10-04-2009, 02:00 PM
What a shame.
http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2229294.html

54ny77
10-04-2009, 02:41 PM
sad indeed. thanks for the link.

BumbleBeeDave
10-04-2009, 05:43 PM
That's awful! What demons must be fighting it out inside his head and his soul? I can only hope for the best for him--and I do.

BBD

torquer
10-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Snipped from the Bee article:

Race sponsors enamored of the compelling comeback story continue to request Gerlach's presence at races.

"A story like this gets the interest of everybody in the world," Fanini said. "I had commitments from sponsors who were coming to the race to cheer for him. I sent all the details to Chad and was begging him to tell me what was going on."

Gerlach was the guy featured on the cable reality show about interventions, right? I'm no expert, but one has to wonder if all the attention didn't do him more harm than good in the end.

Steelhead
10-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Sad - Maybe he will hit bottom soon and make it out alive. I hope so.

Hawker
10-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Damn! Drugs and alcohol....I hate 'em both. I'm sorry for his battle.

konstantkarma
10-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Gerlach was the guy featured on the cable reality show about interventions, right? I'm no expert, but one has to wonder if all the attention didn't do him more harm than good in the end.

How so? The guy is an addict. Do you mean he may have snapped under the pressure of everyone's expectations? Most addicts are just one disappointment away from relapse.

Steelhead
10-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Most addicts are just one disappointment away from relapse.[/QUOTE]

I know people that have been clean/sober for 30+ years and faced HUGE disappointments/challenges/failures/losses/tragedies and no return to drugs or drinking. I wish him the best but until he is willing to go to any length to be free of the bottle and the pipe this will continue to be his problem until he is locked up or worse.

konstantkarma
10-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Yes Steelhead, fortunately you are correct. Some addicts can maintain sobriety in the face of disappointment and stress. Unfortunately, stress and disappointment are two of the major factors resulting in relapse for the majority.

RBaker2778
10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Yes Steelhead, fortunately you are correct. Some addicts can maintain sobriety in the face of disappointment and stress. Unfortunately, stress and disappointment are two of the major factors resulting in relapse for the majority.

While disappointment and stress may be triggers for relapse, they certainly are not the only such triggers, and they certainly aren't a guarantee for relapse. In addition, is very unwise of you to comment on what results in relapse for the majority of addicts. Are these your triggers for relapse? Are you a licensed drug and alcohol counselor? What is your first hand experience with addiction?

Anyone familiar with addiction can tell you that almost anything can trigger a relapse. Happiness, sadness, joy, loss, confusion, confidence, not liking the way your shirt looks, a bad hair day, etc. A true addict can create any excuse to drink or drug that they want. It is what the addict does with that thought/excuse that determines whether or not a relpase will occur.

As I am sure you are aware, there are many individuals that have dealt with their addictions, maintaining sobriety for many many years. Through death, loss of job, divorce, etc., many addicts are able to maintain their sobriety on a day to day basis. I would be willing to bet that there are some such people on this board as we speak.

fiamme red
10-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Any true friend of Gerlach's should not be encouraging him to continue racing his bike.

RBaker2778
10-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Any true friend of Gerlach's should not be encouraging him to continue racing his bike.

Why?

I agree that he should focus on himself, but if he is able to get back on his feet, why shouldn't he race?

fiamme red
10-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Why?

I agree that he should focus on himself, but if he is able to get back on his feet, why shouldn't he race?I don't care how many local criteriums he wins. He's already 36 and his years as a pro are coming to an end. It's time to face reality and start thinking about what he wants to do for the rest of his life. Besides, he needs a completely fresh start. Coming back to race with another team, he'll just repeat the cycle once again (cf. Vandenbroucke, Frank).

konstantkarma
10-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Are these your triggers for relapse? Are you a licensed drug and alcohol counselor? What is your first hand experience with addiction?

To put your fears at rest, I am a neurobiologist well-versed in the field of human addiction.

