PDA

View Full Version : Squeeky fork is driving me nuts - Help!!!!

Pierre
10-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Hi,
Alright I've just spent 1.5hrs of my Saturday night trying to get rid of a flexing noise in and around my fork/headset area. Hard to describe the sound except to describe it as a carbon flexing noise...or similar to the noise that occurs when the handlebar slips in the stem. It's sharp and short. I happens whether I'm breaking or or, whether the stem is tight or loose. I've loosened my mudguards thinking the bolt or nut was rubbing against the fork...still there. I've overhauled the headset, was hopeful as it really needed it...still there. I loosened the handlebars...still there.

It's a carbon-laced aluminum fork on a Garneau hybrid frame (not sure of relevance but anyway). I'm starting to think that it may just be the fork itself which would be a bummer

...if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. I just want to bike to work on Monday in silence!!!!!

Sleepless in Toronto

Louis
10-03-2009, 11:19 PM
happens whether I'm breaking or or, whether the stem is tight or loose.

Pierre,

Does it happen when you're braking, or whether or not you're braking? I'm having a hard time figuring out what causes the noise to occur.

Can you straddle the TT and apply downward forces on the handlebar and recreate it?

Louis

avalonracing
10-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Could it be the headset fork race?

Pierre
10-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Pierre,

Does it happen when you're braking, or whether or not you're braking? I'm having a hard time figuring out what causes the noise to occur.

Can you straddle the TT and apply downward forces on the handlebar and recreate it?

Louis

yep, happens whether I'm braking or not...

Pierre
10-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Could it be the headset fork race?

...hmmm. Possible, I suppose. Thanks for the tip.

John M
10-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Is it worse out of the saddle? Check/lubricate the front skewer. Skewer noise can radiate up the fork such that it sounds like it is coming from the headset area.

Pierre
10-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Is it worse out of the saddle? Check/lubricate the front skewer. Skewer noise can radiate up the fork such that it sounds like it is coming from the headset area.

That too is a good idea...I'll try that first and report back. Thanks, John!

MarcusPless
10-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Make sure you examine the frame and fork carefully. My last round of "noisey front end" turned out to be a crack in the downtube that had made it half way around the tube. :crap:

--Marcus

Pierre
05-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi - figured I owed you guys a reply as to root cause.

...So a monthly later I decided to loosen the bolt that holds holds the mudguard to the fork eyelet to see if this would make any difference. Instead of loosening it, I broke it right off...

The good news is that the squeak finally stopped! The bad news was that half the screw stayed stuck in the eyelet. I suspect that it was partially cracked all along (the screw, that is) and that is what was causing the noise.

So a bit of drilling later with a slightly larger eyelet, life is good. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Louis
05-17-2010, 02:18 PM
the bolt that holds holds the mudguard to the fork eyelet

That was going to be my second guess ;)

Enjoy the silence.