

chuckred
10-07-2009, 10:02 AM

When in doubt, throw it out!

I can't imagine they do, but then again, if I found a jar from 1929 while cleaning out my grandparent's basement, not sure I'd experiment!

malcolm
10-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Buy wickles and they won't be around long enough to go bad.

Charles M
10-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Why are pickles OT on a forum that's 99.98% sausage?

It depends on the manufacturer and the process... More stoudt stuff is damn near indefinit. some of the "healthier stuff will come with a sell by date and depend a lot on storage...

morty
10-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Geeze they shouldn't, at least not quickly or easily (as per the post above), but it says to refrigerate them on the jar of bubbie's pickles -- easily the best dill pickles in a jar that I've found -- so that's what I do.
And the bread & butters are da bomb!

BumbleBeeDave
10-07-2009, 12:35 PM
. . . they have a steamboat museum dedicated to the contents of the steamboat Arabia, which sank 132 years ago and was salvaged from under dozens of feet of river bottom mud--now a cornfield--in the last 20 years. The guys who salvaged it found jars of pickles in the cargo, opened a jar and tasted them, and they were still fresh and sweet.

So I guess you are OK . . . Incidentally, go see the the museum or their web site. Well worth a look. They even have the log snag on exhibit that sank the boat. They found it embedded in the hull.

http://www.1856.com/

BBD

Kevan
10-07-2009, 01:59 PM
And the bread & butters are da bomb!

on a bbq pulled pork sandwich with a slop of cole slaw on top tuh boot.

ahumblecycler
10-07-2009, 08:31 PM
. . . they have a steamboat museum dedicated to the contents of the steamboat Arabia, which sank 132 years ago and was salvaged from under dozens of feet of river bottom mud--now a cornfield--in the last 20 years. The guys who salvaged it found jars of pickles in the cargo, opened a jar and tasted them, and they were still fresh and sweet.

So I guess you are OK . . . Incidentally, go see the the museum or their web site. Well worth a look. They even have the log snag on exhibit that sank the boat. They found it embedded in the hull.

http://www.1856.com/

BBD

Really? Which musuem? I need go visit this weekend.

BumbleBeeDave
10-07-2009, 08:47 PM
It's got all the info. The museum is down in the River Market area just north of downtown.

BBD

chuckroast
10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
It's the Steamboat Arabia Museum at the City Market, 400 Grand Avenue....cool place.