I speak from a statistical point of view. You can point out all of the successes you wish regarding people maintaining their sobriety. I am sure that most of them will tell you it took a lot of hard work, will power, and strength to get where they are today. Unfortunately, statistically speaking stress and difficult life circumstances often do trigger relapse, especially in those without much time of sobriety under their belt. It isn't conjecture, it is biology.

The two most important things for recovering addicts are to learn new ways of dealing with their stresses, or the triggers of their relapse, and to avoid situations/people that can trigger drug or alcohol cravings. Also, a strong structure of support, be it family or AA, can often mean the difference between sobriety or relapse.

RBaker2778
10-06-2009, 06:38 PM
To put your fears at rest, I am a neurobiologist well-versed in the field of human addiction.

I speak from a statistical point of view. You can point out all of the successes you wish regarding people maintaining their sobriety. I am sure that most of them will tell you it took a lot of hard work, will power, and strength to get where they are today. Unfortunately, statistically speaking stress and difficult life circumstances often do trigger relapse, especially in those without much time of sobriety under their belt. It isn't conjecture, it is biology.

The two most important things for recovering addicts are to learn new ways of dealing with their stresses, or the triggers of their relapse, and to avoid situations/people that can trigger drug or alcohol cravings. Also, a strong structure of support, be it family or AA, can often mean the difference between sobriety or relapse.
I too am well versed in addition. You have made some very valid points, but your statement that "most addicts are one disappointment away from a relapse" is downright absurd. I apologize if I seem out of line, but I have more first hand experience with addicts than most people ever will. That being said, the addict I encounter are often those who are trying to give sobriety a chance. Your generalization seems a little bit overly broad. Now I certainly am not a neurobiologist, so I cannot speak to whatever statistical data is printed in whatever reference material you utilized in forming your hypothesis. I can tell you from first hand experience with addicts of all shapes and sizes that those who are willing to put forth the effort to stay clean are not merely one disappointment away from relapse.

konstantkarma
10-06-2009, 07:06 PM
That being said, the addict I encounter are often those who are trying to give sobriety a chance. Your generalization seems a little bit overly broad.

Precisely. You are dealing with a much smaller segment of the larger population. Those wanting to change and be sober. The vast majority of addicts are not at that point and are at greater risk because they have not sought help. Therefore, my generalization is just that, a generalization to the entire population of addicts. Not just those seeking treatment.

In point of fact though, it does not matter. The single biggest factor in triggering relapse is life stress. Whether it be for an addict seeking help, or one that is not. It really should not come as a surprise because life stress, depending on its severity, frequency and how well it is coped with is also a huge predictor for mental illness of all kinds, including addiction.

RBaker2778
10-06-2009, 07:15 PM
It really should not come as a surprise because life stress, depending on its severity, frequency and how well it is coped with is also a huge predictor for mental illness of all kinds, including addiction.

So are you of the mindset that addiction is a behavior, or do you feel that it is in fact a genetic defect?

konstantkarma
10-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I think that genetics play a huge part in all behavior (I know, not the answer you were looking for :) )

There is no doubt that genetics plays a large role in determining susceptibility to addiction. Just as there is no doubt that it plays a huge role in susceptibility to schizophrenia, depression, or any number of mental disorders. The science is very strong in this regard, although the genes that lead to addiction have not been identified.

I would not call this genetic susceptibility a defect, because it is likely something that requires both the susceptibility, as well as the right (or wrong) set of circumstances to set off the addictive cycle. In other words, the addiction susceptibility could remain a dormant trait until it is triggered by the right factors. Again stress could be one of those factors.

This is not to say that genetics is the only determinant. Other factors that lead to addiction in otherwise non-susceptible people might be a life trauma, and abusive parent, a painful injury leading to narcotic use etc. Addiction in this case might represent a form of self medication where the person has lost control. Another factor might be the observation of addictive behavior in other people.

I think that if we view addiction as a disease with many causes it makes a bit more sense.