PDA

View Full Version : Hors Cat

jpw
10-03-2009, 05:22 AM
In these tighter economic times might it now be an opportunity rather than aburden for S to consider bringing back the HC in a limited run at uber prices for the 'addicted'? There has to be niche there that will coin turnover and margin for the bottom line.

oldman
10-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Don't think so. The market for them has shrunk so much, the used one's are going dirt cheap.

jpw
10-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Don't think so. The market for them has shrunk so much, the used one's are going dirt cheap.

Used of any bike goes dirt cheap these days, especially when here the seat stay elastomers are harder to find. I don't think it necessarily indicates an underlying lack of 'niche' demand though. Carbon is king but curved tii stays and pivoting dropout have their place...maybe. :beer:

Gothard
10-03-2009, 06:24 AM
especially when here the seat stay elastomers are harder to find. :beer:

I doubt that is a problem. These seem to be a lifetime item.

Definitely not enough demand.

jpw
10-03-2009, 06:32 AM
I doubt that is a problem. These seem to be a lifetime item.

Definitely not enough demand.

Is that why S stopped making them? I thought it was more of a manufacturing issue.

rockdude
10-03-2009, 07:01 AM
If I had to only have one bike, it would be my Serotta DKS Cross. Yes, I would pick it over the Peg love #3, Parlee Z1 and my beloved Legend.

rwsaunders
10-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Dave Kirk seems to have a good following with his Terraplane, which is an evolution of the DKS, yes? I assume that the demand for the Terraplane is part design, and part the fact that Dave is just a great craftsman.

David Kirk
10-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I think the Hors was a great bike and the folks that have them love them. I think one of the main issues with it was that Serotta did a very poor job of explaining the design and it's function to shops and customers and since very few folks understood it they didn't buy it. Most of the sales dept didn't understand how it worked and certainly had never ridden one. There certainly was not a unified message coming from the company about what the bike did and didn't do.

In the end those that did buy one spread the word and created demand for the bike but alas it was too late and the company had decided to axe the model. As I understand it they tossed the tooling a few years back so the chances of getting them to build more is slim at best........ or even slimmer then them offering CSi's again.

Keep'em if you got'em.

dave

Dekonick
10-03-2009, 11:09 AM
My biggest regret is I did not buy a Hors Cat CX. The design (Hors Cat) is genius and works wonders. I still am amazed I bought my second one used for half what I paid for my original F/F. I know how lucky I am to have not one, but two. For anyone who has never had the chance, if you see one pop up in your size, grab it and be amazed.

I agree that S dropped the ball in the marketing dept. In a world where so many seem caught up in counting grams, or in looks, a product like the hors was lost on the masses. A shame. Once you have ridden one, you understand the comfort and control it affords you. A magical frame and design genius.

Mike748
10-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Keepers.

Smiley
10-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Bad marketing and very expensive build for the Hors Cat will make the decision by Serotta to ever bring this model back ...moot

Ahneida Ride
10-03-2009, 12:54 PM
I rode a HC for the first time back in August ....

Truly a bit of heaven from the genius of Mr. Dave Kirk ...

gomez308
10-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Dave,

Could you give us a little history of how it came about and the mechanics of it?

I think the Hors was a great bike and the folks that have them love them. I think one of the main issues with it was that Serotta did a very poor job of explaining the design and it's function to shops and customers and since very few folks understood it they didn't buy it. Most of the sales dept didn't understand how it worked and certainly had never ridden one. There certainly was not a unified message coming from the company about what the bike did and didn't do.

In the end those that did buy one spread the word and created demand for the bike but alas it was too late and the company had decided to axe the model. As I understand it they tossed the tooling a few years back so the chances of getting them to build more is slim at best........ or even slimmer then them offering CSi's again.

Keep'em if you got'em.

dave

jlwdm
10-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Here is a post with some information.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=53989&highlight=DKS

Jeff

SoCalSteve
10-03-2009, 03:14 PM
My biggest regret is I did not buy a Hors Cat CX. The design (Hors Cat) is genius and works wonders. I still am amazed I bought my second one used for half what I paid for my original F/F. I know how lucky I am to have not one, but two. For anyone who has never had the chance, if you see one pop up in your size, grab it and be amazed.

I agree that S dropped the ball in the marketing dept. In a world where so many seem caught up in counting grams, or in looks, a product like the hors was lost on the masses. A shame. Once you have ridden one, you understand the comfort and control it affords you. A magical frame and design genius.

Rode mine today with the new 1" F3 fork...I remember now why I loved it so much that I had JB repaint it...

I am SO GLAD I never sold it now!

Steve

PS: Complete ride report to follow in its own thread (The F3 deserves its own thread).

slowgoing
10-03-2009, 03:29 PM
someone should start a thread where everyone can post pics of their hors.

dekindy
10-03-2009, 11:37 PM
David Kirk, here is a chance to market how your Terraplane seat stays are as good as or superior to the HC!

I just did a very quick review of your website and could not find any description of the Terraplane option. Did I miss it? Last year I thought you designed some new tooling to manufacture those.