PDA

View Full Version : Handlebars: Surprising difference

dekindy
10-03-2009, 11:33 PM
The bicycle I purchased came with Deda Big Piega handlebars that were the width my fitter recommended. Not thinking much about handlebar differences I did not consider anything else.

Fast forward 3 years and on of my gal riding buddies gets a new bike and raves about the handlebars. I started researching and since my LBS had FSA Wing Compact and Salsa Short and Shallow bars in stock, I inspected them and selected the FSA's. I only considered compact bars because a lot of people expressed dislike for the ergo shaped bars.

Wow, what a difference. Sometimes when you get something new there is an adjustment period. Not with these. They felt great from the very beginning.

The flat tops are very comfortable and the compact style makes for a better riding position in the drops. If I had only known I would have switched years ago.

They are also round near the stem for attaching lights, bells, and inclinometers and a computer if I did not have it mounted on the stem. My buddy's bars would only mount accessories that had a O-ring or strap mounts because a traditional mount would not fit.

CaliFly
10-04-2009, 01:01 AM
I got the same one about a month ago and put it on my Peg. The classic bend doesn't detract from the overall look...plus they feel oh-so-right!

:beer:
Floyd

jlwdm
10-04-2009, 05:26 AM
. ... I only considered compact bars because a lot of people expressed dislike for the ergo shaped bars.

Wow, what a difference. Sometimes when you get something new there is an adjustment period. Not with these. They felt great from the very beginning.

The flat tops are very comfortable and the compact style makes for a better riding position in the drops. ...

That is great you really like them. You seem to like the shape and the smaller drop.

This is also a shorter reach bar than you had so this might be changing your riding position although the shape of the bar can affect the reach depending on how the brake/shifter fits on the handlebar.

Did you buy the same nominal width? The Deda bars are measured outside to outside and the FSAs are center to center.

There are lots of handlebar choices today. The tricky part is navigating all of the different specs. Compact means very different things from company to company.

Jeff

rugbysecondrow
10-04-2009, 08:01 AM
I just fit my cockpit with a Nitto Technomic Stem, Nitto Noodle 48 bars and some of Ray's Hurricane Handle Bra...it is nice.

Since I have pretty broad shoulders, the wider setup felt completely natural from the get go. I actually breath better with my chest opened up that little bit. Also, the shape of the bars fit well for me. Lastly, this setup make a more smooth ride as well. Very happy.

The only drawback is that the wider setup seems to cause a little more wind resistence, but not a big deal since this is not the bike I use for my triathlons.

Cheers,

Paul

Dave
10-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I tired the FSA compact when they first came out. They were OK, except that the bend produced a huge reach from the hooks to the brake lever, which is just the opposite of what I need. I can adjust the brake lever reach on a Campy ergo lever and did that, but I prefer to keep the adjustment to a minimum.

I still don't get the flat top idea. Mine was angled up a bit, even with the bar ends horizontal. I use the tops very little, but when I do, I find a round shape much easier to grasp.

The width at the brake hood is also a full 2cm narrower than the ends, so most people will want to buy 2cm wider than usual. I bought my normal 40cm c-c width and found the brake hoods spacing a bit too narrow.

I switched to the Easton EC90 SLX3 that has a similar reach and drop, but works much better with Campy levers. The brake hoods are about 1cm closer in width than the ends of the bars.

dekindy
10-04-2009, 09:10 AM
To answer everybody's questions.

My Serotta trained fitter knows the measurement differences and recommeded the same size bars as the Deda. It feels good but I don't know the rational. Occasionally he sees me on a ride so he probably used his judgment regarding the size.

I feel a little higher which I assume is due to the lesser drop. It also makes me feel a little less aerodynamic in the drops compared to the old bar. However I don't care. I am only interested in comfort and do not care about increasing/decreasing marginal performance. If I lose 30 pounds I will buy a second bike and start trying to keep up with the racers at my training ride.

Despite all the adjustments to my old bars, I still was getting a little stiffness in my arms and wrists when I ride. Occasionally I removed my hands from the bars to get rid of the stiffness. On yesterday's ride I noticed that I was not having any discomfort. I am guessing that it is because the flat tops give a broader area to disperse the pressure. Or it may just be the characteristics of the flat bar fit my ergonomics better.

Whatever the reason, it has been a great improvement. I will comment further after I do a training ride since this was a weekend ride.

rickbb
10-04-2009, 05:40 PM

The flat tops are very comfortable and the compact style makes for a better riding position in the drops. If I had only known I would have switched years ago.

I've had the same experience with the FSA Wing Compact which I got after the GF's raves about the flat bartops on her Roubaix. I'm tons more comfortable and can ride in the drops, such as they are, much longer without discomfort.
I can see where they wouldn't be for everyone and I probably wouldn't have them but for flexibility issues. And I'm not sure about the looks (exaggerated here by shooting below the bike, apologies for the bottles...) but don't care because of their contribution to my riding pleasure.
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp6323%3B%3Enu%3D3339%3E78%3A%3E478%3E WSNRCG%3D33579359%3B2337nu0mrj

jlwdm
10-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I can see where they wouldn't be for everyone and I probably wouldn't have them but for flexibility issues. ..

Although the bars are great for some riders with flexibility issues I saw an article early in the year where a representative for one of the handlebar companies said that a lot of the demand came from pro riders. He said that many of the pros are starting with their bars so low that they do not need such a big drop in the handlebars themselves. Their positions are so arrow on the hoods that you see a lot of riders still on the hoods when they are really pounding it.

Jeff

RkyMtn
10-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Another bar to consider that I have recently mounted and love is the 3T Ergonova and Ergosum bars. The tops aren't as flat as the FSA Wing bar and they have that same dip in the bar where you palm nestles into and is SOOOOooooo much more comfortable on the long rides.

Cheers,

Eric

Marcusaurelius
10-04-2009, 10:34 PM
I recently tried a set of FSA compact handlebars but I much prefer the deep drop and longer reach handlebars. I like to be low and have long arms so I always thought the deeper the drop and longer the reach the better (I think I was right).

Charles M
10-05-2009, 11:15 AM
Hmmm...

My fitter has a few bars to try on hand.

Good fitters usually have a few.

ridethecliche
10-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I had a fit by someone who champions the Retul system at the end of summer this year.

He suggested that I move to compact bars so I can keep my hood height the same but decrease the drop. I doubt I'll be doing it.

I can't imagine not being cramped up when sprinting with such a drastic decrease in drop. I guess using a longer stem would help solve that, but I really like Deda newton anatomics.

OP, glad you like the bars. I've always wondered about the bars with flat tops.

dekindy
10-06-2009, 08:34 AM
I had a fit by someone who champions the Retul system at the end of summer this year.

He suggested that I move to compact bars so I can keep my hood height the same but decrease the drop. I doubt I'll be doing it.

I can't imagine not being cramped up when sprinting with such a drastic decrease in drop. I guess using a longer stem would help solve that, but I really like Deda newton anatomics.

OP, glad you like the bars. I've always wondered about the bars with flat tops.

I was amazed that someone would get a whole new bike and rave so about the handlebars of all things. I like the flat tops and for whatever the reason, my fitter nailed the position with the new bars because position-wise I feel just as comfortable on the flats and hoods and even more comfortable than before in the drops. That is what I wanted so I am extremely happy.

I am not promoting compact bars per se. Just the thought that with all the new bars and shapes it might be worth it to experiment with flat tops and compact or ergonomic designs. I had not given it much consideration before and did not believe that it could make such a difference.

BTW, what is the Retul System of fitting?