PDA

View Full Version : I hope this is a joke

gdw
10-05-2009, 04:51 PM
http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/7292

Ray
10-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Can't say its really that much more ridiculous than lots of things available today. Back when I did a lot of long mtb rides and was using a camelback, I'd occasionally run out of fluids without realizing I was even close to empty. Something like that could have been marginally useful if its reasonably accurate. No use for it today, but I don't find it any more offensive than electronic shifting, and its probably a hell of a lot less expensive!

-Ray

Volant
10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
I could've used that when I adventure raced regularly. Going a long way between CPs (up to 15 hours) could mean you'd run out of liquids if you didn't ration appropriately.

Lifelover
10-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Maybe I'll market a "Uri Cat" so you can track the fluid out!

Dekonick
10-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Is it April already?

nahtnoj
10-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I'd actually find this quite useful in the correct application.

I used to race 100 mile mtb events, and would set a watch alarm to remind me to eat/drink enough. Having that flow meter would make me more conscious of fluids. There is so much to think about during an mtb ride that it is easy to forget to drink.

MattTuck
10-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Up next.....

Chamois dampness sensor to keep you apprised of chaff creating moisture down there. Oooh, even better, a moisture detector for your Brooks saddle so that you know when you need to cover it up.

Honestly, kind of interesting but a limited market definitely. I give camelbak a lot of credit because I have been so happy with previous products, lately their podium bottles.

it is the inevitable march of innovation and progress, join the club or get out of the way :p

CaliFly
10-08-2009, 02:34 PM
The inevitable post will come along..."I looked from my camelback display and this runner came out of nowhere!" :p

gdw
10-08-2009, 03:30 PM
"it is the inevitable march of innovation and progress, join the club or get out of the way"

I'd like to get out of the way but unfortunately my GPS is out of juice and I can't figure out where to go. :D It's funny but the folks who might be considered the most likely users of something like this, ultra endurance athletes and western/desert riders, seem to think it's ridiculous based upon the emails currently circulating out here. Camelbak makes simple lowtech products which work well... maybe that's why this thing seems so bizarre and unnecessary.

MattTuck
10-08-2009, 03:43 PM
I agree on the point that camelback does best when making simple products that work well.

A more useful feature (from my perspective) would be some indicator on or near the mouth piece that indicates VERY simply by just a color, is it green (more than 50% left), yellow (more than 15% left), red (you are below 15% capacity).

No need to bring digital readout into it. Reminds me of a comedy bit that mitch hedburg used to do about donut shops giving out receipts for a cup of coffee. There is no need to bring ink and paper into this transaction.

mtnbke
10-09-2009, 02:28 AM
When I used to go on four and five hour rides near Grand Junction I'd panic when I'd realize I'd slurped down all 100oz of my water.

I'm not saying I needed a digital readout of flow rate, but it would have been nice to have saved something for the ride back. Then again in 100 degree heat in the desert, I could have just brought more water, I guess.

The funny thing. On those same rides my riding buddy wouldn't go through but one bottle. Even when I was skinny and we were riding at the same level I used to call him 'the camel'.