PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Pauls Racer Canti mount brakes

sokyroadie
10-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Title say's it all. Canti's suck, I am looking for something better for a cross bike, but not for cross use. :)

xjahx
10-02-2009, 08:14 PM
I have a new set of Paul Racer canti's (black, front/rear, original packaging) that I planned to install 1 month ago on my Moots Psychlo-X. The project is delayed, so if you would like them, let me know.

Of note, I will wait for SoCalSteve to provide input into appropriate market pricing for Pauls in the aforementioned state.

nahtnoj
10-02-2009, 08:40 PM
I have a new set of Paul Racer canti's (black, front/rear, original packaging) that I planned to install 1 month ago on my Moots Psychlo-X. The project is delayed, so if you would like them, let me know.

Of note, I will wait for SoCalSteve to provide input into appropriate market pricing for Pauls in the aforementioned state.

LOL...

Frankwurst
10-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Of note, I will wait for SoCalSteve to provide input into appropriate market pricing for Pauls in the aforementioned state.[/QUOTE]

As you should. :beer:

TMB
10-02-2009, 09:14 PM
PAul's Racers do NOT mount on the same posts as Canti brakes.

Frankwurst
10-02-2009, 09:22 PM
PAul's Racers do NOT mount on the same posts as Canti brakes.

Good advice/information. :beer:

xjahx
10-02-2009, 10:04 PM
There exist two versions of the Paul Racer brakes: 1. Canti mount, 2. Center mount. The canti mounts, however, are not standard and you need to have your frame designed around them. I assumed that the poster was aware of this? Please refer to this document for additional information:

http://www.paulcomp.com/techdocs/racer.pdf

To the OP, I have the canti-mount variety, as I was going to mount these Racer brakes on my Psychlo-X that I use as the daily beater. It was originally a disc-only frame, but I had a local builder mount canti studs on the rear in accordance with Paul's specs.

PS. Still waiting on market analysis from SoCalSteve.

Louis
10-02-2009, 10:18 PM

Patience.

It takes time to run all those multivariate regressions. ;)

sokyroadie
10-03-2009, 04:57 AM
There exist two versions of the Paul Racer brakes: 1. Canti mount, 2. Center mount. The canti mounts, however, are not standard and you need to have your frame designed around them. I assumed that the poster was aware of this? Please refer to this document for additional information:

To the OP, I have the canti-mount variety, as I was going to mount these Racer brakes on my Psychlo-X that I use as the daily beater. It was originally a disc-only frame, but I had a local builder mount canti studs on the rear in accordance with Paul's specs.

OOPS!

No, the Dumb*#@ OP was not aware of that - Canti's suck and I thought that I had found a solution.

Thanks,

Jeff

jpw
10-03-2009, 06:46 AM

A Moots Psychlo X? You had a local builder weld ti mounts on to the rear seat stays? Interesting approach.

pbjbike
10-03-2009, 08:06 AM
OOPS!

No, the Dumb*#@ OP was not aware of that - Canti's suck and I thought that I had found a solution.

Thanks,

Jeff

If you can find a set of Moots Mounts, you'll be all set. Very cool clamps with canti bosses attached. They allow the use of cantis on bikes without braze ons, or on the early Moots bikes, the ones with the dual dropouts, (one set for road wheels, one for mountain). Change wheels, using the appropriate dropout, then move the brakes up or down.

http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/64/47

Ken Robb
10-03-2009, 10:16 AM
I have cantis on three bikes including my Hampsten by Moots w/YBB. They all work fine but none are set up exactly the same. Different brake/frame combos require different straddle wire lengths to achieve your ideal combination of lever travel/feel vs. power/modulation. Rivendell had a great solution using cable clamps that can be attached anywhere on a cable which provides any length cable you need.

Don't give up too soon. FWIW, I find that i can eliminate squealing by adjusting brakes with adjustable length pad shafts so there is less rather than more of the shaft reaching toward the rim. I think the longer shaft will vibrate while the shorter one doesn't.

jh_on_the_cape
10-03-2009, 11:01 AM
consider V brakes with the little pulley adjuster things... work very well on my wife's commuter bike.