PDA

View Full Version : Project Bike: American Made Components

npla2112
02-12-2005, 12:03 AM
My fellow bike geeks,
A challenge for those up to it.......
I am in the early stages of planning for a new road bike. I would like to have a steel frame made by either Mr. Sachs, Vanilla or Mr. Kellogg. If anyone out there can suggest another U.S. builder I'm all ears.

I am trying to use as many U.S. made components as possible ( not American companies that produce in the Far East or elsewhere) . The rest will be Campy and Brooks for sure. Does anyone have experience using Zero Gravity brakes,
Phil Wood, Chris King or Bold Precision.

I would love to hear from anyone who can tell me about any other American companies for this project.

Thank you,
Nestor

Sandy
02-12-2005, 03:55 AM
Excellent question. A while back, I went over all items relating to my bike, and I was amazed by how many different countries of origin there was. If you look at the frame, fork, component group, tires, tubes, rims, spokes, saddle bags, pedals, pumps,cartridges, saddle,......, you might be very surprised. It really shows how much product we use is not made in the USA. Sort of sad, really.

USAndy

Sandy
02-12-2005, 04:00 AM
Another suggestion on frame-Serotta.

Sandy

Climb01742
02-12-2005, 04:58 AM
if you'd like your frame while you're still alive :rolleyes: yes, consider a serotta or spectrum. i think everyone would sing the praises of phil wood components. chris king headsets are everywhere, maybe a tad over-priced but very good. i've heard great things about zero gravity brakes but know no one who's actually used them. and when it comes to wheels, man, do you have loads of great american hand-built choices...nimble, alchemy, joe young, the list is huge...i'd bet the biggest challenge might be finding u.s. made tires...are there any left? an interesting project...good luck.

cycleman_21
02-12-2005, 05:50 AM
Wow,this sounds like a great project,you simply must keep us posted on the buildup.Campy seems the way to go,would be my choice too.Is there even an american componant groupo out there?in any era?(Please don't pick on me too much,I'm ignorant in that regard.)If your asking?Serotta's got my vote,but all your choices sound good. :beer: :banana:

Ron

Larry
02-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Give David Kirk a call and check out the website.

www.kirkframeworks.com

Top-notch from what I can tell. He really understands the engineering behind a great frame. The beautiful frame finishes are tastey frosting on top of the cake.

Kevin
02-12-2005, 06:16 AM
I have nothing but praise for the Chris King Headset, Phil Wood BB and Bold Precision skewers. I am using all three on my Ottrott and CSI.

Kevin

dirtdigger88
02-12-2005, 06:50 AM
if SRAM ever gets their phontom road group going you will be one step closer

Jason

Michael Katz
02-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Bold Ti seat posts are a work of art and can be ordered full custom for length, set back and clamp color. Fits very tight though in the seat tube of my Spectrum. Wound Up carbon seat post is also made in the US. Good looking, strong, lifetime warranty, great contact patch between clamp and saddle rails. Only criticism I have of it is that angle adjustment on clamp is "notched" rather than "infinate" but so are many other posts. Phil Wood Bottom brackets are the "gold standard" and the stainless steel version is as light as the Record bb, costs about the same but will last almost forever. Chris King headsets are also the "gold standard" and can be ordered in a half a dozen colors .

davep
02-12-2005, 08:43 AM
I have Zero Gravity brakes and they work fine for me, although in our area brakes don't have very demanding work.

Smiley
02-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Albert Bold supplied me the BEST looking seat post one could ever want on their bike . Make sure you ask for a 27.15 mm diameter cause he'll build it to an exact 27.2 mm and that will be way too tight ( Michael Katz take note , I sent mine back to be milled down ).

93legendti
02-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Hmmm, there is this American Co., that makes steel bikes and even has a website and a forum to learn about its products...I think it is called SEROTTA.

http://www.serotta.com/pages/csi.html
http://www.serotta.com/pages/cda.html
http://www.serotta.com/pages/fierte.html

American Classic makes great stuff, Zero Gravity brakes are nice, Easton (American Co.?) makes nice stuff...Sram.....etc., etc.

terry
02-12-2005, 09:16 AM
great idea-a lot easier to accomplish for a mtb than a road bike. for my mtb it was seven frame, post & stem. a nod to the american cnc era with carumba cranks, precision billet brakes/levers. ck h/s & hubs (wheelsmith spokes). the der's are sram-the closest i could come to american made, along with crank bros pedals. non-american stuff: saddle, tires, rims. i'd be interested in the final outcome of your project.

WickedWheels
02-12-2005, 10:16 AM
nm

Larry
02-12-2005, 11:56 AM
I have nothing but praise for the Chris King Headset, Phil Wood BB and Bold Precision skewers. I am using all three on my Ottrott and CSI.

Kevin

Hey out there Kevin,

The Bold Precision skewers look really "minimalistic". (rather tiny.)
I am a heavy and beefy rider.
Do you think these are really strong enough to secure the wheels for a 240 lb. rider?

Larry

Michael Katz
02-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to follow up with Albert about milling the post down.
Michael

Kevin
02-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Hey out there Kevin,

The Bold Precision skewers look really "minimalistic". (rather tiny.)
I am a heavy and beefy rider.
Do you think these are really strong enough to secure the wheels for a 240 lb. rider?

Larry

Larry,

I only weigh 175. But I have never had a problem with the skewers. They have been rock solid, even on the snow beaten roads of New York. Good luck.

Kevin