PDA

View Full Version : Prostate friendly saddle

gt6267a
01-19-2004, 05:00 PM
My current saddle is a Selle Italia Flight Trans Am. When I weighed 197lbs it was great. Super comfortable and no problems with the interior stuff.

Now, I weigh 175 and it is no longer working for me. I am sore when I get off the bike. I have tried a number of seat angles without solving the problem.

My question here is this : what prostrate friendly seats are you enjoying these days? looking through the excel catalogue, i noticed this arrowhead seat. anyone have experience with this saddle?

thanks,
k

bulliedawg
01-19-2004, 05:13 PM
I resisted and resisted because of the price, but the Fizik Aliante is really an amazingly comfortable ride.

I did a cost benefit analysis and didn't see a reason to buy the carbon, so I bought the titanium and can't imagine a better-riding saddle.

Kevin
01-19-2004, 05:15 PM
I second the vote for the Alliante. I have four of them, two on the shelf in case they get discontinued. Best saddle I have ever owned. Well worth the money.

Kevin

PBWrench
01-19-2004, 05:27 PM
More kudos for the Aliante. I love this saddle! I've heard good reviews, as well, on the new Fizik Arionne (sp?). See if you can "borrow" a friend's Aliante for a 50+ mile ride and then decide. Good luck!

sellsworth
01-19-2004, 05:41 PM
I'll join the Aliante love fest going on here by saying that it is easily the best saddle that I have ever used. I'm still trying to figure out what makes it so good.

gt6267a
01-19-2004, 05:57 PM
this is clearly an aliante love fest. a question for you guys -- i'm not seeing a cutout or space common on prostrate friendly saddles.

will one of you spend a moment to talk directly to this concern and this saddle? a confirmation that you know the problem i am having with my current saddle and do not have it with the aliante ...

thanks,
k

PBWrench
01-19-2004, 06:01 PM
There is no cut-out, although there is the wedge shape common to many saddles geared towards reducing pressure on the prostrate. The unique feature of this saddle is the carbon/kevlar weave used in the understructure which gives a "hammock" feel. I can't respond specificly to prostrate problems, but I have experienced considerable numbness with many other saddles, and none whatsoever with the Aliante.

dave thompson
01-19-2004, 06:04 PM
I've ridden saddles with and without the cutout. I now have Brooks B-17s on all my bikes. My experience tells me that a saddle that fits properly doesn't need a cutout, evidence the B-17. Which underneath me is an all-day saddle.

Smiley
01-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Two B 17's and a Swallow on order . You owe it to yourself to give Brooks a try , www.wallbike.com and talk to Bill.

jerk
01-19-2004, 07:19 PM
try a turbo.

D-Squared
01-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Don't laugh but through a round about trial and error process I finally end up with an unconventional saddle. I tried the Alliante and got numb, Brooks Swift -- numb, didn't like Terry and the brand of the other is eluding me right now. Anyway take a look at

http://www.spongywonder.com/

By definition this saddle can't do anything to your prostate.

It took some fiddling to get the angle of the saddle set and the distance between the pads. Surprisingly, a little difference in the distance between the pads makes a big difference. Now I can do a century without thinking about the saddle and don't experience any numbness.

:banana:

kelmeboyAZ
01-19-2004, 08:16 PM
As one who has had chronic perineal discomfort, I can praise the saddle with the longest name. The "Selle Italia Prolink Trans Am Gel Flow" has many comfort features:

1. cutout for taint relief
2. elastomer springs and carbon rails
3. gel padding
4. wide flat back end
5. anterior nose dip

My prostate sings so sweetly since being perched on this marvel.

Drawbacks: >300g and now I can't ride any other seat so I put one on my Ottrott ST, my KG381i, my DeKerf ST, my Lemond Revmaster and I'm thinking about putting one in my Toyota Landcruiser!

ssvacyclist
01-19-2004, 08:22 PM
D-Squared,

How long have you had your Spongy Wonder and how many miles do you have on it? Do you feel it puts more pressure on your hands and shoulders? Did you move the pads in or out? Lot of questions i know but i just put one on yesterday and i'm not to sure about it. Thanks for the help. Mike C.

gt6267a
01-19-2004, 09:05 PM
d-squared -- your saddle recommendations does look a bit odd, but it does look interesting as well.

i am with ssvacyclist and curious about your spongy wonder. comfort, hands, shoulders ...

now with the happy comments about the fizik, brooks, and spongy i'd like to have the opportunity to try them all out...

jerk -- excuse my ignorance, but i am not familiar with your recomendation?

SBash
01-19-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm with Dave Thompson on this one, Brooks B-17's all the way! Tried just about everything else when I had my bike shop and for my ass Brooks B-17 is the best.

SB

dave thompson
01-19-2004, 11:18 PM
While I love my B-17 saddles, I wasn't trying to advocate them per se. I was using them as an example of "...experience tells me that a saddle that fits properly doesn't need a cutout...". while others have used the Aliante as another example. I believe a saddle, like a bicycle, must fit properly, and it's very hard to find one that does. There aren't a whole lot of dealers that allow for an extended test and then freely exchange saddles.

Too Tall
01-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Jerk, do they still make the Turbo?

I finally saw an Arionne yeterday. That is a long suker.

MartyE
01-20-2004, 09:21 AM
I agree with DaveT that cutout isn't always the answer.
I have B17 that is really comfortable and supportive. I'm
in the process of breaking in a Brooks team pro which also
feels like its going to be a winner (for me) but find it needs
a bit less angle up in the front than the B17.

Marty

IFRider
01-20-2004, 09:25 AM
I tried a number of saddles and final succumbed to the Brooks world. Major difference in comfort. www.wallbike.com has a excellent try and return policy.

Rich_W
01-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by bulliedawg
I resisted and resisted because of the price, but the Fizik Aliante is really an amazingly comfortable ride.

I did a cost benefit analysis and didn't see a reason to buy the carbon, so I bought the titanium and can't imagine a better-riding saddle.

I second the Aliante... but I prefer the gain in flex from the carbon railed version. I run my Aliante far back... amazingly comfortable. I just posted this to the Serotta Gallery on my new Ottrott, but I had it the same way on my previous Legend Ti.

Like the old Concour, I like a "ramped" saddle... Setting the saddle's nose level leaves a ramp on the rear of the saddle allowing the rider to push back on the pelvis more, with less pressure on the "taint".

D-Squared
01-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Mike C.

I've had the Spongy Wonder for about 3 months and 1,000 miles now. In my experience the angle of the pads will have the greatest impact upon the pressure on your hands/shoulders. At first I had them rotated down too much and it almost seemed as if I would slide forward off the pads unless I countered with extra pressure on my hands/shoulders. My hands would get sore and I was about ready to return the saddle until I talked to Jeff and he recommended simply rotating the saddle up more. I spend the majority of my time on my aero bars but have the pads oriented so that my hands/shoulders are comfortable when I'm riding with my hands on the shifters. This makes it sort of feel like my behind doesn't really touch the back surface of the pads when I'm aero but this isn't a comfort problem.
Concerning the lateral adjustment, this too makes a big difference. Once I figured out the angle I needed to dial this in as well. I'm a smaller person with a narrow backside so I had the pads as close together as they could get and after 40 miles or so it would be painful. So again before I sent it back I tried moving them apart maybe a 1/2 inch to see if it would help. My left side was fine after that but my right cheek still bothered me so I tried moving the right side outward another 1/8 inch. That was it. I've since done three centuries over here in Okinawa with lots of climbing and the only thing that bothers me is my quads screaming at me when I've only got a 39/25 but the backside is fine.
I still think the saddle doesn't look right and wish I could find a lighter more conventional looking saddle for my Ottrott but now that I have this one dialed in I will stick with it. If Jeff ever builds the Spongy with titanium rails and drops the weight I'll buy another one though.

Good luck with yours,

Elefantino
01-20-2004, 06:01 PM
At least for my bony rear end, the Avocet O2 is wonderful.

I have chronic prostatitis, too, so I need something that keeps me from yelping when there is inflammation.

But everybody's backside is different. Sit on a bunch and see which one you like. Even buy a few. If you don't like 'em and can't take 'em back, you can always sell 'em on eBay.

FWIW,
Mike

jerk
01-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Too Tall
Jerk, do they still make the Turbo?

I finally saw an Arionne yeterday. That is a long suker.

no....but i've got a box of them you can come over and look at.

actually guys i'm really sorry...but if the spongy whatever the hell that thing is was the only saddle left on earth the jerk would ride standing up. that thing is the most horrible cycling product the jerk has ever seen.
whatever gets you on the bike the jerk guesses but that thing insults the jerk's aesethetics.

D-Squared
01-20-2004, 07:33 PM
jerk,

You might want to think about "standing up." There was a guy that did RAGBRAI this year with his saddle/seatpost removed and the opening sealed shut. Legs of Steel. As always, your constructive criticism is valued and as I stated I would prefer a more conventional looking saddle but this gets me on the road so I put up with it.

SBash
01-20-2004, 07:43 PM
I can accept the spongy. Whatever gets anyone on a bike. I never thought I would be riding a B-17 because of the Non-aero looks and extra weight but after trying them, my 52 year old ass thanks them and I ride much better.

SB

Smiley
01-20-2004, 08:08 PM
The B17 did the trick for me, I say screw the looks and the freaking weight , the best saddle I have ever placed my buttocks on... Brooks ...awaiting the $ 400 Swallow to arrive in late spring now.